Popular Tags: multiple-intelligences [+] [View All]
Strike Force was robbed!
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Blokus Trigon is a tile-laying game. Each player starts with a number of differently shaped tiles and tries to place more of his tiles into a hexagonal grid than his opponents can.

Components
88 pieces in 4 colors (red, yellow, blue, and green), hexagonal board, and instructions.

Gameplay
The game is very similar to the original Blokus. Players are competing to fit as many of their pieces onto the board as possible. Starting positions vary for the 3 player game but you must start in a corner for the 2 and 4 player games. After the first piece is played, additional pieces must touch existing pieces at a corner. The placement is trickier than in Blokus because the triangles often allow placement in the middle of a piece by either putting the corner of a new piece against the old one, or by laying a side of the new piece against a corner of an old one. This also makes it more difficult to block out an area than it was in Blokus.
The winner is the player who has the fewest triangles left once all players agree they are unable play anymore pieces.

Intelligences
This review is part of a series of reviews I’m doing as I evaluate games my wife may use in her classroom or that I’m using with my Boy Scouts. Apart from the normal review, I try to identify the kinds of intelligence that the game will use. For an explanation of multiple intelligences, see: my blog post at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/786097

Logical-Mathematical Intelligence
This game does rely slightly on mathematical skills because having the fewest squares left is a goal. The counting is fairly simple though and could be handled by most school-age children. In a pinch you could count big pieces vs. small pieces to make it easier.

Spatial Intelligence
The game definitely favors the spatially aware. The key is to visualize the pieces you will play several turns out while attempting to guess what your opponents will do with theirs. The triangular pieces are more difficult to imagine and may help kids to stretch their abilities a bit.

Age Appropriateness
The game is appropriate for kids of all ages. I’ve played it successfully with kids as young as 6. You can handicap the game by either reducing piece count or less obviously, by playing your smaller pieces first.

Recommendation
Blokus Trigon is a great game. It is as much fun as Blokus and it is a little harder to block people out, which is often better when playing with young children. In addition, it does a much better job of playing with three players than Blokus. If three is a common number for you, you should definitely consider Blokus Trigon over Blokus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review - I'm a believer in the Multiple Intelligences approach to learning, and it's nice to see games categorized by such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.