Subject: A couple of games in rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm really enjoying this game so far. My first AAR.

1 Just Another Day/Observation Post
Roble here. It was one of those days when you think is it really almost over? Could we be home for the holidays this year?
The condition of the guys we've captured the last two days is pretty pathetic.
Let's hope it stays that way...

Kasinski comes out of the CP with that stupid grin and says the only thing we have to do today is take the morning watch in the old German OP on the other side of town.

Scanlan and I saddle up. Kasinski's got his M1 over his shoulder grenade on his belt. I tell 'em I'm going to run and grab a few more but they ain't in the mood to wait. We haven't heard any action since last night so we chance a walk through the ruins to see if we can find some decent souvenirs. It will cost us a little time but we got plenty of that today.

So we’re walking along just enjoying the quiet, doing a little rummaging and getting close to the building the Germans had been using as an OP. Scanlan thinks he hears something. Man has got some ears on him, he’s saved me more than once. We stay real quiet and Scanlan sets up the bipod just to be on the safe side.

Sure enough we see an ancient German in an officer’s uniform about 100 yards away. What is he doing out here? I say maybe he was knocked out in yesterday’s fight. Scanlan whispers it’s more likely he got drunk and passed out. Kasinski tells us to cut the chatter, we aren’t taking any chances. Kasinski and I each take a pop at him and Scanlan fires off a few rounds. Opa may be old but he ain’t slow, he hits the dirt like a seasoned vet. Has he got a squad? A radio?

We wait a few seconds expecting it to hit the fan and cursing ourselves for not picking up some more gear, but nothing happens. Kasinski’s getting suspicious and as I mentioned he’s not one to wait around much. He tells us to cover him and steals off toward the OP to try to flank the guy. I stay back to load for Scanlan in case things heat up.

Opa would have had to be deaf not to hear Kasinski cuss when he tripped into an open septic tank. It was his mistake though as Scanlan cut loose as soon as he stuck his head up. Opa wouldn’t be hearing anything after that.

Pretty soon Kasinski tosses a grenade into the OP. Those poor guys must have been dead asleep or wounded because I don’t think they even knew we were in the neighborhood. After about a minute of quiet Kassinski shows up in one of the second story windows. He gave us the high sign (well a sign anyway, he was pretty pissed that we were laughing at him). We spent the morning staying as far from him as possible. Scanlan heard something a few times but nothing got close enough to get a bead on it.

Wish every day could be this easy…

The game is fun in a way what I had hoped Frontline D-Day would be. I'll now try that title again with "Miss" counters to see if I can come to appreciate it.

As added bonus it finally encouraged me to learn the basic rules of "Up Front" after only owning it for 20 years.

I suspect it is still the game many of us are hoping for every time we buy the next card based wargame with "easy to learn" rules.
I was pleased to find I could learn most of Up Front from watching Vassal game logs. I now understand its reputation.

Take care,

Brent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
bcarter1234 wrote:
The game is fun in a way what I had hoped Frontline D-Day would be.

That's a very astute observation.

bcarter1234 wrote:
As added bonus it finally encouraged me to learn the basic rules of "Up Front" after only owning it for 20 years.

Anything that encourages someone to learn the BEST WARGAME EVER MADE is a good thing. I'm always willing to teach on Vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="bcarter1234"

Opa would have had to be deaf not to hear Kasinski cuss when he tripped into an open septic tank.
[/q]

Great write up Brent! Please keep them coming!

Kasinski proves himself to be a true septic.

Septic - septic tank - colloquial contraction of rhyming slang for Yank!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
DaveyJJ wrote:
bcarter1234 wrote:
The game is fun in a way what I had hoped Frontline D-Day would be.

That's a very astute observation.

bcarter1234 wrote:

Anything that encourages someone to learn the BEST WARGAME EVER MADE is a good thing. I'm always willing to teach on Vassal.

David,

Do you have a current opinion on Frontline D-Day? Have you tried miss markers?

I anticipated just such a response from you re: UF.laugh I've seen your comments previously and take your thoughts into consideration for purchase decisions.

I may take you up on a Vassal game in the near future. I'm playing through Scenario A solitaire GE v BR a few minutes at a time in the evenings and so far it seems to be going along with a minimum of fuss. I can't believe I waited this long to take the time to learn at least the infantry rules. It is a wonderful system.

Now to share something I hope you'll enjoy. A quick glance at your avatar has always made me think of Neil Patrick Harris. Ergo in my convoluted mind I picture his face when I read a post from you.
Don't spoil it for me. Imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

Take care,

Brent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually look like a cross between a young Richard Thomas (aka John Boy Walton) and John Malkovich. However, the family is musical, like NPH, but you don't want me to sing; my opera singing/vocal coach brother has got much better pipes.

Tried miss markers, still found the game lacking, but it's because I've had Up Front for 33 years.

Scenario A is a great one to learn on, as are B, F, and G. Except for things like infiltration and close combat that cause new players some headaches, UF is not a hard game to learn at all. There are a lot of great player aids available to learn the game, especially ones that summarize actions that groups can take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.