Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know very little about this game. I've heard some good things, there seems to be lots of excitement for the Kickstarter, and that's about it. So, I really have no idea what the contents of the Gambler's Chest adds to the game, and it seems several others have had questions about this as well.

So, I know there are lots of great folks on BGG who really know and love the game, and I'm wondering if someone would mind compiling a list of what's in the Gambler's Chest, along with a short description of what and how much each item adds to the game?

I wish I could do it, but I have no point of reference or real understanding of the game (and I find the whole campaign a bit confusing).

No worries if someone is not willing and able to do this (I know it is a buy time of year). But, I really feel I and others would benefit from it, so I thought I'd ask. Worst case scenario, I just won't back the GC... but I'd really hate to miss out on it if it adds a lot of good stuff and I'm just not understanding it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny A
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We don't exactly know how much any of it adds to the game. There's mention of advanced rules with philosophies and scouts, etc. But we really have no idea what impact this will have on gameplay.

Many of the miniatures include gear cards, fighting arts, and other miscellaneous cards. Again we don't know what impact any of these individual items will have. If it's anything like the cards that come with the existing promos, they'll be mostly jokey, weird, or unbalanced, with a couple good ones worth adding to your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greasy Reese
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on what you're interested in. For most people who are entirely new to KDM, the core game is massive and will keep you entertained for 100+ hours and loads of replayability. Seriously, everything beyond the core game is gravy. Delicious gravy, but gravy nonetheless. (Also, the gravy is laced with crack. Consider yourself warned).

So... if you're still interested in expanding your pledge beyond the base $250, then ask yourself why.

If you're more interested in the gameplay, then add an expansion or two (or more, depending on your budget and your sanity). There are plenty of posts here discussing which of the existing expansions are "best" and what they add to the game, so I won't go into detail again here. (As for the new expansions, there's limited info but they look awesome). The Gambler's Chest does have some gameplay elements, including an advanced rulebook and some Narrative Sculpts that come with very minor gameplay items. IMO the gameplay elements of the GC are targeted at those who have already played the game a few times and are looking to spice things up and add some complexity. Of course you can add these elements to your first campaign, but it's not necessary and probably not even advisable. Besides, if you include everything from the beginning, you've got nowhere left to grow.

If you're more interested in the hobby of collecting and painting the minis, then go for whichever add-ons interest you the most. Pinups, promos, etc. As you can see, the Gambler's Chest has a lot of Narrative Sculptures in it, so if those look interesting to you then go for it.

Either way, the Gambler's Chest does have pretty incredible value for what you're getting in it. But value is subjective, so... do whatever you want. lol.

Hope that shed some light on your options. If you want to see more of a monetary breakdown of the KS offerings, I'll be updating this cost analysis tool throughout the campaign:

Kickstarter Cost Analysis Tool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Dosher
msg tools
Honestly, the way I look at it is that it is all about adding additional replayability. Benny A is correct where we don't know the full effect, but based on my knowledge I could do an educated guess.

The advanced rulebook (scout and Philosophy of death so far) add more optional rules that can mix up the ways you play the campaign.

Whereas for each of the unique sculpts not only do they provide a unique miniature, but each one usually comes with some bonus card such as fighting arts, secret fighting arts, gear cards, hybrid sets, hunt events, and disorders. without spoiling anything let's just say adding these cards to the game "should" make it more dynamic and increase replayability by adding more options and effects to the game.

I hope this helps if you don't care about spoilers PM me and I could go more in depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Adam posted that with what's been revealed so far the chest includes over 100 cards for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a post here that I try and keep updated:

[Update 39] Updated contents of Gambler's Box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:

I have a post here that I try and keep updated:

[Update 39] Updated contents of Gambler's Box!

Very glad with this overview Klutz! Thanks for keeping it up to date! (And a very awesome gif-animation of KDM in your portrait btw )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magallian wrote:
(And a very awesome gif-animation of KDM in your portrait btw )

Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.