Subject: Obama, should never go off teleprompter. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

“We flood communities with so many guns that it is easier for a teenager to buy a Glock than get his hands on a computer or even a book.”

I wonder if he is so out of touch with us common "folk," that he has no idea what a book store is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/07/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Quote:

“We flood communities with so many guns that it is easier for a teenager to buy a Glock than get his hands on a computer or even a book.”

I wonder if he is so out of touch with us common "folk," that he has no idea what a book store is.

That does seem like hyperbole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Statistics I just Googled say that the US had just over 25,000 bookstores in 2015, a declining number, and in 2012 it had over 50,000 retail gun shops, within a total of 125,000 places you could buy guns (though I think the 50,000 is the fairer comparison).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have President-elect Trump and people are still banging on about "stupid Obama". Unfucking believable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

thats terrible - imagine the amount of damage a teenager could do if equipped with a bible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:

I thought it was only Mexico that his administration was flooding with guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's partially right of course:

Gun show loophole, gun law loophole, Brady law loophole (or Brady bill loophole), private sale loophole, and private sale exemption are political terms in the United States referring to sales of firearms by private sellers, including those done at gun shows, dubbed the "secondary market".[1] The term refers to the concept that a loophole in federal law exists, under which "[a]ny person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of the state where they reside, as long as they do not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms".[2][3][4]

Under federal law, private-party sellers are not required to perform background checks on buyers, whether at a gun show or other venue. They also are not required to record the sale, or ask for identification. This requirement is in contrast to sales by gun stores and other Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders who are required to record all sales and perform background checks on almost all buyers, regardless of whether the venue is their business location or a gun show. Access to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is limited to FFL holders and FFLs are not issued to persons that only sell firearms at gun shows.[n 1]

Maybe not for a teenager, but for your average adult you can buy a gun from your neighbor or from a private seller who has set up a table at a gun show without showing ID of any kind, and without a background check of any kind, and without the transaction ever being recorded in any way.
Purchasing a book from a bookstore is just as easy, no ID needed, and no record of who purchased the book unless it's done with a credit card. And that's as it should be. Books in general are used as a lethal weapon far less often than guns.
Taking out a library book is actually a more involved process then purchasing a gun from a private seller or from a private seller at a gun show. To do so, one needs a library card tied to a specific name and address. A record is made of every transaction. It's easy, but recorded, unlike thousands of gun transactions across this great land which are unrecorded each year.
Either way you slice it is currently ridiculously easy to obtain a gun if one wants one. Let's not pretend or argue that that's not a fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
myopia wrote:
We have President-elect Trump and people are still banging on about "stupid Obama". Unfucking believable.

I see plenty of libtards like you going on and on about Trump all the time. Of course as soon as anyone says anything else, you have to point out that they're off narrative. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Statistics I just Googled say that the US had just over 25,000 bookstores in 2015, a declining number, and in 2012 it had over 50,000 retail gun shops, within a total of 125,000 places you could buy guns (though I think the 50,000 is the fairer comparison).

There are also these things called "Public Libraries". Did you happen to google those as well? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It's a sair fecht fur a hauf loaf.
badge
Furry boots?
mbmbmbmbmb
deadkenny wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

There are also these things called "Public Libraries". Did you happen to google those as well? shake

The initial quote was in reference to buying the aforementioned items. Reading comprehension and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stirlingmoomoo wrote:
deadkenny wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

The initial quote was in reference to buying the aforementioned items. Reading comprehension and all that.

The initial quote was:

Really, talk about lack of reading comprehension. Do you understand the meaning of "get his hands on"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
deadkenny wrote:
myopia wrote:

I see plenty of libtards like you going on and on about Trump all the time. Of course as soon as anyone says anything else, you have to point out that they're off narrative. shake

Fuck off dipshit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
myopia wrote:
deadkenny wrote:
myopia wrote:

Fuck off dipshit.

