Popular Tags: [View All]
Lester Dizon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a session report of two players new to Nexus Ops.

My friend Clay was getting off of work around 11:30 PM. With both of our better halves out of town this weekend we were bachelors bachelors determined to get in as much gaming as possible. The game decided on was Nexus Ops, a game I have had for a while but never had the chance to play. I had read the short ruleset a few times previously and read along outloud for Clay's benefit as I took my first turn leading the blue hued forces of the Black Helix Enterprises. Clay followed suit with his team of Zyborg Technologies commandos.

After two or three turns we had all of the unexplored areas uncovered thanks to lucky placement of the rock plains tiles on both of our sides. By chance all of the resources were evenly divided and the battle line was drawn down the middle of the board with blue and green Crystalines, Fungoids, Rock Striders and Humans staring each other down.

Mid-game saw much back and forth on one side of the board. We were trading Crystallines for Rockstriders amidst the mines in the Crystal Spires with neither of us gaining much of an advantage. At that point I traded half of my Secret Mission cards for an infusion of rubium to try to gain superior numbers. Clay then gets wise and dumps ALL of his cards and puchases a Lava Leaper along with a few more striders. The leaper makes short work of a few of my units on both sides of board over the next few turns and suddenly I am losing by two points.

The Monolith! This being our first game we totally forgot about The Monolith. Extra Energize Cards would totally help so I reached out to place an idle Fungoid atop the structure. "You can't do that," Clay reminded me tensely. Looked like Clay had suddenly realized how useful that would be too. I couldn't spare any striders from my other locations so I pressed on and watched him take control with the extra strider he had purchased the previous round.

I manage to fend off his swelling numbers with lucky rolls. Both of us continually forget to play Energize Cards and Secret Missions but that's forgivable since it's our first attempt. We each deploy a Rubium Dragon and Clay has managed to amass a sizeable force consisting of a dragon, a leaper, two striders and three crystallines on the spires side of the planet. Seeing the wave of doom building I keep my dragon and some striders on that side and start building a small force to take the other side where his level 2 mines are occupied by a couple of fungoids.

My efforts were crushed however. His leaper is able to jump into the fray and is backed up by a leaper and the enviroment bonus to the fungoids. Some more bad rolls on my part and Zyborg Technologies defeats Black Helix Enterprises.

The game played fast despite it being our first time. There were very few moments where the rules had to be consulted and we knew what we were doing in less than 20 minutes of play. We both felt it was a fast and fun two-player experience. If we can convince our SO's that a game about fighting to stip mine a planet is fun, we'll see how four-player pans out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.