Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As some people may have overheard, I feel the Federation struggle in many ways. Their Racial Bonus is too luck based compared to Strategy Based (which I feel has been resolved quite well with the "split Exploration Deck" mod), but also that a number of their Advancements are underwhelming in application by the core rules.

The Specific Advancements I refer to are:
- Adv. Stellar Cartography
- Long Range Sensor Arrays
- Class 4 Industrial Replicators

The problem I have with all of these are they are powerful in the early game, but REALLY lose momentum at the mid-game (and are near pointless in the late game). And due to their costs, its VERY difficult to get these cards into play before First Contact/ the mid game.

I will acknowledge that these cards are EXCELLENT cards to choose if using the "Starting Advancement" rule, where you can choose one card from your Advancement Deck to start the game with... but otherwise I find they are too lacking to be powerful.

Thus, I chose to go and create some alternatives for them. These are to replace the above and do so with identical costs, traits, and warp tokens to maintain a degree of balance.

And so here they are:

This card turns the Federation Weakness into a potential boon. Prior its deployment, any "Pre-Warp Civilization" system is off limits to the Federation (though it does reward them with Culture if they find it first). Once these activates however, the Federation turn them into personal Colony Nodes with the requirement they need to park a ship in orbit above the world. And, with its low cost, it can be deployed quite quickly.

The downsides are its both circumstantial AND easily countered. Even if using the rules of "Split Exploration Deck" there is no assurance any Pre-Warp Civ's will appear in a game. And, even if they do, its not assured if it will appear in Federation territory.

Furthermore, IF 2+ of these systems do appear (creating a decent Research Cost for Culture Profit gain) AND are within Federation defended Territory, its a fragile boost that may require decent defending as any warmonger rival could swoop in to destroy the "monitoring ship/s"; then completely destroy the Civilization via Coloniation to remove the bonus completely for the Feds - even if they were to reclaim it, the Civilization is fore-ever changed via intergalactic interaction.

Plus its nicely thematic I find and memorable of a few episodes (and even one movie ;D ).

Speaking of Movies, here's a direct tribute to one with an interesting Mechanic.

First of all, it is an advancement with an extra condition - in that the Fedeation must not ONLY build all of their own Starbases AND maintain control of them, but they must also secure at least one Rival Starbase (which, given they are the Federation, must be done via Hegemony... though may require a space battle to clear the way in first).

Furthermore, if they secure it, they must maintain it to earn the Culture for it. A feat that may be more challenging than anticipated, but rewarding if achieved. It would definitely support a more Aggressive, Expansive-focused Federation.

Plus the thematic potential of this being played after the Federation diplomatically take Bajor from the Cardassians, securing the Starbase built there, AND developing it with 2 Culture Nodes... well its a pretty tasty image :D

While the first two cards are used to help the Federation use Research to gain Culture to push for their Ascendency, but requiring some risk for reward to acomplish it, this last one comes in handy when the Federation know they will be facing off against more aggressive opponents (such as the Klingons) and suspect space combat will be quite common.

Given that the Federation should typically focus on Production last, and play more Defensive than offensive, this card helps mitigate their losses somewhat. While it won't save ships outright, it does allow you the ability to rebuild them later (consider the injured crew/s saved, and reassigned to a new ship). Or, it can allow those injured but alive Crew Members to commit to civilian lives by building Nodes.

This won't produce a "Horde" mentality as, if the entire Federation Fleet of 30 ships is destroyed in a Space battle, they would only be able to rebuild back to 10 ships with the fallout resources.

Anyway, those are my alternatives. I have one or two other ideas for what else could exist, but these are what I'm playtesting now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the cards. What image editing software did you use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
Like the cards. What image editing software did you use.

All photoshop. And print screen on the rulebook to get highest quality I could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I really like the Xeno Anthropology card. I almost wish this was part of the Federation's racial bonus to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im not really sure the feds need a boost. i also think you are underestimating stellar cartography in the late game. i have used it to good success to explore extra systems where no one else could, gaining extra culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I have the same concerns as the O.P. about Advancements. They are an interesting part of the game but, usually, the Feds and Klingons largely ignore them because falling behind in the arms races is simply fatal, and Fed advancements, in particular, are too expensive to obtain when they are actually useful. There are exceptions, of course, such as the Exploration card that gives you your top advancement for free (once in a great while, that can bring you a powerful advancement in time), or you get a ton of research early. The Romulans pretty much have to buy Advancements, and their success in the game, I find, hinges on having a lot of research. Nonetheless, I would love to see some simple modification (without the trouble of printing new cards) that would ameliorate the trade-off between arms and Advancements (something like buying an advancement with 5 production, once per turn and with a blind draw, maybe with a limit on how many times you can do this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Just to see how many advancements I could get out, I played where active projects received a free research token from the supply at the end of every round. I also moved the add research option out of the build phase and made it cost 1 command to add 1 research to an active project during the command phase. Seemed ok, as the Feds had about 7 researched advancements at the end game, and the klingons still only had 2. Romulans went for it and got 9 I think, but at the cost of expanding, and fell behind on ships. I might try this again with the expansions to see how well the theme holds up. (Anything to make the game feel more thematic, for me, supersedes any balance issues.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Yes, I always wondered how the Klingons and Ferengi managed to have scientists at all, given their cultures. I like the idea of adding research during the movement phase. I've even thought of having a second type of research token, available only from phenomena, that can only be used for advancements, not weapons or shields. I will try it out sometime, probably with all those Disgruntled tokens from Firefly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
Yes, I always wondered how the Klingons and Ferengi managed to have scientists at all, given their cultures. I like the idea of adding research during the movement phase. I've even thought of having a second type of research token, available only from phenomena, that can only be used for advancements, not weapons or shields. I will try it out sometime, probably with all those Disgruntled tokens from Firefly.

Because researching phenomena makes you sad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.