Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has fabulous components, and the insert is almost perfect. There is a sheet that shows you where everything goes, which is quite helpful.

The minor issue is that the insert isn't deep enough to hold a stack of 18 Emperor Medals. But the difference is only a couple millimeters, so I'm not concerned about that.

What really has me perplexed is that, even though the game includes a nice bag for the 112 orange-backed tiles, there's no place to put it! I tried to flatten it as much as I could to fit it on top of all the other components, filling the dead space between the board and the box lid. That would be ideal. (I hate when that empty space lets the components "float" around in the box and make a mess.) But it doesn't fit, and I'm not about to mangle the nice cardboard tiles trying to force it in.

So where do you keep the bag of tiles? I suppose I could put some of the tiles in the large well that holds the money, but that would annoy me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the tiles out of the black cloth bag and stacked them very neatly into a plastic ziplock so that there are 16 short stacks inside the bag. The plastic bag helps to keep the stacks intact. The ziplock is now very flat and fits in the space between the top and the board.

The Emperor Medals: I simply transferred a couple over to the next well (on top of the middle-sized Event Programs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lebo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I too thought it was a little odd trying to get all the pieces back in the box. The plastic tray not being deep enough to handle all the Emperor medals is only a minimal distraction, but the 112 orange backed tiles is more challenging. I stack as many as I can in the space they are suppose to go in the pastic tray and the rest I put in the bag and flatten it out on top of the board. It only takes a little effort, but the box does close completely.

I had a few other observational notes. To cut costs DOW which initially started to produce their games in Germany, switched to China. I think this happened about the time of Memoir 44. However, I would like to state that regardless of where DOW's games are being produced, they are of exceptionally high quality. However, that being said, Colosseum was the first game to abandon the linen finish for the box in favor of a glossy finish. I prefer the linen finish.

Also, the plastic tray is beige as opposed to being black, which may or may not be a conscious choice, but what this is all leading to is that I suspect the company they chose in China to produce this game was not the same one as their previous games, hence the minor issues mentioned in this thread.

Regardless, the game looks great, the components are of extremely high quality, and I can't wait to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mueller
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board does lay nicely in the top of the component tray. I didn't notice a problem putting the board in first, then the rules, player aids and bag of assets on top of the board.

I find that you can flatten the bag a bit if you slide it around quickly or "shake" it on a flat surface. The tiles should spread out in the bag enough to lay on the board and close the box.

Also, I put the few medals that stick up in the large coin tray instead of in the medal tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I wasn't able to get the bag flat enough but after putting the tiles in stacks in the bags (doesn't need to be perfect) I managed to fit everything in there. As previously mentioned the box has a very glossy finish that I dislike in comparison to the other DoW boxes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of this box either. The easiest and fastest way to pack it away and get it ready for the next play is to have all of the orange-backed tokens in the bag, but as mentioned the box won't close all the way if you do this. The alternatives are packaging the tokens in another container (like the ziplock mentioned) or keeping the bag out of the box (not a good option). I found this to be slightly disappointing as DoW has never let me down with their in-box storage before.

I'm also not a fan of the box finish. It seems like a minor gripe, but the thing is so hard to open up, since the glossy finish that overlaps the box edges doesn't slide well against the botton of the box. I suppose that this finish might have an advantage in regards to protection from liquids, but I would have prefered the same linen finish that DoW has used in the past.

On the other hand, the board for Colosseum is one of DoW's best. Mine laid out perfectly flat and the seams fit very snugly. I've had minor problems with warping on the Shadows over Camelot and Cleopatra boards, so this was nice. And heck, Colosseum is another great game, so I'm willing to deal with a half-closed, hard to open glossy box if I have to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed in the box/storage as well. I can get past it though if the game plays as well as it looks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Goris
Australia
Croydon
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I swapped the black tile bag from Colosseum with the white cube bag that came with Balloon Cup. The Balloon Cup bag seems too big for the small box and 50 odd coloured cubes that come with this game. As the Balloon Cup bag is bigger than the Colosseum bag it seemed logical to swap the two. It still takes some effort to put the orange backed tiles into the bag and flatten them enough that it fits into Colosseum with the lid all the way down, but it's definitely doable. As a bonus, the smaller black bag fits into Balloon Cup a little nicer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.