Subject: Zoey Samaras Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about deckbuilding with the Dunwich Investigators and I thought Zoey Samaras seems interesting due to her 4 Willpower.

4 Willpower means that she would be good at casting spells. Her ability to have 5 level 0 non-Guardian cards opens up some interesting ideas.

Here is my first pass:
2 Blinding Light
2 Rite of Seeking
1 Holy rosary

She doesn't need attack spells like Shriveling, since she can use guns like the 45.

Blinding Light gives her a nice chance to evade and do damage against a low evade enemy.

Rite of Seeking gives her a big boost to investigate.
Holy Rosary gives her a boost to Willpower to make the spells even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Copenhaver
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some enemies soon that had some sort of weapon immunity similar to immunities in Arkham Horror

This would cause a need for some spells or other means to increase combat outside of the Guardians guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Copenhaver101 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some enemies soon that had some sort of weapon immunity similar to immunities in Arkham Horror

This would cause a need for some spells or other means to increase combat outside of the Guardians guns.

This would become problematic though for players who want to use one Investigator through an entire campaign unless the scenarios themselves provide "magical" weapons or begin to extend spells into other classes. I can see a guardian spell called "enchant weapon" that gives assets the "magical" property to bypass magical immunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rite of Seeking certainly makes sense. I'd be inclined to make all her off-class cards pick up Clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Rite of Seeking certainly makes sense. I'd be inclined to make all her off-class cards pick up Clues.

Good point, although it depends on if she is solo or in a group.

Solo for sure I would probably stick with clue cards, but I think in a group with a seeker she would only be helping with clues not leading the charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, in a group she's Buffy.

"You guys look for clues, I'll create a distraction."

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to kill them all. Think that'll distract them?"

Edit: Seen the preview "unboxing" of her Signature cards. I had no idea how Buffy she was. I love all these new Investigators so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Copenhaver101 wrote:

This would become problematic though for players who want to use one Investigator through an entire campaign unless the scenarios themselves provide "magical" weapons or begin to extend spells into other classes. I can see a guardian spell called "enchant weapon" that gives assets the "magical" property to bypass magical immunity.

I don't think I'd like to see spells outside of Mystic. I think the elegant solution would be to present some other option through the scenario either through a location ability, campaign specific ally or asset...

That said even without those things I don't think it would be the end of the world if there was an enemy with physical damage immunity or something similar like damage resistance. It was an aspect in the original boardgame you had to overcome. It would just mean you'd have to deal with that enemy some other way like evading it. Also it's possible we'll see other ways to deal with enemies similar to the effects on Close Call, Disc of Itzamna or Barricade. That would feel more thematically satisfying I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't expect to see much immunity because certain decks would just instantly have no way to win which causes a terrible player experience.

If you did have any immunity, there would have to be a specific way around it as part of the scenario to ensure that this cannot happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting back to Zoey, I'm thinking that Blinding Light and other Evasion effects are actually great for her, since she gets that bonus Resource every time an Enemy re-engages.

Not sold on Holy Rosary for anything but theme, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I wouldn't expect to see much immunity because certain decks would just instantly have no way to win which causes a terrible player experience.

If you did have any immunity, there would have to be a specific way around it as part of the scenario to ensure that this cannot happen.

Maybe in a scenario where the point is to avoid and escape a monster, instead of fighting it head on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tesoriero
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm planning to use 2x "Ward of Protection". It's the only card that cancels Encounter cards (equivalent to the staple "Test of Will" in LOTR).

http://arkhamdb.com/card/01065
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtesorie wrote:
I'm planning to use 2x "Ward of Protection". It's the only card that cancels Encounter cards (equivalent to the staple "Test of Will" in LOTR

I was thinking the same or scrying. Also, with her signature item, I think it'll be an accessory, so I'm not sure I'd go for holy rosary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawn to the Flame might be a good fit - she can handle most Treacheries with her Willpower, and most Enemies with her Guardian cards.

Scrying and Ward of Protection are fine cards for anyone, not so much particularly with Zoey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further thoughts on possible Zoey off-class cards:

Working a Hunch
Drawn to the Flame
Rite of Seeking

...so that she doesn't always have to be Clueless

Blinding Light
Stray Cat
Cunning Distraction

but not Elusive, because you want to stay there and for them to Engage with you again. Ka-ching!

Leo de Luca

This is a Zoey card because she has a decent chance of being able to afford the cost.

