Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
– The Rift by Brian Compter | Main Category | 2-4 Players | 60 Minutes

– Overview of the Game -
Trapped in a desolate and bleak world of chaos and terror, you must lead your settlement to fight against the horrors of The Rift to survive. Gather resources, forge tools, and craft settlement upgrades as you compete against rival groups. Only the strongest will survive the Rift.

– List of Components -
* Game Board
* 8 Survivors per Player
* 4 Player Boards
* 64 Tool Tiles
* 24 Settlement Tiles
* 80 Resource Crystals (20 x Black, 20 x Red, 20 x Blue, 20 x Orange)
* Resource Supply Bag
* Day / Night Indicator

– Picture/s proof of concept -

– Link for game rules and files -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DP4ZDM7vuYsq0f37xvklxjr7...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8LkUM5ovnvaZ185aTZF...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] The Rift (ThunderGryph Contest 2017)
So here we go. Another game contest and a new and more open schedule for me. I think this will be one of a few new game designs I'll be attempting over the next year. I'm feeling excited for this one as the reference art inspired me right from the very beginning.

Using the reference art for a starting point I am leaning towards a dark and foreboding alternate reality of sorts where each player leads a group of survivors trying to survive. How did we get here? Who cares! The point is to survive now.

I've always wanted to do a Tzolk'in inspired worker placement mechanic and I have a few ideas to spice things up. The basic premise is that on your turn you must either place workers to the board OR remove workers from the board. Can't do both, but must to one. You would only get the benefit of an action space when you remove workers, and the number of workers removed will dictate how powerful the action will be.

So how can we spice things up? I'd like to add a nightfall tracker. Every time anyone removes workers from the board, increment this counter. When it rolls over, nightfall occurs and terrors and abominations accost any workers who are outside their settlement. Upright meeples will be placed face down and any previously facedown meeples will be removed to some form of penalty box that could be released using other workers.

Gather resources. Secure Victory Points. Survive the Rift.

That's the nutshell version as far as I have worked out. I'll start messing around with rules and quick and dirty prototypes quickly. More to come later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds exciting! The best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first draft of the rules available for comment now. I have also started working on my quick and dirty first prototype. Now I don't have all of the components I need but I have enough to space things out. I was hopeful that this may of been a game I could fit on a TGC accordion board but alas, space quickly got eaten up by the critical elements.

So I am left with either doing the Quad fold game board or doing something like I did with Dysplacement and use a collection of Domino mats. I may do the later, at least in the interim, due to the benefit of being cheaper and easier to prototype with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did a solo playtest last night and it went well. I liked the primary worker management mechanics. I'm not 100% sure how long turns should end up being. I used an epoch count of 10 which seemed to be ok, but would have been an awfully short game if only playing 7 turns.

However, the overall gameplay did seem flat. I need a better selection of action spaces and probably some alternate methods of securing victory points.

So far so good. Still a lot of work ahead to bring it all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trouble on the Horizon

I wish I could say things are going well. But they are not.

The game is in a constant state of flux. I am throwing out ideas about as fast as I can design them at this point. I just have not been happy with the way the game as a whole is playing out and all my additions and changes up to now have felt tacked on.

It is very frustrating because I LOVE the primary worker placement mechanic and the variable turn length that comes with it. Just everything else seems far too linear. Step 1) Get resources. Step 2) Trade resources for VP. That is no way to make a game worth playing.

Looking for Inspiration

Lately I have been trying to analyze game I enjoy and trying to figure out the why. Why do I find them better than the rest?

I have some new tweaks I will be working on. I still have time, but I should be further along than I am now.

Below is a recent prototype which will certainly not resemble the final product in any way. Just a snapshot of the evolution of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The theme of this game is set. That is the one thing that is absolutely certain in my mind. The sample art provided by the contest sponsor really inspired me. Players take on the role of competing tribes of survivors thrown into a macabre alternate dimension where the length of a day is variable and the land itself comes alive at night to terrorize anyone left outside the safety of their settlement.

Survival is the name of the game. Victory points will determine the winner.

So then, how do we measure survival?

Population? Tools? Shelter? Medicine? Settlement Upgrades?

I am set on the game being a worker placement game, where workers are placed but only activate an action space when they are taken off the board. Taking off workers advances the Epoch counter which marches towards nightfall when those caught outside settlement walls will be accosted by the terrors that come to life at dusk. However, those who survive the night will gain an advantage at the beginning of the next day since they are already in position to use of new resources/items/upgrades that spawn at dawn.

Forge weapons the protect yourself. Rescue additional workers from the Rift. Build up your settlement and become the best band of survivors.

I’ve tried fitting a variety of action spaces into the game up to now. But I am left yearning for something better. Something newer and while not entirely innovative, .

I enjoy games with obvious strategies with non-obvious routes. Finding the unique and most efficient path to victory should carry the day. I want something like that for this game.

