Jeffary Sonnentag
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
WOW (No pun intended) What a night. 10 hours of board gaming bliss, albiet only one game, and according to one we still didn't finish.

The Game: World of Warcraft The Boardgame and it's first expansion Shadow of War.

The Goal: Complete a 6 player game...Start to finish NO SHORTCUTS !

How it went down: Play stared of rather friendly with all players rolling off to pick characters. Relatively balanced choices were made with a magic user, a Warrior and a swiss army knife on both the Horde and Alliance sides. There was a little controversy when the last genetically male player didn't want to spend the next 6+ hours playing a female orc spellcaster, but he eventually came around whe the rest of the group reminded him that this was not a reflection on his manhood, although he did take a fair amount of ribbing once the game was under way.

Then... the the first quests were pulled....This is where things start the slow climb uphill. Many miniutes during gameplay were wasted waiting for the other side to divide treasures, gold and ready next spells and equipment before the next quest was drawn and monsters placed. It took about three hours before someone in this brain trust said "hey we could speed this up a bit if you guys just drew the quest first then while we move you could argue over who gets what" This expedited play quite nicely.(thanx to TJ)

Four hours into the game the Horde side had yet to level anyone above a Level 2. The Allinace side attributed this to their relatively poor teamwork skills. By hour six, where we thought we would be finishing, we were on turn 21, only two thirds of the way thru.

Do we call the game? NO... We do what every hardcore gamer would do, we make a night and early morning of it. By hour nine Alliance has 2 level 4's and a Level 5 magic user. The Horde has stepped it up a bit and has 2 level 4's (Warriors) and a Level 3 magic user.

Once again playing to their weak suit (teamwork) One of the Horde Warrior's decided to take on the Board Overlord that was drawn during the game. A swell little guy by the name of Nefarian. All applauded his bravado (the Alliance side secretly snickered), but in the end even with the reluctant aid of his co-horts Nefarian was unstoppable.

Maybe it was because it was late (now about 10 hours in) and we were all punchy or maybe it was just because we wanted to see this to the end, the Allaince side, at turn 30 defaulted to PVP.

With both sides at full strength and fully equiped, many dice were rolled. Surprisingly the Horde lasted 8 rounds of combat before giving up. One Alliance player refused to accept the surrender, pointing out that we really wouldn't finish the game and that the Horde still had a slight chance of victory. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and all others accepted the accord.

Was it worth it all: The comradery was great and the game was fun. In the end, 10 hours of even a good thing might be a bit much. I'm not so sure we'll be getting back to that game any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW is supposed to be a long game but we never played a game that go longuer than 4 hours yet ( even with one where we battled the boss twice ).

How did we do it ?

We simply dont wait for the hordes or alliance guys to finish their turn/leveling/treasure/upgrade while playing ours. As soon as we have moved, the other team start his one not waiting for us to finish our fight.

This way the game flow so fast that we practically played non-stop ( at one time one team played effectively twice in a row as we had already do our move/buy sequence ).

It will definitely faster your play. Only trouble is when the two team are fighting for the dices

Basic rules : when your action are set on stone and no action from the other side can affect you let them do their turn while you finish yours, make thing that much fun...

Great session anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"hey we could speed this up a bit if you guys just drew the quest first then while we move you could argue over who gets what"

you were playing with more than one actual quest at a time right?

theer are supposed to be 5 quest face up and on the board at any one time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffary Sonnentag
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh Yes, believe me we had plenty of quests on the board. Actually there are suppose to be 10 quests available at all times (5 for each faction) This is why you must wait for the next quest card to be drawn as it may affect where you go next...
Thanx for the words of encourgement....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The World of Warcraft Boardgame session that would not e
Nefarian? The dragon? Why on earth were the Alliance not killing him well before reaching two level fours and a level five!? I've never seen any character reach level five because the overlords are easily killed with level four characters.

And Nefarian is the weakest of the three - I'm shocked that your two level fours and level 3 couldn't handle him.

And it is relatively rare that a blue creature will interfere with your turn so that shouldn't stop you from planning your movement while your opponent is fighting. If an independent creature drops in the wrong place then you are no worse off than if you'd waited - but if one doesn't you can speed things along.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silva
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Neil Peart, the God of Drums
mbmbmbmbmb
Been there, done that. We played over eleven hours once(maybe longer) and it dragged out because one team took way too long for their turns.... We would take five minutes for our turns, and they would take over half an hour. We played Liar's Dice while we waited(among other things).... I think we won, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Nefarian? I've never seen any character reach level five because the overlords are easily killed with level four characters.
-MMM

I agree, the game typically ends when players reach level 4, unless the two teams are agreeing to not fight the Boss for some reason (like want to level up for an epic PVP battle at the end). I guess with slow enough players I can understand how it might take 6 hours to get to turn 21, but I wouldn't like it!

When we first played, it only tok us 5 hours. Now even with rules-rehash (since we only play about once every 6 months) it still only takes 3 to 4 hours.

As long as you're enjoying the game though, more power to ya!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.