Edit: I've decided Stray Cat and Cunning Distraction are the Zoey-est cards and will definitely be in my deck. Zoey's got chickens, and other scraps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
StarkeRealm wrote:
dboeren wrote:

Maybe in a scenario where the point is to avoid and escape a monster, instead of fighting it head on.

Well, it's not like we don't have enemies that are already more vulnerable to certain tactics. The new Carnevale POD, for instance, has an enemy (already spoiled in the FFG previews) who
Spoiler (click to reveal)
sets his Fight and Evade difficulties to the investigator's base Strength and Agility, respectively. Thus, Agnes with a bat is actually stronger than Roland with .45 against him, and Wendy with Backstab is almost guaranteed to one-shot him without committing a single card.

Increased vulnerability or resistant to certain cards makes sense here in a way that it didn't for Lord of the Rings. I absolutely think there's room for an occasional Joseph Curwin. Flat invincibility shouldn't be used for gameplay reasons (unless the enemy's invincible to everyone), but beyond that, I'd be happy to see some enemies where certain deck types confer advantages, so long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Here's a quick hypothetical I've whipped up to demonstrate:

In this scenario, you can't use most non-Mystic weapons and events against the boss. You can, however, still use passive boosts, committed cards, or even abilities like Physical Training and Encyclopaedia that don't target the boss directly. Furthermore, even Mystics can only take off half the boss's health at first; when it loses its invulnerability, it also loses its resistances, so everyone's on equal footing.

Thus, thematics are preserved (since merely shooting a ghost is just silly), non-Mystics still have the potential to soften the boss up just as much as Mystics can (albeit without the same reliability), and Mystics aren't allowed to simply dispatch an important threat and end the scenario early.

...Okay, that was a pretty long digression. We should probably spin this off into a different topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tesoriero
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Drawn to the Flame might be a good fit - she can handle most Treacheries with her Willpower, and most Enemies with her Guardian cards.

Scrying and Ward of Protection are fine cards for anyone, not so much particularly with Zoey.

Maybe my opinion is too biased toward Core set (specifically scenario 2), since that's all I've played (and only solo). My dreams of getting more than 3 cultists to the victory display have informed my card choices.

And, in that light, Drawn to the Flame would only accelerate the doom countdown. Countering doom was my main thought for Ward of Protection.

That said, I agree that I'm likely to be clueless with Zoey's low intel. Also, I totally agree that Leo DeLuca makes a great choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:

The thing I have to wonder is Ward of Protection so good that every Dunwich Investigator takes 1 or 2? The thing is that now you are talking 8 core sets...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not every investigator can afford to pay the sanity loss for Ward of Protection. The Treachery's effect might be less of an issue for some investigators than taking the sanity loss.

That's what makes Ward Of Protection a much more balanced card than something like LOTR's A Test Of Will.

I would consider something like Lucky! or Machete to be more hotly contested. That said if you are trying to support 4 investigators with one collection don't buy eight core sets (that way madness lies) just live within the restrictions you have and if it really feels needed than just proxy the extra cards.

That said even though Zoey can take Ward Of Protection I'm not sure if that's her best option out of faction considering she has really limited slots. I do agree it would be nice to leverage her high Willpower so Blinding Light would be a nice include considering she's not that great at evading and evading is a great option to have at your disposal if you are planning on taking on a lot of enemies (which Zoey will judging by her card). To play to another strength perhaps something to use those extra resources you are acquiring like a Hyperawareness to plug the holes in her stat line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zoey team up thoughts.

Lucky! x2 for sure.

I'm going to try splashing
Blinding Light
"Look What I Found!"
Working a Hunch

Other good ideas:
Switchblade
Liquid Courage
Hyperawareness
Scrying
Cunning Distraction (This plus Taunt is a good way to exhaust an entire room full of enemies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Jonas Albrecht wrote:
Cunning Distraction (This plus Taunt is a good way to exhaust an entire room full of enemies)

Quick note in case you're unaware, Cunning Distraction will exhaust (and, if engaged, disengage) every enemy in a single location all by itself, regardless of where those enemies are positioned (whose threat area, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
Jonas Albrecht wrote:

Quick note in case you're unaware, Cunning Distraction will exhaust (and, if engaged, disengage) every enemy in a single location all by itself, regardless of where those enemies are positioned (whose threat area, etc.).

Oh, I had misintepreted it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.