Subject: Collected ToI rule clarifications and errata. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: errata [+] Q&A [+] collected [+] clarifications [+] [View All]
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the number of ToI rule corrections and clarifications start to amass I think it's time to start a thread to collect them.

Please don't discuss the rules or clarifications in this thread or it will get too cluttered.

Now that the official FAQ is out (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/TOI_FAQ.pdf) this thread will only collect additional clarifications and errata no in the official FAQ.

Additional Clarifications and Errata

* When to Fatigue Units

The rules for when to fatigue units can also be confusing to new players.

A unit is fatigued when:
1) it completes its action.
2) it supports another unit in combined fire or an assault.
3) it performs an op fire attack (except when using only machine guns).
4) it becomes pinned or disrupted during its action.
5) it becomes pinned or disrupted whilst in op fire mode.
6) it is a vehicle and takes damage during its activation (except for light damage on tanks due to op fire). [Amended]

A unit is NOT fatigued after:
1) taking damage due to a normal attack (op fire or not) (except as noted above for activated vehicles).
2) becoming pinned or disrupted (except as noted above for activated and op fire mode squads).

When a squad is pinned or disrupted but not fatigued, it can still be activated during the Action Phase. The available actions are:
1) Concentrated Fire (at half firepower) if the squad is pinned and an officer is in the same hex.
2) Fatigue Unit (which is still an action).

A unit in op fire mode is never activated (or fatigued) as an action.

(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/169272)

* Action Turn Order Clarification

A lot of new players seem to get confused between an Action and an Action Turn and how Action Turns are taken.

Each game round consists of an Action Phase, Command Phase & Status Phase.

All units are activated during each Action Phase (except for units starting in Op Fire mode) by the teams taking alternating Action Turns.

Each Action Turn consists of a number of actions (which is most commonly the activation of a single unit). The scenario dictates the actual number of actions per Action Turn but it is usually 3 actions for a 2 player game. [This equates to 4 actions per team for a 3/4 player game (ie, 2 actions per division x 2).]

The sequence is probably best summarized by Mike Z here:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=...

* Combined Fire and Hex-wide Abilities in 3/4 Player Games

Although LOS is not shared between divisions in a 3/4 player game, most other things are. For instance, the Officer and Medic abilities that affect other squads in the same hex do affect squads from both divisions. Likewise, an Officer from either division can be used to negate the command cost of combined fire betwen divisions (c.f., Team Restrictions on page 36 of the rules). (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/155783)

Official Scenario errata

"At the Breaking Point" scenario:

The yellow bordered hexes are not clear terrain overlays (terrain overlays are marked with red borders). The yellow bordered hexes only mark the victory hexes. If you look really, really closely you can see woods underneath the heavy yellow tint.

--- RFC ---
3 3 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Collected ToI rules clarifications and errata.
Op Fire and Exiting Entrenchments:

Exiting entrenchments does trigger Op Fire; entering entrenchments does not trigger Op Fire. [Page 32 is incorrect; page 46 is correct.] Ditto for exiting/entering bunkers and vehicles.

Op Fire and Normal Attacks:

When a Normal Attack is used for Op Fire agaist a squad, the activated squad does not end its movement if casualties are sustained. When a Normal Attack is used for Op Fire agaist a vehicle, the activated squad does end its movement if damage is sustained (except for light damage on tanks). [On page 19 the rules say: "If the active unit becomes pinned, disrupted, or damaged as a result of the Op Fire attack, it is immediately fatigued." The reference to "damaged" only applies to Op Fire attacks against vehicles (as poorly clarified by the following point).] (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/168906)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario Book errata

"At the Breaking Point" scenario:

The yellow bordered hexes are not clear terrain overlays (terrain overlays are marked with red borders). The yellow bordered hexes only mark the victory hexes. If you look really, really closely you can see woods underneath the heavy yellow tint.

"Liberation" scenario:

According to John Goodenough (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/22825),
the American Division 1 should have two Engineer specialization tokens and the American Division 2 should have one Engineer specialization token (in addition to the listed listed Flamethrower and Medic specializations).

"Silence the Guns" scenario:

When the scenario refers to "control of the bunker" it is actually means "control of the hex in which the bunker lies". There is no requirement to have a squad in the bunker to achieve the objective. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/168743)

"Stavelot Express" scenario:

There is a misprint in the number of units for the German Division 2. According again to John G (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1373327), it should read:

- 6 SdKfz 251 Half-Tracks
- 6 Squad Bases
- 12 Elite Infantry
- 4 Regular Infantry
- 2 Officers
- 3 Machine Gun Crews

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Turn Order Clarification

A lot of new players seem to get confused between an Action and an Action Turn and how Action Turns are taken.

Each game round consists of an Action Phase, Command Phase & Status Phase.

All units are activated during each Action Phase (except for units starting in Op Fire mode) by the teams taking alternating Action Turns.

