Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play two-player solo or with a friend, but I provide all the cards. It looks like this game is going to require a lot of proxy making? Looking at the upcoming investigators being able to pull from the entire pool.

Are decks going to want to use a lot of the same neutral and class cards?

Just wanting to know before I bought into the game how much of a pain that is going to be.

I would be getting two core sets for sure, but it seems like deck building will be pretty limited unless you want to buy multiple copies of each pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcourtney wrote:
I usually play two-player solo or with a friend, but I provide all the cards. It looks like this game is going to require a lot of proxy making? Looking at the upcoming investigators being able to pull from the entire pool.

Are decks going to want to use a lot of the same neutral and class cards?

Just wanting to know before I bought into the game how much of a pain that is going to be.

I would be getting two core sets for sure, but it seems like deck building will be pretty limited unless you want to buy multiple copies of each pack.

For what it is worth, I've actively collected several LCGs (Lord of the Rings, Netrunner and Game of Thrones). I've never needed to purchase multiple copies of the same content.

Did I have all the cards in triplicate? No. I filled the gab with variety vs. repetition.

The benefit with packs being released monthly is it only takes a few before there is enough variety to service this need. And past LCGs had 50 card decks, triplicate allowance and their deluxe expansions came at the end of a cycle (i.e. it will be easier to get Arkham up and running due to its differences in these regards).

On a strategic note, you probably don't want overlap with your investigators anyway. Draw from different spheres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
No you are not required to make proxies. With two core sets solo you will have the entire card pool. With two investigators you'll only have one complete card pool but it's easy enough to work around each other and just not overlap your card pool. That just a good strategic idea in this game anyway since if you both are strong and weak at the same things you'll have holes in your decision space. You won't both be able to have 2x Machete in your decks for example, but if you person is specializing in physical attacks just make the other investigator good at something else like evading, investigating, spell casting etc.

As the card pool grows this consideration will become less and less an issue. Though I will say if you are going to try and support 4 investigators all by yourself in the core set environment you will have to do heavy coordination between decks to make sure any one investigator doesn't feel too underpowered. In that event I'd recommend doing proxies of core set cards just to make life easier. Your resources will just be stretched really thin at four plaeyrs with only two core sets and it's not impossible to make 4 functional deck, but it takes a lot of coordination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
One core set will give you 1 of each class card and at least 2 of each neutral card.

With two core sets you have 2 of each class card and at least 4 of each neutral card. This can 100% make any of the core set investigators, and can make any 2 core set investigators that don't overlap.

Each expansion has 2 of each class card and an unknown number of each neutral (at least 2, but Dunwich Legacy doesn't have any).

Since you're limited to 2 of each card and only 30 card decks, there may be the occasional card from an expansion that you'd want 2 investigators to each have 2 of, but it should be rare. The Dunwich Legacy investigators can only have 5 out of class cards, so again, overlap should probably be minimal - you'd be talking about proxying 10 cards, max, for two players plus any extra neutrals.

So for 2 players, most of the time, 2 cores and 1 of each expansions should be plenty, with minimal proxying, as long as you're not looking to play two characters that need the same class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you do need to proxy, it will only be a couple cards. I could see Lucky as a card that would be great in virtually any investigator deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.