Subject: Roborally Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Hi. I'm considering getting a copy of the new Avalon Hill Roborally. I've noticed there seems to be some contention on whether the new version or the 1994 version is the better of the two games. Anyone care to share their opinions on which version would be a better buy- i.e. clarity of rules, components, learning curve etc? thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm pretty sure the main difference is the components. the newer version has thinner boards , but it has better flags that are clearly visible , a Starting Board so all robots start out as real , it's got a timer to help give the last to finish programming a nudge , but the new one has plastic robots instead of pewter .

so, if you've never played before and won't know what your missing go for the new version. if you've played before and the plastic robots and thinner boards would bother you, get both .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Fraid I can't help you much with a rules/gameplay comparison of the two games as I've never played the new version or even seen it in person. I think I may have read a few posts commenting on how the plastic robot playing pieces offered in the new version are supposedly inferior and slightly fragile (all the robot pieces in the original game are solid metal miniatures). Whether those complaints are valid or not, *shrug* beats me. I'm biased in favor of my metal minis, but that's just me.

I can say however that I own a copy of the original and am very, very happy that I do. Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
f you have the new version, you can play with any rules you like. All you'd have to do is make a few chits to serve as virtual robots.

The best parts of the new version are the upright plastic flags and the timer.
The downside to the new version is you're more limited in potential courses because the boards are double sided. The new version has 4 double sided boards, the older versions 6 one sided boards.

The expansions will work with any version, the difference in thickness notwithstanding, since you're always on one board or another, never half on or half off a board.
Armed & Dangerous has 6 boards and another 26 option cards.
Radioactive, Crash and Burn and Grand Prix have only 3 new boards each I believe.

The first edition figures made from pewter are the most fragile and have no pointers unless you paint them on as I had done. They also have plastic bases you glue the figures onto.

The second edition zinc figures are smaller and different than the first edition, but do have arrows and are all one piece.
The latest edition figures have arrows and are made of plastic.

Basically, you can play the same game with any version.
The latest version is the most accessible to "dummies," as the rules were rewritten to make it easier for people to learn the game and there are lots of gaudy pictures to guide folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
I think I may have read a few posts commenting on how the plastic robot playing pieces offered in the new version are supposedly inferior and slightly fragile (all the robot pieces in the original game are solid metal miniatures).

Unless you are playing with house rules that require bashing the robots with hammers and other hard, destructive objects, there is no chance one is going to break in the course of normal play.

FWIW, someone posted several pics of their broken metal robots in the roborally gallery, so it's certainly not a 'good material/bad material' kind of issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The broken robots are mine.

But this is after many years of continuous use...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Radioactive, Crash and Burn and Grand Prix have only 3 new boards each I believe.

For clarity's sake: Crash and Burn only has two boards. Radioactive and Grand Prix do each have 3.

I'll echo the above repliers' comments that the most fragile robots are the original issue's. The new ones may feel light/flimsy, but they're more likely to remain intact over time.

My original-issue-edition crab-bot has never really held together for very long (if I re-glue him he usually hold up one session before breaking apart again in transit/storage), and my tripod has been a bipod (with one amputated arm, to boot) for many years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

For clarity's sake: Crash and Burn only has two boards. Radioactive and Grand Prix do each have 3.

I'll echo the above repliers' comments that the most fragile robots are the original issue's. The new ones may feel light/flimsy, but they're more likely to remain intact over time.

My original-issue-edition crab-bot has never really held together for very long (if I re-glue him he usually hold up one session before breaking apart again in transit/storage), and my tripod has been a bipod (with one amputated arm, to boot) for many years.

Thanks, Crash & Burn is the only one I haven't at least seen. So 2 boards.
My original robots are 12+ years old and I've had to reglue the bases once and my tripod is a bipod now too. Other than that, they're still in decent shape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, the differences are not huge and it's easy enough to add virtual bots (just cut chits from a leftover sprue from a new game after punching out bits).

I do think it's easier to tell front from back on the new bots (assuming you don't paint your pewter mini's, which seems rare).

The only downside is finding some of the old sets/maps. I particularly liked the race one (Crash and Burn, I think) and Armed and Dangerous. The latter added a slew of additional fun options that I absolutely LOVE to use, as they add some real fun to the game.

Overall, the new version, if nothing else, is FAR cheaper and easier to obtain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
gilby123 wrote:
As others have said, the differences are not huge and it's easy enough to add virtual bots (just cut chits from a leftover sprue from a new game after punching out bits).

I made my own by color-printing images of the robots over clearly distinguishable arrows (on one-inch sqaures), affixing those images to the sticky side of a linoleum tile, and using an X-acto knife to cut out 8 sturdy, heavier/denser-than-cardboard virtual-bot chits.

gilby123 wrote:
The only downside is finding some of the old sets/maps. I particularly liked the race one (Crash and Burn, I think)

"Grand Prix" is the race-themed expansion. Blazing fast boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't limit yourself to only the official boards - go to http://www.roborally.com/boards.asp and see what other boards appeal to you. I made 2 copies each of most of the ones listed there; with the original game boards, Armed & Dangerous and the new version's game boards, we've played with up to 10 boards. Favorites include Cannery Row from the original, plus Highway and The Pyramid from the website. I printed the boards on 110# cardstock on a color printer, trimmed them, pasted them together, used spray adhesive to mount them on poster board and finally had them cold laminated at Kinko's; they're about as thick as the new boards, and are definitely more durable. HINT: If you've got multiple choices of Kinko's locations that have the machine to do the lamination, ask them all what the lamination cost is. I got quoted everything from $2.50 per square foot to $1.00 per running foot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the new one is more attractive, overall, and the rules are clearer. The only downside I see to it is that it doesn't have crushers...but then again, were semi-random instant-kills that much fun to play with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
I think the new one is more attractive, overall, and the rules are clearer. The only downside I see to it is that it doesn't have crushers...but then again, were semi-random instant-kills that much fun to play with?
Yes.

btw I should note, there were two different sets of "original" robots. The original original edition (like mine above) had plastic bases, and some of the robots you weren't quite sure which way they were going. The second "original" edition had a robot rebuild... they were much sturdier, the bases were part of the figures, and they had arrows on them to show which way they were facing. This is the only image I can find which I think is them unpainted:

One of my friends made a grid of pigeon holes in a piece of foam packing for storing his robots. Alas I was not so dedicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
great photo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.