flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
10.2 Ranged Attack Criteria
Normally, a unit may not conduct a Ranged Attack if it is in an
eZOC. (Exceptions: Adjacent Defensive Support; see 10.3.6,
10.7 Friction Fire, and 11.5.2.2 Return Fire Ranged Attack. Also
note that AFVs ignore eZOC and an eZOC does not extend into
close terrain or Strongpoints; see 12.1 and 7.3 respectively).

=> being in an eZOC prevents ranged attacks, got it.

Exceptions: It is allowed to make some adjacent ranged attacks which would be otherwise prohibited by the above. Specifically friction fire, return fire, and against adjacent fields as defensive support, if no other enemy unit exerts a ZOC to the firing unit.

Quote:
12.1 Armored Fighting Vehicles (AFVs)
All units with an Armor rating of 1 or higher are considered AFVs
for the purposes of this game. A few special rules and exceptions
apply to AFVs. AFVs:
• Ignore eZOC of all units.

=> AFVs ignore eZOCs, got it. Implies they can make adjacent ranged attacks with no restrictions.

But the play note in 12.1 throws me off, I cannot parse it:

Quote:
Play Note:
While AFVs ignore
eZOC, they are still limited by the three usual exceptions for
performing Ranged Attacks against adjacent units, and they
can perform Adjacent Defensive Support (10.3.6) even when
adjacent to an enemy unit that is not involved in the Combat.

=> How is this related? The exceptions do not limit ranged attacks, they specifically allow adjacent ranged attacks in a certain condition, where the main rule would disallow them. But that condition "being in an eZOC" never applies to AFVs, as they ignore eZOCs. Or..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the point is not that the eZOCs prevent Ranged Attacks in general, but that AFVs can't make Ranged Attacks versus adjacent targets unless allowed by those excpetions.

So an adjacent unit doesn't prevent your AFV from making a Ranged Attack against a different unit (because the AFV isn't affected by the adjacent unit's ZOC), but you still can't Ranged Attack the adjacent unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

In general you cannot make ranged attacks against ADJACENT hexes with any units. Against adjacent hexes you must perform Combats or Assaults.

The EXCEPTION to this rule against ranged attacks on adjacent hexes are 1) Friction Fire 2) Adjacent Defensive Support and 3) Return fire ranged attacks.

Items 1 and 2, the target MUST be in a field hex, and the unit firing must not be in an enemy ZOC other from than the target unit itself.

Item 3: Return Fire Ranged Attacks are basically part of the ARC where you use the Ranged attack value (Instead of Anti-Tank Value) to return fire against an Anti-Tank Gun.
When you do this, any suppression results are ignored. You can only try to kill the gun. However, you get a very nice die-roll modifier for Return Fire against big guns. Also, any step reductions are applied to the TARGET big gun only. Imagine that the big gun revealed itself by firing, so your tank opened up directly against it with machine guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

Could you point to the rule which forbids ranged attacks against adjacent units?

I can find only a rule which forbids them if in eZOC. I.e. looks like, from the rules, armor and units in heavy bocage, etc. can always fire adjacent, as the ZOC is not there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Page 3 in the glossary for Ranged Attack. (Attacks that generally take place at a range of two or more hexes)

Also, the very first paragraph of 10.0 Ranged Attacks. (Units with a RAS printed on their counter may fire into non-adjacent hexes, unless marked Fired.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
truep wrote:
Page 3 in the glossary for Ranged Attack. (Attacks that generally take place at a range of two or more hexes)

That does not help, because of "generally". Might mean "e.g. because of eZOC at one hex range"

Quote:
Also, the very first paragraph of 10.0 Ranged Attacks. (Units with a RAS printed on their counter may fire into non-adjacent hexes, unless marked Fired.)

However, this is 100% definitive. Thank you, tipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
By the way, I was also very confused at first because I was mixing up Anti-Tank Fire and Ranged Attacks in my mind. I know lots of games lump them together.

Anti-Tank Fire you must be able to see the UNIT itself (see the rules on concealment, LOS, and temporary reveal), and it is always targeted against a specific single unit. It is also the only way to kill AFV's (except scout and carrier platoons which are special). Anti-tank CAN be against an adjacent hex.

Ranged attacks are always against an entire hex (except for return fire ranged attacks, which I explained above). They are (with 3 exceptions) only allowed against non-adjacent hexes. You don't have to see the unit that is concealed. You just have to have LOS to the hex, or a spotter with LOS, in the case of indirect fire (mortars, artillery, etc..they are marked with a yellow boxed range to remind you).

Those are the main differences between the two types of attacks.

Believe it or not, all these rules become easy to remember. I haven't even been able to play in several weeks. It really sticks in your mind when you play a bunch!

Have fun and hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
truep wrote:

Believe it or not, all these rules become easy to remember.

Yes, on repetition. I played ASL heavily in the 90's. I believe I can still correctly calculate any To-Hit roll, even for the more esoteric cases, from memory, based on experience. Except the Landing Craft rules. Those never made sense to me.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It sounds like Bryan and Doug got you squared away. (Thanks, guys!)

The important distinction is between eZOC and adjacency. Adjacency does not equal ZOC in this game.

There are two mutually exclusive rules involving Ranged Attacks:

1. Normally, you cannot make Ranged Attacks into adjacent hexes (with the three already-noted exceptions involving FF, ARC, and Adjacent Defensive Support of a Combat).

2. You cannot make a Ranged Attack if you're in an eZOC. This has nothing to do with the range of your target. It just means that an enemy unit (which usually isn't your intended target) is adjacent to you, and you're not in close terrain (since ZOC does not extend into close terrain). Also note that AFVs ignore eZOC, so this rule never applies to them (but #1 still applies to them).

Hope this is all clear now. If not, just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when analyzing the rules, it's easy to (incorrectly) just mentally discard the adjacency limitation because it seems superfluous. This illustrates why it isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.