BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Teachers - games that use math skills, for gr. 5 students rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who is a grade 5 teacher, and she mentioned that she needs more games for her students to play in the classroom--usually as a "reward" for completing their work, but occasionally as an organized part of a lesson. She really works hard to engage the kids and make learning fun. (The other day she was playing Rock, Paper, Scissors with a kid while teaching the class about probability.)

What games can you suggest that are fast, fun, and would give 10-year-olds a chance to practice their math skills? My friend is mostly looking for reinforcement of "traditional" math skills, like addition / subtraction and multiplication / division, but as long as there is some manipulation of numbers I think it would be good.

All I could think of was a couple of Cheapass Games (Steam Tunnel and Agora) and Formula De Mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Cole
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked out that Numbers League? It also is supposed to have an expansion for division and fractions I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Stewart
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Teachers - games that use math skills, for gr. 5 student
I had one growing up called 24 Game. It's a good game for practicing addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and there's three levels of difficulty to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb Adams
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yahtzee has an excellent probability background. Suppose you need Full House and you have 3-of-a-kind on the 1st roll. Should you roll both dice, hoping for a pair, or just one, hoping to match the other? Does it matter? Good intro to combinatorics as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several off the top of my head:

Can't Stop: addition and knowledge of probability

Kingdoms: lots of multiplication and addition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hunt
United States
Bellingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Sackson's game Bazaar (not to be confused with Basari) is an excellent game that can be played by quite young children, but it's challenging for adults as well.

The game is basically a closed algebraic system; the objective is to acquire certain combinations of colored tokens ("wares") by making trades. The trades are achieved by using any of ten equations - trade a red and two blues for a yellow, or vice versa, for example. Achieving a combination is most desirable when you can have the fewest wares left over.

It's a sneaky way to teach algebra, I think . . .

Walter
hotc on BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darlene Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things I've used (older kids, but still needing math lessons) is dominoes and Racko (my husband hates this game). Each of them have basic numbers involved and can be played at several levels. Dominoes can be played where instead of having to match the number (i.e. a 6 on a 6), you have to play the last digit of the sum or the multiple, etc. This works really well because if you play something wrong the other kids will catch it instantly. This means that all the kids are doing the math in their heads, not just the ones putting the piece down. For Racko, instead of just going for putting them in order, you can have each person have to meet a certain condition. For example, one person can only use multiples of 3 while another has to have multiples of 4. I've combined 2 decks of cards to use this way if you have several kids playing to make sure that there are enough options available to them.

There are also several tile and puzzle games out there, but a lot of kids don't like them.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 24 Game does not merely use addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, it is also leveled for use of fractions, square roots, variables, polynomial equations, etc.

The makers, Suntek, also have an edition called Jumping Levels. In this kit players track their progress through progressively more difficult grade level math standards around Number Sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the oldie but goodie Cribbage?

A good two player game that works on thinking more than math skills is Quoridor (not sure of the spelling). I teach 8th grade and during study hall my students always seem to want to play that or Set.

Oh. How about Set? This is a good game for math... Tricky at first, but good for learning how to group items based on characteristics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take It Easy requires spatial relations for placement & multiplication for scoring. A bonus is that it scales well from 1 to whatever. With a couple of sets you could have the entire class engaged (like Bingo), then have another student score each board.

Lost Cities requires a ridiculous amount of arithmetic for scoring. In fact, many games require arithmetic for scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jatang wrote:
Take It Easy requires spatial relations for placement & multiplication for scoring. A bonus is that it scales well from 1 to whatever. With a couple of sets you could have the entire class engaged (like Bingo), then have another student score each board.

Take It Easy is a great one but unfortunately I think it's out of print. There is another version called Take it to the Limit!. That one is available but I think it is an import only and is only available from FunAgain for the ridiculous price of $60!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Cookson
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
Diamant/Incan Gold is a quick and fast game that requires students to quickly work out divisions and remainders. As well as addition for final score.

Used this in the classroom - kids really enjoyed it.

Cooky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:
Several off the top of my head:

Can't Stop: addition and knowledge of probability

Kingdoms: lots of multiplication and addition

Two outstanding choices!

Allow me to add:

Lost Cities (for 2 players)

Basari

Winner's Circle

6 Nimmt (Category 5)

Money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry for being slightly off-topic here, but maybe it helps:
back in 5th grade our teacher had us play a print&play version of Road Rush. Unfortunately this only happened once- great fun though and good for training logical skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.