Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted this on the Ferengi Page of BGG, but felt some people may appreciate it here. So enjoy :D

Was discussing this with a friend tonight and it just clicked to me HOW incredible the Ferengi are AT their trade agreements and dealing! Seriously its discovering stuff like this which I like about game designers and finding their visions and how they play out.

Consider their starting Advancement, the "Ferengi Commerce Authority" which allows you to gain +1 Production for each Rival system that at least one Ferengi Ship is orbiting.

This could quite easily cause the following to occur:

FIRST CONTACT (Turn 3)

Human: "Ok Ferengi. We've made first contact. Shall we discuss Trade Agree-"
Ferengi: "-You Get my 3 Production. We want your 1 Production Trade."
H: "-ments.... wait... you want what?"
F: "We want your 1 Production Trade. You can have our 3 Production."
H: "I... wh... what? Wait what? Why would you MAKE that deal?"
F: "Because you want to do business with us. And you want the best deal out of it. So you should get the 3 Production for it."
H: "... but you only want our 1?"
F: "Yes. Cause we will make a deal with you. We want open borders for one turn to move in 2 of our ships to be over these two systems on our border that you control. They will basically let us have 3 Trade each for the same deal."
H: "... huh... well that... seems completely fair! Ok deal!"
F: "Good doing business with you Huuumahn! We shall ready our ships for Warp immediately."

FOLLOWING TURN (Turn 4)
F: "Huumahn. We want to honor our agreement. Will you open your border to us as per your agreement?"
H: "Of course! We profited nicely from your 3 Production. Made ourselves a nice Colonization Flee-"
F: "Ok ok good good. Send in the ships!"
H: "Yeah it was a.... wait a minute... you said 2 ships? THATS 4 SHIPS!"
F: "Yes. What is the problem with that?"
H: "You said TWO ships! TWO! TO TWO SYSTEMS! NOT FOUR SEPERATE SYSTEMS WITH FOUR SERPATE SHIPS!"
F: "And we Sent Two. Then we sent Two more!"
H: "But you ASKED for two! You never said 4!"
F: "Rule of Aquistion 52. Never ask when you can take."
H: "But... (does simple maths)... YOU'RE MAKING 5 PRODUCTION OUT OF US FOR THAT!"
F: "Yes so?"
H: "WE'RE ONLY MAKING 3 PRODUCTION OUT OF THAT DEAL!"
F: "Yes and I couldn't offer a better offer. And this doesn't harm you at all. Our ships will simply sit there and increase our profit. Rule of Aquisition Number 2; the best deal-"
H: "We will NOT stand for this! Your ships will be destroyed and-"
F: "And you would give up your 3 Production by doing so. Not very profitable. And rule number 284 says-"
H: "I thought we were allies. I thought we were friends!"
F: "No see... that's rule number 21."

A fun bit of writing, but the mechanics are actually sound. The Ferengi are definitely profiteers and opportunists. Tread cautiously with them or you may find them swindling you in their favor ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Framarin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That little exchange was pretty great! I read the Ferengi parts in one of their voices. You all know that tone...

Well done on it and the strategy, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In TI3 I never saw a Hacann player making good use of their trade agreements. Maybe we will see that change with STA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
When does a player officially give permission to allow another player to pass? Is it before movement even starts or is it when you're toe to toe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I suppose you could make a verbal agreement anytime but, when you reach the actual ship blocking your path, your opponent could shaft you and say no, costing you the expended movement (as per the rule book).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's the case then this tactic won't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
If that's the case then this tactic won't work.

Why not? You're assuming the other player will renege on the deal when they realize it's a better deal for the Ferengi? They'd still be throwing away the 3 production they were getting in the example.

It's situational and based on the personalities of the players involved, as well as the board layout and relative strength and position of the other players. The idea is to take advantage of a situation where the other player, although not happy at altering the deal, will still be more likely to just suck it up and move on rather than scrapping the deal and losing out on the benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McPeake
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The allowing ships past your blocked territory thing is a move by move agreement, since you only move 1 ship/fleet at a time. The fed player in this case could allow the 1st and 2nd ships over, and say no for the 3rd, 4th, etc. Both then get 3 production. It would then be up to the Ferengi player to break the deal if he's not happy with an equal arrangement.

That said, I appreciate the original post and what it was saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would have been interesting, but Ferengie trade has changed with their starting advancement so anyone who holds a trade agreement with the Ferengi gets production just like the Ferengi. What makes this good for Ferengi is that they can do with with 3 other players while everyone else only do this with the Ferengi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Marinealver wrote:
That would have been interesting, but Ferengie trade has changed with their starting advancement so anyone who holds a trade agreement with the Ferengi gets production just like the Ferengi. What makes this good for Ferengi is that they can do with with 3 other players while everyone else only do this with the Ferengi.

They also get the trade from the card given to them. (Usually the 1 production value, I'd wager)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyromancer wrote:
They also get the trade from the card given to them. (Usually the 1 production value, I'd wager)

That's all I got at first, but the Federation was desperate for resources in our last game, so I talked him into giving me the three. When you have upgraded shields and the ability to orbit their planets even when they have ships there, you have leverage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.