8 Posts

BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: units never used rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper Schiøtt
Denmark
flag msg tools
This is my second game of battlelore. Fun, close game with my brother. We really enjoyed it but alot of The unit was never moved just because The Battle was happening other places.

Are you guys having The same experience or do you suspect we are doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to the randomness of the card draw, yes, the battle might occur mostly on one of the flanks. I don't have any problem with that, as that situation has sometimes happened in real battles, so I don't think such outcomes are a flaw of the system.

That said, it is of course in your best interest to put to good use the most of your troops, or at least put them in a good position. To that end, here's some advice:

1) Many novice C&C players get obsessed with advance, advance, advance. Take your time instead and spend your first cards to build a strong formation and/or occupy easily defended spots. Also, if your hand is not optimal that way you'll buy time and might get a good card in a later draw.

2) If you're planning an attack, make sure you have in hand the cards to back it up. If you don't, refer to 1)

3) If things go south, don't be shy to retreat; your weakened units might lead the enemy to a trap or give him a switft coup de grace later on.

4) Remember no matter how bad your hand is, you may always spend any card to move any of your units in the board. Spending a 3-unit movement card to properly position just one unit is way better than advancing 3 units at attacking distance of the enemy and leaving them there to be slaughtered.

5) Quick (gamey) trick: in the C&C system, hexagons right in the middle of a divisory line belong to both areas, so units stationed there have a bigger chance of being activated. Use this to your advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you suspect this will happen again, you could recruit more expensive units, or put a couple of ranged attack units in the back for support if you get an opening to use more units. And use the red lines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, strange, it seems like we play a completly different game.
I think there is no time to build up or retreat in this game. You have to control those VP spots as soon as possible or you lose.

I have expereinced the static unit problem, too, and thats why it is better to get more expensive units, instead of plenty of cheap ones. You can move an army of 6-8 point with one single order.
Certainly IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Brennan
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on your cards.

I've played games where all the action takes place on one flank. I've played games when all my action takes place on one flank, and my opponent's takes place on the other flank. And I've played games where the action takes place all over the board. It all depends on what cards you and your opponent have to play.

That seems to be a common feature of all the Commands & Colors games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually this happens if I screw up my build, strategically speaking. Usually toward the end of the game, every unit will get into the action, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Schiøtt
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thanks for The great advice.
I see how preparing to take over an object and Holding in is potentialy better then just rushing it as we did.

We just used The boxed prepared armys but is that a dumb idea because some of them are just more compact/overpowed then others??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
ToxinWaste wrote:
We just used The boxed prepared armys but is that a dumb idea because some of them are just more compact/overpowed then others??

Not too much I don't think. It feels to me that archers are a bit weaker than melee units, so pre-built armies that are mostly archers are a bit rubbish. I still like hiring a few but getting a bunch of them seems inefficient.

You might see some imbalances if one of you picks an army that's more suited for the scenario at hand, but that's true even when building your own lists.

I do think that game gets better once you start building your own armies, but pre-built work just fine to start with. They're what I use when I teach the game to newbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.