Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachariah R
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A friend of mine purchased this game, and I got to play it with him this evening. I was pleasantly surprised (though not so much, considering it's a Bruno Cathala design). The gameplay is fun; the artwork is great; I agree with the reviews that this is a great small/filler game.

My only gripe comes from FFG's choice of components. Sure, the cards and tokens are of FFG's usual good quality; also, from FFG's point of view, in terms of production costs and pricing, the choice of components makes sense. However, the components are not all that practical, from a gameplay perspective. The 6 x 6 grid of 70mm x 70mm cards takes up an unnecessary amount of space. Rather, Carcassonne-sized tiles (or of similar size) would be far more functional for the 36 character cards. Also, the addition of a modest miniature for Varys (for after shuffling and placing the characters) would be far more practical (since you're picking him up and moving him every turn).

I'd be more than willing to pay, say, $21.95 for something like that, and it would be a better game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mathdood wrote:
A friend of mine purchased this game, and I got to play it with him this evening. I was pleasantly surprised (though not so much, considering it's a Bruno Cathala design). The gameplay is fun; the artwork is great; I agree with the reviews that this is a great small/filler game.

My only gripe comes from FFG's choice of components. Sure, the cards and tokens are of FFG's usual good quality; also, from FFG's point of view, in terms of production costs and pricing, the choice of components makes sense. However, the components are not all that practical, from a gameplay perspective. The 6 x 6 grid of 70mm x 70mm cards takes up an unnecessary amount of space. Rather, Carcassonne-sized tiles (or of similar size) would be far more functional for the 35 character cards. Also, a modest miniature for Varys would be far more practical (since you're picking him up and moving him every turn).

I'd be more than willing to pay, say, $21.95 for something like that, and it would be a better game experience.

I agree, I'd have preferred cardboard tiles rather than the cards, and a marker for Varys (like comes with Quadropolis) would have been nice.

On the other hand, I don't know how much I'd lay out for what I label as a pick up game. If the game lasted an hour (thank heaven's it doesn't) or was a deep game, sure. But this is a game that I'll probably play a dozen or so times, and begin to get tired of it. It'll go on the shelf, and come out on occasions where I'm going to a party where I might want to pull out a gateway game.

Maybe like Love letter, there should be a basic, and a premium edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The selling points for me beyond the gameplay were the cheap price and the big, beautiful art on the cards. Sure it takes up unnecessary space, but I never found it to be a problem. I also don't like randomizing tiles, cards are easier to deal with. I will agree with you on the miniature though, that would be much easier to deal with. I may make one myself, could be a fun project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeorgW wrote:
The selling points for me beyond the gameplay were the cheap price and the big, beautiful art on the cards. Sure it takes up unnecessary space, but I never found it to be a problem. I also don't like randomizing tiles, cards are easier to deal with. I will agree with you on the miniature though, that would be much easier to deal with. I may make one myself, could be a fun project.

I ordered one of these bad boys off of the bay. 2.5" tall mini Funko, and I think it closely fits the feng shui (not necessarily the Varys picture on the card)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachariah R
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I ended up getting one of these Lego-style minifigures.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-TV-Game-of-Thrones-Lord-Varys-As...
I received it from China within 2.5 weeks. It's nice and functions exactly as I hoped; it included a little black platform Lego for it to stand on. It fits in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.