Subject: risk 2210 v godstorm? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
erik dillon
United States
Prattville
Alabama
flag msg tools
me and my friend play risk a lot and i was gunna get godstorm or risk 2210 and i was wonderin wich 1 is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with 2210. Both are a nice "upgrade" in terms of rules and complexity, but 2210 strikes a great balance with its choices. It's always played really well with any group I've played with. Godstorm is still pretty good though, maybe one of your friends will pick it up....

Also, Amazon has a game called "Nexus Ops" on sale for $9.95 right now. I'd recommend getting this as well! It will be out of print at some point, and might be a nice change of pace. Sounds like it'd be a hit with your group...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
jspoto wrote:
Also, Amazon has a game called "Nexus Ops" on sale for $9.95 right now. I'd recommend getting this as well! It will be out of print at some point, and might be a nice change of pace. Sounds like it'd be a hit with your group...

I agree. If you're a Risk fan, you're sure to enjoy Nexus Ops. And $9.95 is a steal of price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is a good game and if you can get it for 20 bucks or less a new brainer of a purchace.

Risk 2210 is better though then both Nexus Ops and Godstorm. Godstorm has nicer figures and is in ways prettier but unfortunately there is a lot they did not do right with the game.

For one the underworld is basically useless it easts up time but has such a marginal effect on the actual game it is really not worth worrying about.

Also the cards are not balenced well at all. The blue cards.. the female goddess cards if you will are miles better then any others because they all tend to be perminent effects that are ongoing and as such have to huge an impact on the game.

The cards in 2210 are well balanced and allow more for different paths to points. Yes you are still trying to get and hold as many countries as possible but now you have land sea and space and if someone gets too strong a hold in one are you are able to pursue others. Also you can get a lot of points picking up diplomat cards.

I think they peaked with 2210. I have played 4 that came out after it and none of them were as good though at least the Star Wars ones played pretty different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We like both 2210 and GodStorm and LOTR Trilogy Edtion as well. I would get 2210 first and then go to GodStorm. We got GodStorm first and would have learned it a little faster if we had 2210 to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all of the previous posters bring up legitimate points, but I think what will make the biggest difference for your group is - which THEME do you like better? I'm partial to the fantasy/mythology theme myself, so I prefer Godstorm. However, I DO agree that in terms of gameplay, 2210 is a little "cleaner".

Either way, you can't go wrong.

And here's one more piece of advice -

BUY NEXUS OPS, TOO!!!

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erik dillon
United States
Prattville
Alabama
flag msg tools
thanks for all the advise and ill get 2210 and nexus ops if it rly is only 10$ cause i was lookin into that to... still dont quite get how it plays tho.. wel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus ops works on a victory point system. First to fifteen wins. You earn these buy either defeating enemies in battle and or by meeting conditions on cards you collect. These conditions vary but are often.. defeat this type of unit or attack with this kind of unit or control the most of this kind of terrain.

It is a fun game though and I would suggest you weaken the power of the monolth in it as out of the box the game becomes he/she who holds the monolith wins and that is often just a matter of he/she who went first.

The combat is similar to risk... as you are throwing 6 sided against anothers 6 sided roll.. but at the same time different. It works on a hyarachy where the greater creatures attack first moving down the list to the weakest. Where in risk it is a matter of how many units and if there is a commander. The Nexus Ops meachics ad a bit more depth to the combat by adding a few more desisions to make.

Over all though Risk 2210 is a bit heavier in the strategy department but both are different enough to warrent both and Nexus Ops has a faster play time which is nice.

I wish Godstorm played as good as it looks because it looks fantastic the problem is in making it different from 2210 they ended up loosing a lot of what makes 2210 so good. I admire they didn't just re-skin it but I really wish more time and play testing could have gone into it to make the cards more balenced and usefull and made the afterlife something that had a bearing on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
United States
Amherst
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
riledguy wrote:

Also the cards are not balenced well at all. The blue cards.. the female goddess cards if you will are miles better then any others because they all tend to be perminent effects that are ongoing and as such have to huge an impact on the game.

