Popular Tags: survey [+] olgs [+] [View All]
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to the recent thread on TimeWellSpent.com's advertising (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/168765), I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought on the issue, so I came up with a survey. I attempted to make the questions as un-biased as possible.

Please copy and paste into a reply and answer each question honestly. I think everyone's opinion should be heard on this subject, and this could be a great opportunity to give valuable feedback to BGG and TWS.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with the TimeWellSpent.com website in any way. I am simply curious.

Thanks!
=============================================

1. Have you purchased anything from TimeWellSpent?

2. Are you aware that TWS uses a Christian-oriented fish symbol in its advertising?

3. Does the fish symbol in their ads affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS?

4. If the fish symbol does affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS, please explain why. (Skip to #5 if your answer to #3 is "No.")

5. Does the fish symbol's appearance in TWS advertising offend you?

6. Would you reconsider your decision to shop or not shop with TWS if they removed the fish symbol from their ads?

7. What message do you think TWS intends to communicate to consumers by including the fish symbol in their ads?

8. How does this message affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dante_Cubit wrote:
Due to the recent thread on TimeWellSpent.com's advertising (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/168765), I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought on the issue, so I came up with a survey. I attempted to make the questions as un-biased as possible.

Please copy and paste into a reply and answer each question honestly. I think everyone's opinion should be heard on this subject, and this could be a great opportunity to give valuable feedback to BGG and TWS.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with the TimeWellSpent.com website in any way. I am simply curious.

Thanks!

1. Have you purchased anything from TimeWellSpent? NO

2. Are you aware that TWS uses a Christian-oriented fish symbol in its advertising? YES

3. Does the fish symbol in their ads affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS? NO

4. If the fish symbol does affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS, please explain why. (Skip to #5 if your answer to #3 is "No.")

5. Does the fish symbol's appearance in TWS advertising offend you? NO

6. Would you reconsider your decision to shop or not shop with TWS if they removed the fish symbol from their ads? YES

7. What message do you think TWS intends to communicate to consumers by including the fish symbol in their ads? THAT THE COMPANY IS OWNED AND/OR OPERATED BY A CHRISTIAN

IT HAS NO BEARING ON MY DECISION

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

No. But I am a UK consumer and its a US company so thats not suprising.

2. Are you aware that TWS uses a Christian-oriented fish symbol in its advertising?

I am aware to the extent that you have posted about it. I haven't actually seen the fish symbol, as I have ad-blocking.

3. Does the fish symbol in their ads affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS?

No, the distance is a decisive factor on its own.

I don't know. I haven't seen it.

6. Would you reconsider your decision to shop or not shop with TWS if they removed the fish symbol from their ads?

No, unless they also moved to the UK.
7. What message do you think TWS intends to communicate to consumers by including the fish symbol in their ads?

Maybe they're hoping to sell more copies of Hey, That's my Fish ?

Again the distance is decisive so anything else is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Yes

No

No

No

That the owner is a Christian, and would like to demonstrate that. I could think of a host of reasons someone would do that.

Not at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dante_Cubit wrote:

No.

Dante_Cubit wrote:

Yes.

Dante_Cubit wrote:

Yes.

Dante_Cubit wrote:

It seemed tacky. Without it they are a game store. With it they are a game store that clearly only wants to deal with christians.

Dante_Cubit wrote:

Not because of what it is, rather that it seems like a cheap marketing ploy, to get sympathetic dollars from christians. Pathetic. Clumsy. Uncouth.

Dante_Cubit wrote:

The symbol isn't the issue with me, rather this kind of yellow pages marketing has always turned my stomach. Irritating ads will prevent me from purchasing from companies even years after the ad isn't running.

Dante_Cubit wrote:

That with all the white noise created by ads on the internet if you spend you money with them, you are supporting "fellow christians".

Dante_Cubit wrote:

Their religion is more important than my business. I'll give my "wicked money" to someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb

Yes

Yes

No

No

No

I'm not sure that any "message" at all is implied.

It does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dante_Cubit wrote:

yes

Quote:

yes

Quote:

yes

Quote:

I am a Christian, and I like supporting other Christians. I hope that they treat me well as a customer, based on their Christian beliefs.

Quote:

no

Quote:

Maybe, I guess I don't like people knuckling under political correctness pressure.

Quote:

They are owned by Christians. But the most straight-forward way to find out is to ask, instead of speculate.

Quote:

I makes me more likely to purchase from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think a couple orders.

