Subject: Looking for NPD rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Yanoska
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anyone got a copy of how the NPD's are played in the tournaments, or just for regular play? I have an insert to the rules that show a NPD Action/Responses table, but it doesn't have instructions on how to do it, and I'm not sure how to go about using this table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used them to bring the race up to 7 cars during regular play. It gives players some cars to pass and provides more of a penalty for pitting. I wouldn't expect to put any in to tournaments unless you have some grouping of drivers that's not full and don't want to just give them a free pass up the ladder. In that case I would use some of the harder NPD configs since the normal ones are pretty easy to beat.

The table shows how many cards to flip in response to actions to find out if those drivers have useful moves. Basically you flip a card to check for the speed and put them in order of the other cars like normal. Since they're not making lap counts, you just flip a card from the deck for their speed. When it's their turn to make a move, one by one you flip over the number of cards listed and then if an action card is flipped up and the move applies, you execute it's actions. Otherwise you ignore it. (For example, a pull away comes up and you're not in the pack. It's an action, but it's effects do nothing. It's just ignored) When someone goes to pass one of these drivers, you flip over those number of cards looking for a response card. So if a block card comes up, the passing player is out of luck, if there are action cards, you just treat it like that driver had nothing useful to play at the time and ignore the card. (Meaning, you can't pull away in response to someone's passing move)

I don't remember if the rules mention it, but I think that it's good to have the NPD auto-draft when someone does a pull away move. Or flip up a card and they draft as long as the speed is above XX.300 or some value you pick. Otherwise the NPD drivers will usually break the chain when someone does a pull away. It's better to have the players miss a draft play than be holding a card when the NPD in front of them stops the chain reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Yanoska
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Mark.

That should give me a good idea of how to play them. Do you use just one deck for all the NPD's, or do you use a deck for each one? For pitting, what kind of rules do you follow, such as how do they pit before a pit window, and is where they are in position affect if they pit or not?

I recently found this site by linkage when I was viewing the WBC site. Great stuff in here, particularly the file section. I was able to create my own Road Course deck from the Powerpoint file. I used an Avery program, with its associated business card stock. Not as hard as playing card stock, but they are shiny on one side and do shuffle. And I have been wanting a copy of the expansion rules forever. Nice to see a copy in there. I'm also glad I made a copy of their website before they lost the domain. I am able to printout a copy of their rules, as it was shown, without the animations though.

I hope the creators of this game look in this forum from time to time, to see how people still support this game. It is nice to see them supporting the game at the WBC, but it sure would be nice to get more direct contact, for more product purchases or questions. but I realize that real life sometimes takes precedent.

By the way, do you Mark or anyone else that frequents this forum, ever play a simulation called Nascar Racing 2003 Season? Great pc sim that appears to be the best Nascar pc simulation on the market. Not as rare as trying to get a copy of SCC, but its up there in price. Dale Jr., Martin Truex, and other drivers are seen in an ESPN documentary to use it for practice, and they contribute that game to helping them become better Nascar drivers. Of course, they call it 'the game' since they cannot mention the actual name of the game since EA has their arcade version of it out and has the rights to the Nascar copyrights for game making for a few more years.

Can't make the WBC this year, due to prior commitments, but hope to make it next year. Thanks again for the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just use one deck to run all of them. I think the rules say that they pit when the leader pits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.