Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Westermeyer
South Africa
Durban
Kwazulu-Natal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I along with several other South Africans would like to enter the Settlers of Catan World Championship tournament.

We attended the 2006 Essen Spiel which was a huge thrill for us and we want other South Africans to become a part of this world wide phenomenon. The most logical way of doing this would be to hold our own national championship event and then enter the top two players in the world championship held at Essen Spiel.

Unfortunately, I am having great difficulty finding any information on how to do this. This I find rather surprising as one would think that such an important event would be easily available to all.

So my questions, to anyone who could please assist me with this matter, are the following:

1) How does one run an official Settlers of Catan national tournament?
2) Where would the results of this tournament be posted?
3) Who do we contact about entering the world championship tournament?
4) What are the requirements neccessary to run an event such as this?
5) Who are the Settlers of Catan world championship officials and how
can they be contacted? (I have tried Spielezentrum Herne at : spz-info@spielezentrum.de as they are supposed to be the official organizers of the event without any success as they just return my e-mail to me)
6) Why is this important event not promoted in any way?

We do have a great many South Africans who love the game. For those people a tournament such as this would be tremendously exciting.

Happy gaming to all at BGG

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try checking with some of the people who have run the qualifying tournaments in other countries. I know they were run in Australia and Malaysia last year (and lots of other countries too I imagine). There were a whole bunch of posts from the Malaysian guy last year.

Also you could try contacting the Australian Games Expo to ask them who they arranged it with in Germany. Although given that the expo is on in less than a week, they might be a little too busy to answer you until after the expo meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Great to hear that South Africa is keen to join!

All you have to do is contact MIcahel at the following email:
m.bartusch-lenzen@spielezentrum.de

Once you contact them, he will give you all the information you need, including the rules used in the Finals (note that Carcassonne is played using the 2-player version with a 15 minute per player time limit as in lighting chess).

They are the organizers for both the Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne International Finals, held at Spiel every year in Essen. Germany.

All you need to do is to give him a schedule of your qualifiers, and ensure that you have sufficient sponsors to get your representative(s) to Essen (ie. airfare, accommodation, etc).

As of last year, the organizers only provide entry to Spiel so you can compete in the finals. Everything else is at participating country's own cost.

Its a wonderful experience and the number of participating countries is growing every year.

Hope to see you there this October!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Westermeyer
South Africa
Durban
Kwazulu-Natal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help, fellas. I have put out a few e-mails and I'm now waiting for their replies. I'll keep you posted on my success or failure.

Cheers
Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.