Subject: I want this rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
David Avila
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
-Very attractive game

-Highly thematic. Adventure filled! Possibly cards you can hold in your hands.

-Dealing and trading optional, preferably not highly confrontational.

I lik the look of pillars of the earth. El Grande also looks good, even if it doesn't fit the requirements so well.

Please help,

Dav

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillars of the Earth is a great game. No card trading, though. Huge theme particularly if you've read Ken Follett's novel on which the game is based. It is a beautiful game.

You might consider San Marco if you can find a copy. It's not card trading so much as card splitting with the other players choosing the splits. It is a beautiful game as well. It's theme is somewhat contrived.

Lord of the Rings is beautiful to look at and involves collective and cooperative card play to prevent bad things happening. A la the novel, you are hobbits in the Fellowship trying to deliver the Ring to Mordor and the Crack of Mount Doom, before Sauron (and, depending on if you use the expansions, the Nazgul) gets to you.

Cleopatra is gorgeous but involves no card trading but set collection to build a temple for Cleopatra. The theme is well done.

For sheer attractiveness and bragging rights, the 3D Settlers of Catan is amazing but expensive. It, of course, involves card trading and set collection and involves the civilization building theme of Settlers.

None are particularly confrontational. Lord of the Rings is probably the most adventure filled game on the list.

There are any number of games that are less beautiful that are tons of fun to play for sheer tension but they are much more confrontational as a trade-off. I think of RoboRally, Formula De', Dungeon Twister, Dungeoneer, Talisman, and a few others. You're likely going to get a lot of other suggestions that I don't mention here.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are good games that are attractive, thematic, adventure-like, and probably not too confrontational:

(You mentioned Pillars of the Earth and El Grande, which I wouldn't say are especially thematic or adventurous (or even very attractive in El Grande's case), so I took that in into consideration. Also, you didn't mention number of players or lenghth so I won't worry about that.)

Lord of the Rings - Opinions vary about whether this has a strong theme or feels too mechanical. Personally, I love it. Very tense game, nice bits. Cooperative.

Goldland - Exploration/adventure. Goldsieber's games are all very attractive.

Tikal - attractive, exploration/adventure

Tongiaki - exploration/adventure

10 Days in Africa - exploration/travel

Entdecker - maybe not "very attactive"

Pirate's Cove - light game

Blue Moon City - attractive, a little confrontational though

Niagara - attractive

Jenseits von Theben - maybe a fit? New edition should be released in July. Nominated for SdJ this year.

Attractive but maybe light on theme or adventure, depending on your imagination:

Samurai - beautiful game, great gameplay
Taluva - you build a volcano rising out of the sea
Lost Cities - exploration theme, nice cards
Thurn & Taxis - nice looking, great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a game, and I've forgotten the name and am hoping someone will read this and help me remember so I can keep track of it. It was a one word or very short title like "Adventures" or something...

It's a 1930's pulp worldwide adventure/race to get the mulligan, defeat the evil baddies and generally save the world. It did have cards from what I could tell and it had characters that each player would assume (similar in concept Arkham Horror (without the horror)).

It's in development right now/playtesting, and might not have been picked up. But it does have it's own geek page. The playtest pictures I remember looked attractive and it seems like it might be one you'd like to keep your finger on the pulse of.

NOW IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER THE NAME.

In the meantime, have you looked at Age of Empires III? That's another gorgeous one in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
How about Shadows Over Camelot?

Very attractive, highly thematic, adventure filled, cards you hold in your hands, a tiny dash of dealing and trading, and not confrontational at all since it's a cooperative game! (Bonus: Optional traitor working against everyone)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigrdrifa wrote:
There is a game, and I've forgotten the name and am hoping someone will read this and help me remember so I can keep track of it. It was a one word or very short title like "Adventures" or something...

It's a 1930's pulp worldwide adventure/race to get the mulligan, defeat the evil baddies and generally save the world. It did have cards from what I could tell and it had characters that each player would assume (similar in concept Arkham Horror (without the horror)).

It's in development right now/playtesting, and might not have been picked up. But it does have it's own geek page. The playtest pictures I remember looked attractive and it seems like it might be one you'd like to keep your finger on the pulse of.

NOW IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER THE NAME.

In the meantime, have you looked at Age of Empires III? That's another gorgeous one in my opinion.

I believe you are talking about http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/28519

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep it is! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mills
Guernsey
Vale
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi David,

I would second Shadows over Camelot, very attractive design.

Return of the Heroes, nice theme and components, better set of rules here on geek.

Hoping to get Lineage 2 from Korea in stock next week as well which might fit the bill, will need to see it first mind!

Depending on your definition of adventure, I would also keep an eye on Age of Empires 3 (also out next week) it looks a real winner and you mentioned Pillars and El Grande which I wouldn't class as adventures as such

Maybe Lost Valley? Exploring, tile laying, hunting etc.

Tales of the Arabian Nights would be ideal I suspect, but tracking an English copy down is nightmare zombie

Cheers,
Al.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.