Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Lerche
Denmark
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The other day I played WOTR with a friend. I, the shadow, had played "Worn with sorrow and toil" on the table. This card is discarded if the fellowship is declared in a free peoples' city or stronghold.
The fellowship was in Rivendell, but then declared themselves in Lorien, walking through the mines of Moria.
They were struck by both the Balrog and the extra tile from the shadow stronghold. The free peoples player took a random casualty.

The question is then, which of these things happens:

a) Immediately when declared in this sronghold, "Worn with sorrow and toil" is discarded. Thereafter the tiles for balrog and stronghold are drawn and applied.

b) The fellowship moves into Moria. The tiles are drawn and applied. If casualties are taken, the shadow player may discard character cards from the free peoples player because the rest of the fellowship mourns the dead.
After that, the grieving fellowship continues to Lorien where they find comfort, and "worn with sorrow and toil" is discarded.

Option a makes sense when reading the rules and the order in which events occur.
However, b makes sense because the "real" chronology of events is this:

1: The fellowships faces the horrors of Moria and the death of their friends.
2: The fellowship reaches the safe harbours of Lorien.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful; there's a difference between declaring and being revealed. You declare at the start of the turn as a voluntary action which is to your benefit. You are revealed by enemy action (drawing a tile) which is usually bad. Be careful not to confuse these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Lerche
Denmark
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, you're right, we made a mistake there. No tile should've been drawn for the Stronghold of Moria, since the fellowship was declared, not revealed.
However, the Balrog tile is still to be drawn, when declared. So, what takes place first, the Balrog tile and possible casualties, or the discarding "Worn with sorrow and toil"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
konghans wrote:
However, the Balrog is still to be drawn, when declared. So, what takes place first, the Balrog tile and possible casualties, or the discarding "Worn with sorrow and toil"?

I think your common-sense interpretation is correct. The card is discarded when the Fellowship is declared in a friendly stronghold, but they have to actually get there. So you resolve the effects associated with the declaration (including the hunt tile for Moria) before you discard the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This interpretation (option b) makes sense. It is also consistent with the Expansion FAQ regarding taking Smeagol as a Hunt casualty under similar circumstances when declaring the Fellowship in an FP City or Stronghold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Lerche
Denmark
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
This interpretation (option b) makes sense. It is also consistent with the Expansion FAQ regarding taking Smeagol as a Hunt casualty under similar circumstances when declaring the Fellowship in an FP City or Stronghold.

You're right, I also noticed that today when i looked at the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.