Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much to say here, other than I hope 2017 is richer with Runebound 3E content than we've seen so far. The card/character and scenario packs have been welcome, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't surprised and dismayed at how little we've seen even teased for the future.

Some speculated big box expansions were on the horizon, ala Sands of Al-Kalim or Frozen Wastes. Was this idle speculation, or honest details intimated by the developers (e.g. from Gencon chatter, etc)?

Anyhoo, I've been enjoying 3E so far, for what that is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To be honest, there isn't much talk about this game here or on FFG forums.
I suspect it isn't as successful as expected, so it is lower priority at the moment than blockbuster franchises like Star Wars, Game of Thrones or even Arkham Files Series.

I suspect there will be something announced around the time Runewars Miniatures Games is released, to promote Terrinoth as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
I suspect it isn't as successful as expected, so it is lower priority at the moment than blockbuster franchises like Star Wars, Game of Thrones or even Arkham Files Series.

I suspect there will be something announced around the time Runewars Miniatures Games is released, to promote Terrinoth as a whole.

Not true. Expansions sold out instantly, and then again, then again. I'm not surprised at all, FFG doesn't care much about their board games anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know but i think the Reid666 is right, so the FFG priority list should be close as follow.

1 - Franchises licenses. (Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Eldrith Files Series, Descent Series,...)
2 - Newly or renovated licences (Id Software - ex: Doom, X-Com)
3 - Other Terrinoth Series (Runebound, Runewars, etc...)

More to add, the FFG has lost the licenses of Warhammer universe, so they'll use some focus to look for another alternative licenses to their catalog in 2017. So I'll suspect the Gen Con 2017 will bring some surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two reasons this isn't going anywhere

1) far inferior to 2e, the casting pogs are friggin horrid.....no one like this...plus, they get wore out due to being cardboard and frequent use

2) we are talking about the new ffg/ana and they don't give a frogs fat ass about the gaming community....that is just their cover for their money grubbing ways......release a new version with a few changes after making the prior version oop.....sell to all the people who enjoyed that oop edition, and then kill it after a small expansion or two....rinse and repeat

You deserve better than ANA, all of us in the hobby do.

Do the hobby a favor and support the companies that deserve it.....cmon comes to mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game's been out a little over a year, and we've had 4 reasonably priced expansions that have added new characters, cards, skills, items, and scenarios, and mechanics. It's way more content in that short a period than we would have seen from the FFG of even 3 years ago. Personally I prefer the model to the yearly (or longer) big box expansions.

That said, I'd be surprised if we didn't get news of either another set of expansions or a bigger box expansion this year at some point, but I'm not worried about the future of the game. FFG has a lot of irons in the fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:
1) far inferior to 2e, the casting pops are friggin horrid.....no one like this...plus, they get wore out due to being cardboard and frequent use

Quite some logic there. No one likes playing the game, and it gets played so much that the components wear out. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
mhutton wrote:
1) far inferior to 2e, the casting pops are friggin horrid.....no one like this...plus, they get wore out due to being cardboard and frequent use

Quite some logic there. No one likes playing the game, and it gets played so much that the components wear out. shake

Twist em how you need my words to be.....just through a few games they start wearing.....cheap component/stupid decision, you decide

I also notice how you didn't refute that 2e is a much better game

Quit supporting such a sleazy company that wants to create a monopoly and force feed you over priced games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
mhutton wrote:

Quite some logic there. No one likes playing the game, and it gets played so much that the components wear out. :shake:

Twist em how you need my words to be.....just through a few games they start wearing.....cheap component/stupid decision, you decide

Quit supporting such a sleazy company that wants to create a monopoly and force feed you over priced games

I'll refute it. Every single person I've played with in real life has life runebound 3rd edition better. Every single one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:

This is a terrible thing to say. They make board games, some of which got me into the hobby - Space Hulk Death Angel being the first. I could not call any board game manufacturer sleazy, actually I am more worried about some of the little guys on Kickstarter than the big guys who deliver.

Regarding pricing, I appreciated that the expansions for Runebound were not expensive. The components are good but the expansion boxes were very light weight. I liked this because they put the money where it mattered, knowing the expansions would go in the complete edition box.

I like the tokens, have not had any wear yet but I will admit I have a spare token pack on the shelf. The tokens are holding up nicely now, but time will tell if they last. I liked them because it made getting a magic item important. You did not just get +1 to attack or damage, you got a new token possibly with special rules.

I will say while pretty I do not like the sticker dice. The stickers occasionally come loose. I could find a solution by using a sealant, but this is patching the product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:

*Rates Space Hulk a 10

shake

Note: All of these companies make luxury games. Nobody is being force-fed. Enjoy your time gaming as a social activity, enjoy your love for an artistic style or story, enjoy some of the math that's involved in the mechanisms, or simply enjoy collecting if that's what makes you happy. The numerous resources we have to research and decide if we want to buy or skip something are overwhelming, there is really no excuse for making a "bad decision"/blind buy anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
BGFreakDag2PT wrote:
I don't know but i think the Reid666 is right, so the FFG priority list should be close as follow.

1 - Franchises licenses. (Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Eldrith Files Series, Descent Series,...)
2 - Newly or renovated licences (Id Software - ex: Doom, X-Com)
3 - Other Terrinoth Series (Runebound, Runewars, etc...)