Likewise you ignorant libtard pos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It's a sair fecht fur a hauf loaf.
badge
Furry boots?
mbmbmbmbmb
deadkenny wrote:
Stirlingmoomoo wrote:
deadkenny wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

The initial quote was:

Really, talk about lack of reading comprehension. Do you understand the meaning of "get his hands on"?

And Dashi's comment related to bookstores - so the entire first post was on buying a book. Still reading comprehension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stirlingmoomoo wrote:
deadkenny wrote:
Stirlingmoomoo wrote:
deadkenny wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

The initial quote was:

And Dashi's comment related to bookstores - so the entire first post was on buying a book. Still reading comprehension.
You said that the "initial quote was in reference to". Clearly libraries are a major consideration in the ability to "get his hands on" a book. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Public libraries: 16,536
+25,000 bookscores
=31,536

50,000>31,536

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
One can also buy or borrow books from private citizens.

Look, I agree it's too easy to get a gun, and I'm okay with a little rhetorical license. But when someone insists on taking the comment literally, where's the harm in admitting that's what it was? It's not like Trump supporters have any ability to complain about someone else being not literally committed to their claims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
+25,000 bookscores
=31,536

50,000>31,536

Umm bad maths.
25,000 + 16,536 = 41,536

50,000 is still bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
+25,000 bookscores
=31,536

50,000>31,536

Umm bad maths.
25,000 + 16,536 = 41,536

50,000 is still bigger.

See, it's even easier to "buy a Glock" than it is to add!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
One can also buy or borrow books from private citizens.

Look, I agree it's too easy to get a gun, and I'm okay with a little rhetorical license. But when someone insists on taking the comment literally, where's the harm in admitting that's what it was? It's not like Trump supporters have any ability to complain about someone else being not literally committed to their claims.

That highlights the hypocrisy. When Trump does that same sort of thing the SJWs run out to "fact check" it and declare Trump a "liar". Yes, I think a little common sense would show that, just as with many of Trump's statements, Obama wasn't making a literal claim of fact. However, it is still entertaining to watch the usual crew of SJWs jump in to try to defend it. I have to give you credit, at least you just admitted it was "hyperbole" and left it at that. So you are apparently that rare beast, a leftie with some common sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Quote:

That does seem like hyperbole.

Gee, you think?

In 2015 there were 571 million paperback books sold. Paperbacks, not hardbacks or textbooks and whatnot. So if you include those sources along with used book sales you have to figure at least 600 million books sold. Not borrowed or read, but sold.

There is not any precise figure on gun sales but you can see how many background checks were run in 2015 - there were 23 million of those. So allowing for checks for carry permits and ones that were denied lets us be fair and say 22 million guns sold.

Which means that around 579 million guns had to be sold off the grid at gun shows to surpass the number of books sold. Seems reasonable to me. Right?

http://fortune.com/2015/12/22/print-book-sales/

http://freebeacon.com/issues/all-time-gun-sales-records-set-...

This quote of his is kind of old but entirely accurate in illustrating what a total clueless fuck he is and how he has single-handedly made America more divided along racial, social and economic lines than any person I can think of. I hope to never hear anything else from this incompetent piece of shit once the new incompetent piece of shit takes the reins next month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you people just dense?
Let's say that there are more psychical places to get a gun. Can you walk into said gun store and walk out in 60 seconds with a gun?

How much does a gun cost compared to a book?
How much is a book at a government funded library?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
TheDashi wrote:
Are you people just dense?
Let's say that there are more psychical places to get a gun. Can you walk into said gun store and walk out in 60 seconds with a gun?

The only way you can walk into Barnes and Noble and walk out with a book in 60 seconds is stealing it. laugh

Damn their lines are sloooow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always good for a laugh when conservatives bring up the like 10 times Obama has misspoke in EIGHT YEARS as they supported Trump and Bush Jr., two men who say dumb and ridiculous things DAILY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
It's always good for a laugh when conservatives bring up the like 10 times Obama has misspoke in EIGHT YEARS as they supported Trump and Bush Jr., two men who say dumb and ridiculous things DAILY.

Hyperbole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.