Caylus» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Caylus Marathon! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 3 games of Caylus today. I won two, lost one.

THe first game was a 3 player game with Lorne, John, and me. Still smarting from my 3rd place finish last week, I was intent on doing better this time so I spent some time before the game actually mapping out a few ideas.

My main thrust was to hit the prestige buildings late in the game (in particular, I wanted the one that gives 2 favors). I looked at the chain needed to make that possible and made a mental note of what was needed to get there. I got off to a slow start and made a few early mistakes that I thought were costly. Fortunately, my stellar play more than compensated and I rebounded nicely. By mid game, I was raking in quite a lot of resources and I started to seperate myself from the rabble (Lorne and John). I slowly got all the right buildings I needed in place, but before I got the chance to buy what I wanted, JOhn swooped in via the Favor Track and took the building I had my sights on. I tad peaved, I did the next best thing and waited a turn or two so I could buy the castle. It wouldn't give me the 2 favors I wanted, but it did offer a nice 25PP... an adequate compensation. Getting that in play put me over the top... both John and Lorne were ready to call it again, but asked them to indulge me one more turn for a legitimate finish - I wanted to see how many points I could put up.

The game ended on the following turn with a huge victory for me:

Brian: 119
John: 100
Lorne: 78

Looking back, I think I was helped a lot during the mid game when I sat uncontested on the #1 turn order spot for at least 5 turns or so. This really helped me get the buildings I needed.

After that, Lorne had to go home for some wife time, so John and I decided to go play 2-player Caylus at a nearby coffee shop.

The first game was pretty close throughout, but I eventually got a slight lead at the end and thought I was going to win. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention to the Favor Track and John's resources... o nthe last turn, he used a favor to build the castle, giving him a 25 point bump. This was quite frustrating for me because I could have used the provost to delay the game for another turn. Feeling cocky, I didn't, and I ended the game with a whole bunch of resources that I could have spent in the castle.

FInal score:

John: 132
Brian: 122

The final game went a bit better for me. I did a lot of building and dominated the road. JOhn was playing a bit sloppy while I was quite focused on devloping the Castle. JOhn also made a big error, in his own words, of not devloping the building favor track. It was a strange game in that the lawyer was never built, so residential buildings required advancing on the building favor track - I did, JOhn didn't, giving me a leg up. Towards the end, I ran away with it.

FInal score:

Brian 148
John: 124

Regarding the two player game, I was pleasently suprised to see that it was still quite fun. I'm usually skeptical about 2-player adaptions of multi-player games, but Caylus for 2 was still quite good.

It's a great, great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report.

In your estimation, what were the relative lengths of these matches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game took about 2.5 hours. The two-player games took a little less than 2 hours each.

I played another two-player game ysterday and one by a single point! The game came down to counting resources and deniers!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did everyone get a 'eurogame hug' after the tie??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.