Terence Co
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A small excellent game on the Russian Civil war which can be played in an evening.

This game can also be played by 2-6 players with one player playing the Reds and the others playing the various White factions.

The game is still quite good being played with two players but I can imagine there will be a lot of backstabbing and jockeying for power if played with more than 2 players.

The game is basically area movement, chit pull game.

The chit pull system(see who goes first by the pull of the chit). There is a sequence of play but this is determined by a chit pull which determines which faction gets to move, fight or recruit new units so each turn has a different sequence of play. provides that no two games are the same, in fact it quite accurately mirrors the chaos of the Russian civil war.

Victory depends on the accumulation of political influence points. Political influence basically represents the total support of the Russian people for your faction. This is gained by conquering areas each of which have different political influence values.

WHAT I LIKED: Quite easy to learn, playable in an evening, can be learned by a non wargamer, nice combat rules(roll a 6 to kill a unit, ala Byzantium Reborn and Defiant Russia)mirroring the attrition warfare of the war, nice graphics, nice meld of politics and warfare and the Chit pull system makes the game unpredictable and a nail biter to the end(lots of swings of fortune on this one).

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE: THe rules I got needed some editing, some units are not mentioned in the rules in how they work(Denkin volunteer units), one counter in the game but not needed(Tsar Nicholas counter now just a marker). I feel the game is tilted towards the Reds due to the fertile replacement and reinforcement rules for them but the Whites can still win(due to the chit pull system).

Tactics: The Reds have a great advantage in terms of getting reinforcements and replacements and this is mainly due to the high political influence they maintain throughout the game mainly because of their control of the important parts of the Russian Empire namely the Moscow area, Kazan etc. The White faction while numerous is hobbled by their disunity.The best tactic in my opinion is to have the Reds try to kill as many White factions as fast as possible. As the game wears on, the White faction becomes stronger, especially when the Poles come in. The strongest white faction is Denkin due not only to their strong control of the crimean regions which gives them good political influence but also the presence of elite units such as volunteers, tanks, aircraft in their ranks(though other factions have them, its not as pronounced as with the Denkin faction). And even if you maange to knock it out of the game(by killing all of its units, its not yet dead but replaced by the entry of the Wrangel faction. If the white faction can deny those key areas by contesting them or conquering them then it could be the doom of the Reds.

CONCLUSION: AN enjoyable game, I quite liked playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fassio
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, going to have to track down a copy for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terence review was based on the prerealese version... The game has changed a bite since then and the Whites definitily had the upper hand on the released game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.