Only recently

not at all

no

no

They are Christians and following the directive to witness their faith (or whatever that lowkey prosyletization is called).

Not much. It indicates that some of the profit is probably donated to causes I mostly believe in. (Feeding the poor, providing safe havens, counseling for people that need it and can't afford it, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Meridian
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, this non-issue--that some folks apparently want to MAKE an "issue"--is one of the most pointless, innane, ignorant and idioic things I've seen on The Geek this week.

Absolutely. Often monthly.

Yes.

Makes ZERO difference to me.

Anyone offended, in my view, is going through life LOOKING for reasons to be offended.

No. There's a dozen reasons Dave is a great shop. Some symbol is irrelevant.

He's a Christian-affiliated businessman. So?

[/q]

This continuing pointless dribble trying to make an "issue" out of a non-existant "issue" makes me want to play the lottery and give him HALF of the winnings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Dante_Cubit wrote:

1. Have you purchased anything from TimeWellSpent? yes

2. Are you aware that TWS uses a Christian-oriented fish symbol in its advertising? yes

3. Does the fish symbol in their ads affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS? no

5. Does the fish symbol's appearance in TWS advertising offend you? no

6. Would you reconsider your decision to shop or not shop with TWS if they removed the fish symbol from their ads? n/a

That they are owned and operated by Christians (or whatever)

8. How does this message affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS? it doesn't

This whole thing is ridiculous. They're a private business and can put whatever they want on their site. Just because it shows up on BGG doesn't mean anything. I'm sure there are [so-called] fundamentalist Christian members of BGG who support BGG directly with annual donations. Should we revoke their membership and give back their money? I don't recall anything in the Constitution about separation of church and BGG.

If Aldie chose to worship Satan and put a pentagram on the front page I'd still come here devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Dante_Cubit wrote:

Yes, and I've been well pleased with their service.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

It very slightly encourages it. How slightly? Little enough that I'm not sure it is estimable beyond, "a barely detectable better impression of the store".

Quote:

I admire public exposure and demonstration of private morality.

Quote:

No. I admire it.

Quote:

I would be disappointed if they removed it.

Quote:

That the owners ascribe to a commonly recognised morality system.

Quote:

It largely doesn't except for the minor changes in viewpoint noted above.

Note: I am not a Christian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
Dante_Cubit wrote:

1. Have you purchased anything from TimeWellSpent? No, not yet

2. Are you aware that TWS uses a Christian-oriented fish symbol in its advertising? I am

3. Does the fish symbol in their ads affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS? It will, to a limited extent, in a positive manner

4. If the fish symbol does affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS, please explain why. (Skip to #5 if your answer to #3 is "No.") As a Christian, I enjoy supporting the businesses of fellow Christians. It also indicates to me an adherence to shared ethical and moral standard.

5. Does the fish symbol's appearance in TWS advertising offend you? Absolutely not

6. Would you reconsider your decision to shop or not shop with TWS if they removed the fish symbol from their ads? I would be disappointed. It would demonstrate a lack of integrity, and a willingness to follow the world. Yes , I would reconsider.

7. What message do you think TWS intends to communicate to consumers by including the fish symbol in their ads? " this is who we are, what we believe, what we stand for, and we are not ashamed to be followers of Jesus Christ"

8. How does this message affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS? I will definitely look to them for my next purchase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Have you purchased anything from TimeWellSpent? Yes

2. Are you aware that TWS uses a Christian-oriented fish symbol in its advertising? Yes

3. Does the fish symbol in their ads affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS? No

No and not just because I am a Christian, but because I don't believe in discrimination.

6. Would you reconsider your decision to shop or not shop with TWS if they removed the fish symbol from their ads? No

7. What message do you think TWS intends to communicate to consumers by including the fish symbol in their ads? That they are Christians.

Perhaps they want to attract business with that symbol, perhaps they want to convey that they will do business in a moral or honest way, perhaps they hope to evangelize with their behavior rather than words (which means that they need to show that they are Christian in order for someone to associate their behavior with their faith).

8. How does this message affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS? I'm glad for them personally that they have a strong faith, however, this doesn't affect my opinion of them as a business.

Time Well Spent has always given excellent service at a great price. However, I have lately tried to buy more of my games locally rather than online because I think that's the right thing to do. (you're welcome, DW)

Those damn FLGS! Using their ADDRESSES to attract business!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dante_Cubit wrote:

What the hell business is it of yours?

Quote:

Are you aware that I don't exist to satisfy your curiosity?

