John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm growing into the wargame scene and was hoping to move up from Cuba Libre to Fire in the Lake (due to theme).

I see the P500 is around 335.

How long would we expect this to take to fill up, and then from that point, how long does it generally take GMT to move from "made the cut" to production.

I suspect it varies due to many factors, but I'm just trying to do a gut check on this.

I was thinking of picking up Falling Sky in the meantime, but the theme on this is not as immediately gripping to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT has stated their tentative printing schedule through Q3 of 2017 and it does not include FitL. So the soonest would probably be Q4 2017. This game most likely would reprint faster than others (once it makes the cut) because they wouldn't likely be making any big changes.

FitL added 23 backers in November so it will take around 8-10 months to make the cut if something near this rate continues.

Link to this info:
http://conta.cc/2grzD7C

I am waiting for Navajo wars which may take 2 years :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Entner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also sometimes do reprints of popular games before they reach the limit, figuring that they will make the limit. But as the other poster pointed out, their website has a link to the latest production plans, which is the best source as to scheduling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm selling my copy, if you are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
oooh been waiting for this to go oop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Actually there might be changes in the works. I don't know for sure but here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1458735/us-variant-mark-and...

I make a sport out of watching the P500 numbers. It seems like they increase at a faster rate as the numbers approach 500. Sort of like people wait until the last minute to decide if they want to order then decide to get in before pre-orders close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookmark GMT's site and keep an eye on the newsletter and p500 page.

Start an account and p500 games you're interested in. You just got to get into the p500 flow of things and every now and then a game shows up at your front door.

You can also p500 games that have been produced and are waiting to ship. Than the wait is much shorter. I ordered C&C Nap and it charged in two days and shipped right out. On the other hand, I waited 2 years for MBT.

FitL will be reprinted, COIN is popular. Just keep an eye on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entner wrote:
They also sometimes do reprints of popular games before they reach the limit, figuring that they will make the limit. But as the other poster pointed out, their website has a link to the latest production plans, which is the best source as to scheduling.

You are correct, but I think they only do this for their top sellers (Twilight Struggle, Battleline, Dominant Species, etc.). Fire in the Lake would not fall into this category. There aren't any COIN games in their top sellers of all time.

Top games page:
http://www.gmtgames.com/c-44-best-sellers-all-time.aspx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTM07 wrote:
Actually there might be changes in the works. I don't know for sure but here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1458735/us-variant-mark-and...

I make a sport out of watching the P500 numbers. It seems like they increase at a faster rate as the numbers approach 500. Sort of like people wait until the last minute to decide if they want to order then decide to get in before pre-orders close.

Cool! Thanks for that. I missed that thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:
I'm growing into the wargame scene and was hoping to move up from Cuba Libre to Fire in the Lake (due to theme).

How long would we expect this to take to fill up, and then from that point, how long does it generally take GMT to move from "made the cut" to production.

I suspect it varies due to many factors, but I'm just trying to do a gut check on this.

I was thinking of picking up Falling Sky in the meantime, but the theme on this is not as immediately gripping to me.

By the way, welcome to the war game addiction community! I am new to the world of wargames too.

I looked at your game collection and we have a lot in common! I wish we lived closer to each other.

Have you tried any solo war games? Navajo Wars, D-Day at Omaha Beach? I just recently got D-Day at Tarawa and Comancheria. I am planning to try them both over the Christmas holiday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTM07 wrote:

I wonder if this happens, in part, because FLGSs put in bulk orders once it funds or is close to funding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:
blu_in_green wrote:

By the way, welcome to the war game addiction community! I am new to the world of wargames too.

I looked at your game collection and we have a lot in common! I wish we lived closer to each other.

Have you tried any solo war games? Navajo Wars, D-Day at Omaha Beach? I just recently got D-Day at Tarawa and Comancheria. I am planning to try them both over the Christmas holiday.

Thanks for the welcome! I'd love to have more like-minded gamers in our neighbourhood!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:
entner wrote:

You are correct, but I think they only do this for their top sellers (Twilight Struggle, Battleline, Dominant Species, etc.). Fire in the Lake would not fall into this category. There aren't any COIN games in their top sellers of all time.

Top games page:
http://www.gmtgames.com/c-44-best-sellers-all-time.aspx

At this point, they don't put games like TS up for reprint on P500; they just reprint it whenever they run out. There are probably some other games like that they attempt to keep always in stock.

The games that actually get put on P500 don't necessarily wait until 500 orders before being slotted to get reprinted. Churchill, FitL, LoD, Space Empires, Here I Stand, and a host of other reprints are all already slotted for reprints, but none have 500 orders. A lot of factors beyond total sales go into determining how quickly to reprint a game. Liberty or Death was completely sold out within a month or two of release, which is why it was slotted so quickly for a reprint. FitL didn't sell out quite as quickly, but it was also one of the biggest first print runs GMT has ever done, so it's already been slotted for a reprint, despite not having 500 orders.

The best gauge of when a game will be reprinted is GMT's updates. The farther out the game is on the production schedule, the more speculative the print date is. You can be relatively certain that it will be reprinted, but the "when" is very much up in the air. Once it's assigned a month, then its place in the pecking order is more certain. But that doesn't mean if the update says "March 2017" that you can plan on playing the game in March. There's still chances for delays; not just with that game, but the games in front of it. You can be reasonably certain that it will print in that month, +/- several months. As the games in front of it get pulled off the list, the more accurate the projected publication month will become.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Where are you getting the information that it's already been slotted for a reprint? None of the GMT updates mention FITL as being in the printing queue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScruffyMagic wrote:
Where are you getting the information that it's already been slotted for a reprint? None of the GMT updates mention FITL as being in the printing queue.

It has not been slotted for a reprint officially. But the game and the series is very popular. Also the p500 orders is at 395 and gaining about 25 orders per month. At that rate it would make the cut mid year. A reprint would likely be announced for late this year or early next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.