England
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if anyone has seen this but this looks VERY familiar:

http://www.wargamedownloads.com/item.php?item=475&pics=

Just to clarify btw, I understand this game is "inspired" by my beloved FGAL and this post is to point out its existence to fellow FGAL fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That does look similar. Don't know that I could ever bring myself to replace Freedom in the Galaxy though.

That picture of king "Janidel" looks like it was heavily 'inspired' by Hugo Weaving/Elrond from the Lord of the Rings movies. Or maybe it's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On two drawing boards in a Galaxy far far away ...
The work of Charles Duke was definitely inspired by FitG. As mentioned already: "The game system is inspired in the old Freedom in the Galaxy game from SPI"

Years ago Charles and I both were writing house rules for FitG independently of each other. Motivations were pretty similar, we both liked the theme of the game but the problems of the original rules were all too obvious.

Eventually all this writing got us into contact online via consimworld. You may also have a look at what each of us did back then on this page here where Jonathan Arnold kindly posted our old versions:

http://www.thewargamer.com/FreedomInTheGalaxy.html

Beware though, the versions there are pretty old. My own work has progressed a lot since then and I assume Charles' has done too.

If you take a look at the page you will see the the different approaches we took when reworking the game. My own work really is just an overhaul of the old game, I just streamlined and fixed what was already there but kept all basic mechanics.

Charles work however is a completely new animal. Especially when one looks at the Operations Segment this becomes very obvious. In my view Charles scrapped so much of the original mechanics there and rebuilt the game from scratch that "Down With The Empire" can be called a genuine creation of him. Something I would be very reluctant to say about my own overhaul of FitG.

In my oppinion Charles was quite daring to take such a big leap from the original design. But then: nothing ventured, nothing gained. I for sure wish him all the best luck with his endeavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robt. Ferrett
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm intrigued. I really like FitG, despite its length, fiddliness, and other issues. Has anyone else played this downloadable game? If it's a shorter, streamlined version of FitG, it might be worth checking out...though either way, I'm not planning on parting with the original...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Initial scans revealed that ..."
No I did not download this game (yet) but go to the link at Jonathan's page and you can have a look at an earlier draft by Charles Duke. How much of that made it into "Down with the Empire" I can not tell you, but you will have an idea what Charles did several years ago.

The version I work on (and mine really is only a version of FitG, not a new game) I am maybe just half way thru with all I want to do before it could even be considered for playtesting. And I may run out of time pretty soon again and the project be put on the back burner for who knows how long.

If you are interested I of course can send you what I did so far. But as said: what I have is still a work in progress. What Charles arleady had several years ago was if not a polished game yet then at least a prototype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robf wrote:
I'm intrigued. I really like FitG, despite its length, fiddliness, and other issues. Has anyone else played this downloadable game? If it's a shorter, streamlined version of FitG, it might be worth checking out...though either way, I'm not planning on parting with the original...

Okay, here is a link to the where one can download the rules of Down with the Empire (scroll to the bottom for the free download).

http://www.dvg.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/14/Down%20with%20the%20Empir...

Nope, it is anything BUT a shorter or streamlined version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More like a Big Bruiser of an Uncle. If the original seemed too long and fiddly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.