I disagree. The magic cards are IMO actually slightly weaker than the other miracle cards. Although they have an ongoing effect it's usually a small bonus that builds up over time. Therefore most of them are only useful if you get them in the early turns of the game. Also most only take effect on the turn after you get them.

The other factor which weakens the Magic cards is that there are 3 cards that can harm Magic cards that are already in play, 2 in the War deck, and 1 in the death deck. Since the War cards are usually bought up very quickly, and since the 2 that affect relics are very cheap to play, you'll probably lose at least one of your relics before it does you any good (unless it's a cr@ppy relic that doesn't do much anyway (*Cough* Tree of Life *Cough*!)

I'm not saying that relics are weak. Their main strength is, as you said, that they stick around for the whole game, even if the goddess herself gets banished. But they certainly aren't unbalancingly powerful.

Question: How many times have you played Godstorm? Maybe you should try it again. I found that after playing 2210 I found the changes in Godstorm to be jarring at first, but later I came to appreciate the differences between the two, and now I find Godstorm to be nearly as good as 2210 (I agree that 2210 is still the best Risk Variant out there though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both a TON of times, I think that 2210 is far superior to Godstorm, but seeing how you already said you would get it, I don't know why I'm posting this. Oh yeah, I find nexus ops to be a great game when you don't have the time for Risk, or when you don't have enough players to make it interesting. You can easily play 3 or 4 games of nexus ops in the time it takes to play one game of 2210.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard a lot of good things about Risk:2210, but it has never appealed to me. I own Godstorm and love it. I love the artwork, design, and pieces. I love the idea of the battle of the gods and having gods help you in battle. I guess it comes down to what appeals to you most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanmaesen wrote:
I've heard a lot of good things about Risk:2210, but it has never appealed to me. I own Godstorm and love it. I love the artwork, design, and pieces. I love the idea of the battle of the gods and having gods help you in battle. I guess it comes down to what appeals to you most.

Yeah, aesthetically, Godstorm wins the bout. The Gods theme is more appealing than futuristic apocalypse (to me, anyway...I can get that fix in many other ways), the pieces in Godstorm are amazingly well-crafted. I don't even mind the chaotic decks and cards that do some crazy stuff during the game.

The big knock against Godstorm is the map size. It's just too small, too crowded. Five players just doesn't work.

It really comes down to number of players. With 2, I'd probably pick Godstorm. With 3, it's a toss-up. More than that, I'd have to give the definitive nod to 2210.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Crosmer
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
Haha.... funny to see people say that one is so much better than the other...

I've played both for years---many, many times. I also implemented a Java program that lets you play both online (cruddy AI though). Honestly I think they are both great games. Both are carefully balanced; no deck is "overpowering," regardless of what anyone else claims. I've won through just about any strategy at some point.

Aside from the theme, the main differences (in my opinion) are:
1. Risk 2210 seems to feel tactically a little closer to classic Risk. Cards tend to support advances on the map, which is larger (more territories, counting water and moon) than Godstorm. In Godstorm, the cards are twice as expensive to purchase, and with good reason... miracles are powerful. They tend to drive tactics more, rather than just supporting. For example, if I draw "Champions Arise", I might decide---from that 1 card---to hunker down and build faith for a surprise assault in 1 or 2 epochs. Miracles decks are defined by a strategy (Sky = defense, Magic = economy, War = attack, Death = attack but more evil), while three of the Command decks in 2210 are defined by territory type. In 2210, I might decide to "go for the moon" and just buy a bunch of moon cards to support plus maybe a diplomat to balance it out.
2. Rules and card effects are slightly easier to sort out in 2210. Occassionally crazy stuff happens in Godstorm, which is fun, but you might want to have an FAQ handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
United States
Amherst
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Finally someone who actually likes Godstorm! I have a feeling that a lot of the people who rated Godstorm low are people who got flattened in one game by a superior player using a killer card combo, and then were convinced that the game was "broken" or "all about luck".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.