Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Number of players: 4 (though 1 left for the last 2 games).

Games played in order:
1) Incan Gold
2) Pirate's Cove
3) Memoir '44: Overlord (Ardennes)
4) Ra
5) Incan Gold
6) Nature of the Beast - demo printed from website. not "played"
(I own: "Farm vs. Forest")

I got the three others started on Incan Gold while I called to confirm who was and wasn't coming. After that we played Pirate's Cove which was our hosts request. Mr. C. had it all set up and ready to go.

Pirate's Cove was fun. I had an early and big lead. I went for treasures and buried them early. I did beat the Royal Navy but only just barely. I went the majority of the game with only 2 on cannons. I narrowly lost by 3 points because the player who won played the card that gave him the same treasures that I buried in that round.

I like Pirate's Cove but it seems a little bit too lucky for my taste. It is good fun. Who gets the parrots and certain other cards seem to be more important than actual strategy in determining the winner. It is good but I'm looking for a little more meat personally. I wonder if Winds of Plunder or the new verion of Black Beard both by GMT would fit the bill?

This was our first time to play Overlord and it went fairly well. I was the Axis with Mr. C playing the Ardennes senario from the website. We lost 12 to 2. Yes, cards were really not on our side and neither were the dice rolls. But we made plenty of mistakes. I think I will be the Commander and Chief next time. I'll also be sure to practice more before we play it with a large group. It might be good to have everyone warm up with some 2 player games before we get started on Overlord next time.

One player had to leave after that. Ra went over very well and the other two picked up on it right away. My score was 63 and the other players were in the 40's. I've played the version that I was able download here from BGG quite a bit so I've learned some things from it. They both really liked it and want to play it again. They think that the 5 player game will also be good though that not everyone from our group will be interested in it.

I played the next game of Incan Gold and unfortunately fell for the pressure to stay in a little too long on the first round so I ended up with nothing. The other two ended the game tied because they both chickened out at the same time. Actually, I left the same time they did all but one of the following rounds. Since it was tied and they each had 1 artifact they had to do a tie breaker round. I asked to join to make it more interesting. Well, we determined a winner though technically I would have won if we would have counted my score. The guy who won was just trying to beat the guy he had tied which he did do. He lost to him the first game of the day.

After that I showed them the print out of the Nature of the Beast demo from the website. They both seemed very interested. The one player said he was more interested in the City I think because of the police dog and the Junkyard dog. Of course ... I own Farm vs. Forest. Maybe he'll buy the City vs. Suburb battlebox? Hopefully he'll get hooked and pick that one up.

We plan to play Nature of the Beast next time. The three of us will also play Twilight Struggle though we might only play for about an hour and a half and then stop so we can re-read the rules the following week and then try to play a full game in our next session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.