Quote:

Absolutely none of your damned business.

Quote:

Your efforts to remove the bias from your survey are a failure. It is still biased toward irrelevance.

Quote:

If the fish symbol is responsible for this survey, then yes. If you are responsible, then you offend me.

Quote:

Would you reconsider your dabblings in market research if I begged you?

Quote:

What message am I communicating to you? Hint: Take this survey and shove it.

Quote:

If I thought that buying a game from these dipsticks would preclude further surveys of this variety, I'd buy two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Dante_Cubit wrote:
I have a fridge magnet, so I think I did once.
Quote:
Only as a result of the recent forum entry. I don't see ads here on BGG.
Quote:
It may.
Quote:
It's not something you typically see on retail documents/ads/menus/whatnot. It gives momentary pause and even that is enough to take you out of the moment--away from the objective at hand (buying games).
Quote:
Offend? Probably not. Wonder? Yes.
Quote:
There's no real decision or reversal to make here. The answer is that I wouldn't have to think about it if it weren't there. By presenting it, I have to wonder where on the Christianity/Zealot/Evangelical/Radical/Fundamentalist/Universalist scale they fall.
Quote:
I think it was an innocent action that may not have been well througt through. And I don't mean this specifically about TWS, but any retailer who segregates (even if accidentally) their customer base. I've always thought that successful reatilers attempted to avoid all controversy or specifics about personal life. But that may just be me.
Quote:

Again, there's no decision to make. I wasn't thinking about purchasing from them. However, if I ever read an explanation, it will make a difference in the future, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this thread is ridiculous. It's basically asking people if they discriminate against companies based on the religious faith of the owner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
No.

Yes.

Yes.

It suggests that the business is aimed at christians primarily, and may not stock games that offend christians. I'm a non-christian and also a consumer of said games (FFFF, for example), so I shop elsewhere. It's like a christian bookshop: I don't expect to be catered for.

Nope, and I can always block the image if it does. If they want to use it, that's their right.

Maybe. It would depend why they removed it. I'd browse through their shop, at least.

Come on in, christians! There are christian games and nothing that will offend you. Like a christian bookshop, as I said.

It makes me buy elsewhere, i.e. from places with less constraints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Completing this survey would not be time well spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

ha! what scrib said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

Thank you for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Quote:

That they refuse to sell games with a dipiction of a nipple on the box. I will be taking my business for Wallace-games-set-in-the-renaissance somewhere else.

googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think this thread is ridiculous. It's basically asking people if they discriminate against companies based on the religious faith of the owner.

Not quite. It is asking people if they discriminate against (or for) companies that display religous symbols in their advertising. The religous faith of the owner is not particularly relevant: you don't have to be a Christian to advertise using Christian symbols, and no effort is being made here to discover the religous faith of Time Well Spent's owner (whoever that may be: possibly ownership rests with a number of shareholders of differing religous faiths). Some people will no doubt object to (or indeed admire) the use of any religous symbol in advertising. Others will object to (or indeed admire) the use of particular religous symbols.

As for whether people discriminate in the way you suggest, I imagine most people don't go out of their way to discover the religous faith of company owners, but I find it highly likely that if they knew that an owner was, for example, a Satanist, there would be some of them who at the very least would think twice before ordering from said owner's company...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dante_Cubit wrote:
1. Have you purchased anything from TimeWellSpent? YES

2. Are you aware that TWS uses a Christian-oriented fish symbol in its advertising? YES

3. Does the fish symbol in their ads affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS? YES

4. If the fish symbol does affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS, please explain why. IT IMPLIES CHRISTIAN ETHICS; HOWEVER, PRICING, BUSINESS PRACTICES, AVAILABILITY, AND CUSTOMER SERVICE OUTWEIGH THIS MINOR CONSIDERATION BY ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE.

5. Does the fish symbol's appearance in TWS advertising offend you? IT PLEASES ME.

6. Would you reconsider your decision to shop or not shop with TWS if they removed the fish symbol from their ads? NO, BECAUSE THEY SCORE HIGH IN ALL OF THE AREAS I LISTED ABOVE.

7. What message do you think TWS intends to communicate to consumers by including the fish symbol in their ads? CHRISTIAN ETHICS

8. How does this message affect your decision to buy or not buy from TWS? IT MAKES ME FEEL MORE LIKELY TO BUY FROM THEM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
Why do you even care?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a nutshell answers:

Never bought anything from them. Fish symbol makes no difference to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.