Need to really start turning the crank on new ideas to bring this home. Two months to go. Do or die time. Hopefully this design survives…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few ideas for the game that are coalescing. I got this iteration in front of my chief muse, and she gave it a tentative “meh”. On a brighter note, she did say that she would like to see a more polished prototype.

Here is a rundown of the main mechanics of the current iteration.

- Resources (crystals) are distributed across the entire board.
- Placing workers (survivors) allows you to take crystals from the board.
- Remove survivors and pay crystals to gain Tools. Also advance the nightfall tracker.
- Tools are placed in your Settlement (a 4x4 grid) which provide gameplay bonuses (engine building) and victory points during Nightfall (completed runes using adjacent Tools and Settlements)
- Tools may then be sacrificed to craft Settlement tiles which provide end game VP bonuses. And also may be matched with runes to provide additional VP during night.

What I currently like is that each action can have a lot of impacts. You may be placing a Survivor to gain that Crystal you need, to setup a Tool purchase, to chain into a Settlement tile, which may fit nicely into your Settlement (Runes).

I am also thinking of other additions that may or may not fit. Location Tool affinity. Cairn stones.

However, I am concerned with pacing of the game along with the costs for Tools and Settlements.

A lot to think about and a lot of work to do.

In order to make this happen, I am looking at a soft deadline for myself to finish this game as far as mechanics by the end of the month. That will give me time to buy a good looking prototype from TGC and give it some major test time prior to the contest end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An update from Thundergryph! The contest has been extended to the end of May.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1666082/survival-thundergry...

This is really good news for a few reasons. Number one it gives me more time since I know I am behind where I should be for my entry. Secondly, the end of this contest now dovetails nicely with the TGC Bog Box contest which I also plan to enter.

That means I can make one larger purchase around the beginning of May to accommodate a bunch of (hopefully) final prototypes.

Great news! I'm looking forward to the extra time to iron out all the details!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve gotten a few more playtests done and problems remain. I may be narrowing in on the goal but I can’t be sure.

One thing that I know for sure is that the game as it stands is far too slow. I mocked out a 4 player game and after two Nightfalls, only two players had a single tool. I need to find a way to ramp the game faster. I should be getting to the meaningful decisions earlier rather than repetitive building up.

Good news is that I have a design group meeting tonight so I am hopeful that I will receive some helpful feedback.

One current thought I have is to eliminate the cost for tools and move them to the settlement tiles. That way, tools are gained faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool! Good luck! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Sounds cool! Good luck! :)

Thanks a lot! I'm doing my best to make this a reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dead Man's Doubloons
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrapyardarmory wrote:
Trouble on the Horizon

I wish I could say things are going well. But they are not.

The game is in a constant state of flux. I am throwing out ideas about as fast as I can design them at this point. I just have not been happy with the way the game as a whole is playing out and all my additions and changes up to now have felt tacked on.

It is very frustrating because I LOVE the primary worker placement mechanic and the variable turn length that comes with it. Just everything else seems far too linear. Step 1) Get resources. Step 2) Trade resources for VP. That is no way to make a game worth playing.

Looking for Inspiration

Lately I have been trying to analyze game I enjoy and trying to figure out the why. Why do I find them better than the rest?

I have some new tweaks I will be working on. I still have time, but I should be further along than I am now.

Below is a recent prototype which will certainly not resemble the final product in any way. Just a snapshot of the evolution of the game.

Good introspection in there, but keep at it! You have a solid core you love... try everything in the world to spin around that, rip em up, add more, throw them out, tweak, destroy, etc.etc. - eventually you'll find that next layer of awesome!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a small game design meetup this week and got some fantastic feedback on the game. The other designers really forced me to lay the game on the line, warts and all, and thanks to their perseverance and some on-the-fly adjustments, we pushed ourselves through a full complete game play.

It was painful at times but shed a bright spotlight on what was good and what was bad about the design.

The best news is that both of the designers did not feel as pessimistic about the game as I seemed to be. I spent a good amount of time during setup talking down on the game and all the difficulties I’ve had up to this point.

Here is a raw list of all the notes I made during the game. (brace yourself!)

* Colors for tools may help to quickly identify the state of a players turn
* Multiple recommendations to trim the number of different tool types, looking at you Maps.
* Survivors were WAY too cheap. Far too easy to obtain.
* There has some hesitation about the state of meeples, ready vs wounded. There was confusion by one player when moving meeples between the board and the settlement. I feel like this could be mitigated by tokens instead of meeples?
* More consistency in tool actions as far as how they activate may help streamline the game.
* Harvest tool seems clunky, hard to track
* Nobody retriggered meeple/medicine tools the entire game
* Crystals should matter more somehow
* Is there a way to add a feed your people element to each nightfall?
* Possible idea to add a deck of incoming monsters that affect the turn somehow (something like what is done in Kingsburg perhaps?)

