Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuliyan Kalaydzhiev
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when I decide to move e.g. from 1st to 2nd position (in a 4-player game). That would push all other Initiative tokens down and the 4th player will land outside of the track. What happens to that token?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
You do not "move" the token in that way. If you go from first to second, then whoever was second would be first. If you go from first to third, then whoever was second is now first, and whoever was third is now second. And so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuliyan Kalaydzhiev
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

This is not what the rules state though. Tokens left of the changed token do not move. All others are pushed RIGHT to make space for the changed token. What you suggest would push the token from the second place LEFT to first position. (I do believe that your interpretation is correct but the rules are formulated wrongly) or do I misread the rules completely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are slightly mis-reading the rules. The rules don't state an example of sliding backwards on the order track. Obviously if you go from 1st to 4th, all other players move up one spot to accommodate your new 4th position.

The example should have been written better in the rule book, as the statement about tokens "to the left of" can seem confusing as it is very obvious they would not move. That part of the sentence should have been left out to avoid confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuliyan Kalaydzhiev
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul, I am completely fine with the rule about the tokens on the left not moving. This is also completely true in any case. The rulebook states though: "Other players' Initiative tokens are pushed RIGHT to make space for the changed token". Or does "RIGHT" mean "correctly"/"accordingly" in this case, and not "to the RIGHT"? Because in the case I go backwards on Initiative track, I am clearly pushing some tokens to the right, but also to the left.

I haven't had the time to Check out the general concensus here, but seeing 128 (now 129) rule clarification threads, leads me to believe I am not the only one Findung the rules poorly written.

To top all off, the game got a 200ml Glass of water spilled over it mid-game, destroying many of the cardboard chits... wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yulian --

Here are a few Update Initiative examples.

Example 1: Order is

Pilgrim -> Machine -> Human -> Trog

Trogs Update Initiative to go first. New order is:

Trog -> Pilgrim -> Machine -> Human

Example 2: Order is

Humans Update Initiative to go last. New order is:

Pilgrim -> Machine -> Trog -> Human

Example 3: Order is

Pilgrims Update Initiative to go third. This isn't likely, but we're doing examples. New order is:

Machine -> Human -> Pilgrim -> Trog

The rule is essentially: The player updating their initiative puts their token in the new space.

If you place in space 1? Everyone else moves down relative to their current position.

If you place in space 2? Don't move 1, unless you were 1, then move 2 to 1. Move the others down in their same relative order.

If you place in space 3? If you're in 1 or 2, move 3 and 4 up until they fill in the space in their relative order. Move whoever is left to 4.

If this is easier: Or to put it another way. First, declare the space to which you wish to move. Then, remove your token. Then, vacate the space you want to move to. If you vacated a space earlier, push tokens up. If you vacated a later space, push tokens down. Now, place your token.

This is meant to be very simple. As you can see it's a difficult rule to write to paper, but the intent is dead simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuliyan Kalaydzhiev
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for jumping in, Grant, this is awesome! Yep, we played the rule as you described it, but had a hard time finding that in the rules. Strangely, found no other thread about it in the forums - must be only us, nitwits overcomplicating the interpretation

I hole I can salvage the game for another spin. Looked great so far!

Edit: manualcorrecting autocorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGOrion wrote:
Thanks for jumping in, Grant, this is awesome! Yep, we played the rule as you described it, but had a hard time finding that in the rules. Strangely, found no other thread about it in the forums - must be only us, nitwits overcomplicating the interpretation

I hole I can salvage the game for another spin. Looked great so far!

Edit: manualcorrecting autocorrect.

Generally, in this game and all -- approach the simplest interpretation. It is usually a designer's intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.