11 Posts

7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Everyone seems cool with the price of the expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roland Gunner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still new/reborn to the hobby, and paying more for an expansion than I did for a base games seems off to me.

I do realize the base game was on sale, and the expansion still sells for almost full price, but the value just seems way off.

Is this just the way things go?

Did it take time to get use to paying so much for so little in the box? I know play testing and all of that, but paying $25 for so little material is for some reason hard for me to get my head around. I guess if the original game had cost $50 bucks it would be easier for me to handle. I do appreciate that makes very little sense.

I purchased Roll for the Galaxy and it's expansion at the same time, and I had no problem paying the $25 for that expansion, so I'm not trying to say I'm making sense or being consistent.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I want to pick it up, and I'm hoping someone will tell me why it's o.k. to do so.

Thanks for any info..

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Everyone seems cool with the price of the expansion?

not everyone, there's already at least one post here a couple weeks ago called pricing rant ... so clearly not everyone just wait for expansion to drop sell below msrp and you won't compare so negatively
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Rezac
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buying the main game is much more cutthroat especially with the free turn wonders. If you aren't watching your opponent you can essentially lose the game earlier than the end with science or military.

With the expansion, I found it balances the free turn wonders, since you could stall the board by picking a god than a card. The expansion is more like a sandbox game where you can choose in the 1st Age what fits your strategy the best even if it is against your wonder selection. And sometimes, if you are in an impossible situation, the door could help you get out of a landslide 3rd Age.

As the price, I play it often enough to be worth it for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Rezac
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unveilmyeyes wrote:
Quote:
Everyone seems cool with the price of the expansion?

not everyone, there's already at least one post here a couple weeks ago called pricing rant ... so clearly not everyone just wait for expansion to drop sell below msrp and you won't compare so negatively

Currently the expansion on Amazon is 21.37! https://www.amazon.com/Wonders-Duel-Pantheon-Expansion-Playe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's for sure way too expensive when looking at components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
#ExpansionPriceMath

Expansions cost more than expected, have smaller print runs, and less availability.

The publisher balanced this with a price difference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Gunner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked but didn't notice it until you told me the other thread was there.

Alright, somehow that makes me feel better. I don't mind paying the price, but I would like to be able to do it and complain a bit at the same time.

Thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niilaz
Finland
flag msg tools
If I think it in terms of the concrete components (cards, tokens etc.) it indeed seems pricey for what's in the box.

If I think it in terms of entertainment I can fairly assume that it will give me at least 50 hours of fun for those 25 euros. That's quite a lot if I compare it to my other hobby, tennis, which costs me 24€/hour to play (just one example among many)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Moutel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In France I've paid 22.50 EUR for the base game last year, and 14.90 EUR for the expansion this year, both pre-ordered before they were released.
Given that the expansion really adds a new gaming flavor to the base game, it does not seem too expensive in my opinion.
Of course if you buy both now and the base game is on sale, the expansion might look a bit overpriced. Then why not buying only the base game and waiting for the expansion to go on sale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
The price around here seems to be 17,95€ (http://www.lautapelit.fi/7_Wonders_Duel_Pantheon_ENG). I'm cool with that. The base game is 26,90€.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.