Each Action Turn consists of a number of actions (which is most commonly the activation of a single unit). The scenario dictates the actual number of actions per Action Turn but it is usually 3 actions for a 2 player game. [This equates to 4 actions per team for a 3/4 player game (ie, 2 actions per division x 2).]

The sequence is probably best summarized by Mike Z here:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assaults and Fortifications

A squad may not enter a bunker or entrenchment when moving into the target hex after a successful assault. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/166467)

As per the standard assault rules, a fortification also provides no defense for the attacker when attacking from a hex with a bunker or entrenchment.

The medic's Bandage ability does provide one additional cover for the defenders of an assault. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/169414)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combined Fire and Hex-wide Abilities in 3/4 Player Games

Although LOS is not shared between divisions in a 3/4 player game, most other things are. For instance, the Officer and Medic abilities that affect other squads in the same hex do affect squads from both divisions. Likewise, an Officer from either division can be used to negate the command cost of combined fire betwen divisions (c.f., Team Restrictions on page 36 of the rules). (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/155783)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Inventory Correction

The component inventory in the rule book is oncorrect. It should say that there are 23 map overlay pieces not 28. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/168854)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be easier to make one large post that you edit, so you can organize the info? (I'll delete this post shortly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to make one large post that you edit, so you can organize the info? (I'll delete this post shortly)

If people would like me to, I can edit the first post to collect all the errata into a single message (once we have a few more). I was assuming that other people would probably have a few items that I've missed (or thought were sufficiently explained in the rules).

RFC.

EDIT: Give this message a thumbs up if you would like me to collate the posted errata and corrections into a single message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correction to Example A on page 31 of rule book

The supporting unit in this example is at normal range (not long range) due to its elevation (which gives +1 range). Therefore the combined fire attack is at normal range not long range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When to Fatigue Units

A unit is fatigued when:
6) it is a vehicle and takes damage during its activation (except for light damage on tanks due to op fire). [Amended]

1) taking damage due to a normal attack (op fire or not) (except as noted above for activated vehicles).
2) becoming pinned or disrupted (except as noted above for activated and op fire mode squads).

When a squad is pinned or disrupted but not fatigued, it can still be activated during the Action Phase. The available actions are:
1) Concentrated Fire (at half firepower) if the squad is pinned and an officer is in the same hex.
2) Fatigue Unit (which is still an action).

A unit in op fire mode is never activated (or fatigued) as an action.

(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/169272)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Collins
Australia
Melbourne
VICTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly sure Silence the Guns also states 6 elite Germans to start with 7 more as reinforcements in round 4. As you only have 12 in the box, how do you handle that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
REGGY wrote:
I'm fairly sure Silence the Guns also states 6 elite Germans to start with 7 more as reinforcements in round 4. As you only have 12 in the box, how do you handle that?

You let some get killed. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
Game Inventory Correction

The component inventory in the rule book is oncorrect. It should say that there are 23 map overlay pieces not 28. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/168854)

I can't build the map for "Liberation" b/c I only have one single hex level 1 hill. What is the eratta for that? Use level 2 hill and pretend that they are level 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard R.
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
When to Fatigue Units

A unit is fatigued when:
6) it is a vehicle and takes damage during its activation or whilst in op fire mode (except for light damage on tanks due to op fire).

1) taking damage due to a normal attack (op fire or not) (except as noted above for activated and op fire mode vehicles).

Rule 6: Robert, I don't think vehicles get fatigued after suffering hits while they are in OpFire.. I couldn't find anything in the rules to support this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
speaking of Erratas...

don't forget the rules on Artillery Attacks/ rolling for drifts (pgs 42 & 43)

In the example page (42) it states: "...the red die determines whether the target hex will drift and how many hexes it will drift..." (but) on pg 43 in the rules section, it states "...the black die tells you how many hexes it will drift..."

(a bit contradicting.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShapedFuture wrote:
When to Fatigue Units
Rule 6: Robert, I don't think vehicles get fatigued after suffering hits while they are in OpFire.. I couldn't find anything in the rules to support this

Sorry about the delay in replying I've been without internet for the last two weeks. Sigh. Yeah I reckon you are right. I can't find the rule either. I'll amend the entry.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
speaking of Erratas...

In the example page (42) it states: "...the red die determines whether the target hex will drift and how many hexes it will drift..." (but) on pg 43 in the rules section, it states "...the black die tells you how many hexes it will drift..."

(a bit contradicting.)

Just use one or the other...but be consistent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Ahrens
Germany
Stelle
flag msg tools
designer
Where you're goin' with that gun in your hand?
badge
Iäh! Iäh! Fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
speaking of Erratas...

(a bit contradicting.)

Didn't notice this... I guess it's much more logic to have the red one define the direction on the compass and the black one define the number of hexes (plus, of course, the black one determines the success at all). If the red one would define both, it'd be always the same number of hexes for a given direction (1 hex/direction 1, 2hex/dir2, 3hex/dir3 and so on) and thats for sure not the intention I bet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.