More to add, the FFG has lost the licenses of Warhammer universe, so they'll use some focus to look for another alternative licenses to their catalog in 2017. So I'll suspect the Gen Con 2017 will bring some surprise.

Last year they've bought Legend of the Five Rings license, so I'm expecting them to exploit the theme heavily to get their investment returned.
LCG will be a main product, but who knows if we'll see Talisman and Chaos in the Old World taken into the world of Rokugan.
L5R lore is vast and deep enough to use it for almost any re-theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
The game's been out a little over a year, and we've had 4 reasonably priced expansions that have added new characters, cards, skills, items, and scenarios, and mechanics. It's way more content in that short a period than we would have seen from the FFG of even 3 years ago.

I think this is demonstrably wrong.

Lets see if we can do that:

Runebound 2E appears to have released in 2005 according to its Geek page.

On the expansions page, all these titles are given the 2005 date:

Runebound: Artifacts and Allies
Runebound: Crown of the Elder Kings
Runebound: Relics of Legend
Runebound: The Dark Forest
Runebound: The Island of Dread (Big Box!)
Runebound: The Scepter of Kyros
Runebound: The Terrors of the Tomb

Need I go on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Marlowespade wrote:
The game's been out a little over a year, and we've had 4 reasonably priced expansions that have added new characters, cards, skills, items, and scenarios, and mechanics. It's way more content in that short a period than we would have seen from the FFG of even 3 years ago.

I think this is demonstrably wrong.

Lets see if we can do that:

Runebound 2E appears to have released in 2005 according to its Geek page.

On the expansions page, all these titles are given the 2005 date:

Runebound: Artifacts and Allies
Runebound: Crown of the Elder Kings
Runebound: Relics of Legend
Runebound: The Dark Forest
Runebound: The Island of Dread (Big Box!)
Runebound: The Scepter of Kyros
Runebound: The Terrors of the Tomb

Need I go on?

That was the old ffg"they cared about great games first.....not price tags
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:

Old FFG had very few titles in their roster, so that they worked a lot on the same lines. And produced some great titles, with a load of materials, a horrible playtesting and nefarious wordings (the FAQ for Descent 1st edition is longer than the rulebooks of the entire line).

New FFG has a gazillion titles to develop, and they put a lot more effort in testing and quality assessment so that titles come down ad a slower place.

Better few but goods, me think. But it's just a matter of personal taste, of course.

As for 2nd over 3rd: they are different. Some guys like 2nd better, some others like 3rd better. I don't understand why many keep on posting on 3rd edition forums they hate this game and 2nd edition was so much better (curious if 2nd edition forum are invaded by hordes of 3rd edition players saying the new edition is so much better). Beware, no probs with this, it's just curiosity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:

What is your problem with "the new FFG"? If you don't like them then don't buy anything from them, it's that easy.
It's a business after all, and CMON games are not cheap either at $100 a game and $30 for a small box "expansion" with only a handfull or minis.

My group likes 3rd Edition way more than the previous, and yes that includes the token combat. We have played around 20 games and those tokes hold up fine with almost no signs of wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Reid666 wrote:

Not true. Expansions sold out instantly, and then again, then again. I'm not surprised at all, FFG doesn't care much about their board games anymore.

This ^^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both many times and i like them both equally for different groups and experiences. They feel so different from each other it's probably best to keep them separate and not compare the two. That's just my opinion though.

I would imagine with the loss of the GW license they are probably shuffling a lot of work around and setting up need designs. I wouldn't worry about no new content. The game is doing good and they aren't going to abandon it any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:

Runebound (Third Edition) rank 527
Runebound (Second Edition) rank 582

Refuted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
mhutton wrote:

Refuted.

Well, to be fair, newer, overhyped games always rise to the top. But from what I gather, 3e is just a different game. Not better, not worse, just different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
mhutton wrote:

Refuted.

Well, to be fair, newer, overhyped games always rise to the top. But from what I gather, 3e is just a different game. Not better, not worse, just different.

That's simply untrue - older games generally have more votes, and therefore have an advantage because of how BGG ratings work.

2E has 7k votes against 3E 1.4k. I also don't see how 3E could possibly count as 'overhyped' since it's actually had relatively little press or coverage compared to many other games. And the few reviews I have seen were actually quite indifferent to the game. If it has done well, it's purely on its own merits and the following the previous editions had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:

Just to make the point: it is now less than two hours after I posted this, and already we're at 20 comments (and I didn't really start out with a gripping thesis, after all). This goes to show that the lack of talk isn't necessarily a corollary with lack of interest.

We just don't have much to talk about (the rules are simple enough, and the content is thin thus far -- nothing on the horizon to dissect or discuss).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
mhutton wrote:

Refuted.

I think it's better in almost every way. And I'm someone who played a bunch of 2nd edition with all expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3e will never get the ezpansions that 2e did.....ffg will kill it off pong before that

N just in time to release 4e. This game will get the same treatment that battlelore 2e got
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If an official solo/ cooperative expansion and/or rule set came out I think it would have a lot of support. Runebound has a long history with solo gamers. You can solo 3rd edition, but many people don't enjoy playing both sides during the combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.