United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
I ♥ Alt Text
badge
I really ♥ Alt Text
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading through the rules before (hopefully) playing tonight.

On page 8, the instruction manual says "Play each card from your Hand by placing it in front of you, face up, one at a time. As each card is played, you may resolve its Abilities before playing the next card."

By saying may instead of must, it sounds like I don't have to finish resolving one card before playing the next card? Can I play three cards, resolve an ability from #2, then #1, then another from #2, and finally one from #3 before playing #4?

On page 9, the instruction manual says "Remember to carefully choose the order you play your cards for the best results."

Why? If I can resolve the cards in any order, why does it matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b414213562 wrote:
I'm reading through the rules before (hopefully) playing tonight.

On page 8, the instruction manual says "Play each card from your Hand by placing it in front of you, face up, one at a time. As each card is played, you may resolve its Abilities before playing the next card."

By saying may instead of must, it sounds like I don't have to finish resolving one card before playing the next card? Can I play three cards, resolve an ability from #2, then #1, then another from #2, and finally one from #3 before playing #4?

On page 9, the instruction manual says "Remember to carefully choose the order you play your cards for the best results."

Why? If I can resolve the cards in any order, why does it matter?

I believe you resolve any ability on each card as they get played, although I don't really see the big point. I just play the cards as I do in Alien Legendary Encounters, play all of them and resolve them as I see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
I ♥ Alt Text
badge
I really ♥ Alt Text
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
I believe you resolve any ability on each card as they get played, although I don't really see the big point. I just play the cards as I do in Alien Legendary Encounters, play all of them and resolve them as I see fit.

I'm used to deck builders like Dominion, where the game is very firm that each action card must be resolved fully before playing the next action card.

(Otherwise, I could do something like Masquerade: +2 Cards, and wait on trashing a card because I just drew a Smithy. Play the Smithy, draw a card I actually want to trash, so go back and finish Masquerade.)

I was surprised to see the instruction manual explicitly allowing this kind of play, until I got to the next page where it seemed like that wasn't the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The usage of "may." is because you don't have to activate a cards ability in the Recruitment Phase if it has one. So for example if you have Powder Keg in your hand and lay him down you may choose to draw 2 cards. If you do then he can no longer be used as a leader. If you choose not to draw 2 cards he can be taken as a leader with Combat Value 2 instead.

Other cards like Wildcard who can be activated in either Recruitment or Tactical Phase but not both is another reason. You may choose to use his Recruitment Phase power if you want or save him to use in Tactical or even bypass both to use him as a Leader.

You need to be careful how you lay down cards is because of effects like Dropzone who states "Retire 1 card from your Hand." if you have already laid a card down it is no longer in your Hand so you can't retire it. You would have to play Dropzone first then retire any cards you want then continue with your turn by placing other cards down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
b414213562 wrote:
[q="Nusferatu"]
(Otherwise, I could do something like Masquerade: +2 Cards, and wait on trashing a card because I just drew a Smithy. Play the Smithy, draw a card I actually want to trash, so go back and finish Masquerade.)

I was surprised to see the instruction manual explicitly allowing this kind of play, until I got to the next page where it seemed like that wasn't the intent.

The intent is to not allow players to do something like this for example "You can't lay down Powder Keg and Draw 2 Cards then use Dropzone to Retire Powder Keg to gain more Recruitment. Or you can't lay down Powder Keg then play Sparks and then choose to user the Draw 2 ability to get a card you just placed on the top of your deck. When you play a card down you must resolve all its abilities if you choose to if you don't that card is done in that phase. "

We are gathering these types of questions as they come up and are making changes to the rulebook and updating our FAQ. We plan on putting up the amended rulebook here on BGG so people can obtain it and it will be used in a 2nd printing if we have one, if not we will include it with the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
I ♥ Alt Text
badge
I really ♥ Alt Text
mbmbmbmbmb
spyglassgames wrote:
The usage of "may" is because you don't have to activate a cards ability in the Recruitment Phase if it has one. So for example if you have Powder Keg in your hand and lay him down you may choose to draw 2 cards. If you do then he can no longer be used as a leader. If you choose not to draw 2 cards he can be taken as a leader with Combat Value 2 instead.

Other cards like Wildcard who can be activated in either Recruitment or Tactical Phase but not both is another reason. You may choose to use his Recruitment Phase power if you want or save him to use in Tactical or even bypass both to use him as a Leader.

You need to be careful how you lay down cards is because of effects like Dropzone who states "Retire 1 card from your Hand." if you have already laid a card down it is no longer in your Hand so you can't retire it. You would have to play Dropzone first then retire any cards you want then continue with your turn by placing other cards down.

That makes sense.

Is the intent that you must choose to use or not use each ability on one played card before playing the next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
b414213562 wrote:
spyglassgames wrote:

That makes sense.

Is the intent that you must choose to use or not use each ability on one played card before playing the next?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.