Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First Martians has two campaigns. Today we playstested the first one again. We played three scenarios in a one pretty long and awesome sitting.

Tomorrow we will probably spend another sitting to finish the campaign.

Question I'd like to ask you today is about the way you think you gonna play campaign. Will you play 1 scenario per game night? Will you try to do campaign in two sessions? Will you play on a weekend and finish the whole campaign (around 5 scenarios) in a one sitting?

Once scenario is around 60-90 min game.

What do you think?

Poll
What's your approach to campaign (in theory)?
One scenario per game night
First scenario (to get to know the game and learn) & then 2 scenarios per game night
Whole campaign in a one sitting (weekend)
Other (please explain in comments section)
      523 answers
Poll created by trzewik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how many scenarios the campaign has!
If there are 5-6 scenarios at 60-90 min playtime, I can see us binge-playing that on a weekend. If there are more, I think we would rather have the "one scenario per evening" approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the answer to this question highly depends on the "addiction factor (also called "just-one-more-game/level/turn-effect") of your storyline.

In our Group we usually play a given game only once per night (excluding fillers) as we prefer to get a variety of games played. Having said that with Pandemic Legacy we played multiple games per night as we REALLY wanted to know how the story unfolds. So I guess with your game coming up we will have more "single-game-multiple-plays"-nights and boy, am I looking forward to that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
To me the answer to this question highly depends on the "addiction factor (also called "just-one-more-game/level/turn-effect" of your storyline.

In our Group we usually play a given game only once per night (excluding fillers) as we prefer to get a variety of games played. Having said that with Pandemic Legacy we played multiple games per night as we REALLY wanted to know how the story unfolds. So I guess with your game coming up we will have more "single-game-multiple-plays"-nights and Boy, am I looking forward to that!

Just like that for us also...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'll play the tutorial stuff and one scenario right after... Then depending on the game night itself it will be one or two scenarios probably (but knowing my typical game night it will be one scenario each time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife played Pandemic legacy in 2 days from start to finish - I think that might qualify as binge playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Mort
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly it's hard to say without knowing more about the scenarios. If they are contained, like the original Robinson Crusoe scenarios, we'll likely play one. If it's more of a story, well, it depends on how into the story we get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonie Schwalb
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would depend on who I am playing with. If I am playing just with my boyfriend, we would play depending on how we have time - sometimes one scenario, sometimes 2 or even more. (Also depends on the weather outside )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Frye
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it is more about overall setup teardown time. My game time is is usually in infrequent big chunks so when i have the time I binge play my big games solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We'd probably play it once a month, occasionally more than that. We play variety, and also between his mandatory overtime period spanning end of, beginning of month, and my conditions, that contributes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming culture in one of my groups is all about "what's new, what's next?" So they like to play new games, but they like to play lots of different games in a session. No way that group would play 1st Martians in campaign mode.

My main group plays every week for 3½ hours, so once per week for one scenario is the "best" we could manage. We would probably play through one campaign in a series then have a break and then come back to play the second campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Since I was one of the few who voted "Whole campaign in a one sitting", I'll note that in my game group when we played:
1 Pandemic Legacy, we played 4 months at a time. So that would be about 6 games because of losses.
2 Times Stories, we played base + Marcy Case in one day.

These were done on additional gaming days/nights where this was planned rather than the typical gaming group meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our Monday gaming group would likely play one or two scenarios in one setting, if they were 60-90 minutes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on the fence about this game due to it being app driven, but after watching Ignacy explain and justify in interviews why the app was needed I now understand and am willing to give this game a try (at least that is what the receipt says on the pre-order I just placed). That said I voted "Other" because with my gaming group I will likely only get through a single session during a game night. However, if I am going at this game solo I will most defiantly try to dedicate an entire weekend to exploring and experiencing everything there is to do an see in Ignacy's interpretation of Mars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.