Subject: Tikal or El grande rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: thisorthat [+] [View All]
David Avila
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Which is the most replayble?
Most rewarding, i.e seeing your plans pay off?
Fun?
Development....(she likes settlers )

ok so we are going to watch an episode of the west wing (yes we are both wingnuts and bggs) and then hopefully make a purchase based on all your wonderful input.

Don't let me down guys,

Dav

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think El Grande is one of the best games ever. But I'm not a big fan of Settlers. I like Tikal though, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
El Grande is probably the most fun. I wouldn't really call either of them a development game ala Settlers. Nor would I say that you really see plans payoff very much in either since things tend to change very quickly. You pretty much just react to the current board situation when it comes to your turn and make the best of it (though in both you are trying to set yourself up for the scoring rounds).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played El Grande once and Tikal several times, so take that into account hereā€¦

El Grande for me was, like many euros, fairly dry and mechanical (just one play, remember). But I can see how it could be a good euro game, if you like mechanics. Also, consider that it's ranked #5 out of all games ever designed, by BGGers, who tend to be die hard gamers. However, someone who likes Settlers may not automatically like it. I don't believe it plays well with just 2, even though the box says 2-5. It's listed as a Political, Auction/Bidding game.

Tikal has a great exploration theme and is very attractive. However, you don't have much to do if it's not your turn, so if people don't play quickly that becomes a problem. It plays well with 2. It's an Exploration game with a Modular Board, using an Action Point Allowance System.

If I could play one I would choose Tikal, although I would be curious to try El Grande more to see why others think it's a great game.

I think they are both good games, so choose which one sounds the best - if you have narrowed it down to only those two choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing with two, three or four Tikal. With five El Grande.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given a choice of playing a five-player El Grande and a Tikal of any given number of players, there is no choice but to choose El Grande. I prize both games, but the decision process in El Grande is far more interesting.

With less than five Tikal gets the nod, and this is a huge factor in Tikal's favor since it is not so easy to have those groups of five to play El Grande.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for Tikal. El Grande is certainly a fine game (maybe even a better "game"), but I find Tikal much more enjoyable. The exploration of the jungle and seeing how that develops is neat and vaguely similar to the visible growth of a Settlers game, though in different terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a top game with development, try Goa.

With just 3, Tikal wins. El Grande is not the best with 3.

With 4 or 5, El Grande wins. With 2, you could try my El Grande variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games, but El Grande gets the nod for having more of the "fun factor".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are in my top 5 but I would recomend El Grande unless you want to play with 2 or 3.

El Grande is extremely simple to learn to play but has a lot of replay value. Put t this way I have the Decennial edition with all the expansions and I probably should have saved some money and got an old edition. The original game is so good and replayable that I have never used ANY of the expansions probably will not for a long time.

Tikal is easy enough too and quite good as far as replayability- I still haven't used the auction varient yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, El Grande is MUCH more replayable and fun. There are so many possibilities to be creative through the standard placements, which power card to use while trying to set yourself up for later bidding rounds, and the special cards each round--this is my favorite game right now (though it may soon be supplanted by Railroad Tycoon which seems to fit all of your criteria better than either of these games). A successful plan is sweet to behold as it requires a lot of insight into what your opponents will do, sneaky cube placements, and a little luck.

But, Tikal still may fit you better. El Grande is not very fun with 2--it needs 4 or 5 (haven't played with 3, but the 5 cards out each turn would make that lame too). Tikal is better with 2 than with 4, and much better with 2 than 3. Your plans, especially with 2 players, can be more stable and you can really develop your little area while still occasionally messing with your opponent. El Grande has development sort of in terms of trying to build up influence in a region, but special actions can drastically rearrange the board in one turn. You almost always can reap another benefit from the loss incurred, but you don't develop any permanent infrastructure that is yours and your plans are much more fluid than Tikal.

Tikal gets repetitive to me--the tiles come randomly, but there's only 3 types (4 counting volcanoes) with a few varying characteristics and you do the same thing over and over. Tikal is also THE AP game I own. This killed the interest I had in Java, which I hear causes even more paralysis.

I think RRT would meet more of your wants for a development game which is fun, replayable, and rewarding. Heck, even Ticket to Ride has more development. My wife also likes games where you develop something permanent so you still realize some tangible accomplishment even if you lose, i.e. Carcassonne, which I see you also have rated highly, TTR, Thurn & Taxis, RRT, etc. Good luck getting something you enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you have a regular game group that's already into German games, get Tikal. I say that because even though El Grande may be a "better" game, Tikal is a) more visually attractive and that's important for getting newbies to play it, b) a great introduction to the concept of action points and c) scales well with 2-4 players, so you're much more likely to get it to the table than waiting for 5 people to try El Grande.

If you already have a regular group of at least 5, go ahead and go for El Grande; but in my opinion Tikal is still worth having.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.