I have a lot to absorb here. But I feel for the first time in awhile that I feel good about the way the game is shaping up. There will be some major revisions over the weekend and hopefully some new playtests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dead Man's Doubloons
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a revised prototype to the table for a full game. Two players, time to play 60 minutes.
P1, 44
P2, 39

A good solid play test. I think this is the first time I’ve made it through a game without having to make a mid-game rules adjustment. There are still plenty of rough edges though. Feedback was actually quite positive. I’m not sure it has the right amount of tension or strategic balance but It is one it’s way.

This game featured a number of changes, additions, and subtractions from the last version.
* Added Explore tokens and Cairn stones (provides boost to survivors and end game VP)
* End of game changed to turn limit to a triggered event when the first player fills their settlement
* Day / Night length tweaked
* Tool affinity removed, replaced by crystal affinity (used to optionally reduce the cost of performing actions)
* Settlement tiles revamped, crafting them costs only one tool but multiple gems.
* Overhauled how new survivors are gained, as well as how healing works. Added fountain location for healing.

Here are my notes from the test.
* Remove explore tokens, they are actually useless. Keep the cairn stones though. Possibly increase the amount of VP that can be gained from them.
* Shave off a few boxes from the Nightfall tracker. Turn was a bit too long and did not capture the right amount of tension the game should have.
* Remove crystals from the Fountain location. This should be a penalty box of sorts, and it does not live up to its task when you essentially get free stuff in addition to the heals it provides.
* The number of cairn stone slots needs to depend on the player count. It was trivial to deploy all of them, and we never fought over control of them.
* There should probably be a limit to the number of crystals you can hold. Probably 10.
* Possibly have a fixed number of settlement tiles available that never refill.

One of the things I’ve held off on was the earlier recommendation of reducing the number of tools. First option on the cutting block is the harvest tool. As it stands this one seems possibly superfluous and certainly non-intuitive. I think we both accidentally cheated on this during the test game. This will probably cause a speedup in the game, but hopefully I can counter that with the reduction in the cairn stone locations.

There is a lot of work left to do but I am excited by the possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game completed after some much needed cuts and edits. Two players, 45 minutes.
P1, 43
P2, 42

A very close game!

Gameplay felt very good. It seemed like a good balance between the various objectives.

We've determined that wounded survivors should not be able to be protected outside settlements.

The Medicine tool did not feel correct so we have made a tweak to adjust the way it will play in future games.

One thing that did feel right was the mix of Cairn Stone locations and the dropping of the harvest tool.

Nobody missed the harvest tool and the gameplay felt a lot more natural without it.

Cairn Stones become an important and meaningful mini-objective in the game that caused some on the fly adjustments by both players. The end of the game came down to a Cairn Stone related decision to pop the last nightfall and force the end of the game rather than cede points to a superior survivor position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dead Man's Doubloons
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like great progress - looking forward to seeing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrapyardarmory wrote:
Hicitup wrote:
Sounds cool! Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I'm doing my best to make this a reality.

You're doing a good job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Playtests

A few more playtests are complete and I feel I am closing in on the final rules. There has been a bit of flux over the balance of certain tools. That said most games are scoring quite close despite the use of a few different strategies.

Below is a sample of current/past issues.
* Medicine and Spears did about the same thing. (changed how medicine worked to differentiate it)
* Cairn stone order needed to be clearly defined to avoid logical loops.
* The game can feel actually somewhat short. I’ve had a two player game last only 30 minutes when one player employed a rush strategy. Last three player game was barely an hour with rule explanation included. (this may be a good thing)
* A feeling of a lack of player interaction. (may not be a bad thing)
* The mechanics and the weight of the game may not do enough to convey the theme of the game.
* Current dominant strategy involves rushing to accumulate workers and then carefully shuffling them on and off the board so you always having productive turns despite the downside of injured workers. (a few attempts have been made to bring down the power of more workers. The nightfall downside still feels a bit underwhelming)
* Cairn stone values led to some possible kingmaking events due to the uneven weighting of their VPs. (Changed to flat VP values)

A Diversion

Along the way I had a disturbing idea that would possibly disrupt the game entirely.

What if… The survivors were not owned by any one player? The placing and taking of workers could be to/from any player. The point of the game then would be to optimize your choices knowing full well that decisions you make can and will help your opponents. By placing workers you will be setting up larger gains for others, while making the best use of what your opponents leave to you.

I’ve done some research here on BGG for games with a similar bent and watched a number of game playthroughs to examine the concept.

This idea would of course, completely change the game. I dare to think it would make it more interesting and unique. When you have to worry about how your actions will benefit the others at the table, you will have to make interesting decisions to stay ahead of the game.

I couldn’t let this idea alone so I went ahead and prototyped up a set of rules and revised boards to test it out internally. After playing through maybe ⅓ of the game, we concluded that while the idea had merit, it took something away from the game. The game was better before, so I scrapped the idea. Perhaps I’ll devise a game later on that would be a better fit of such mechanics.

Components

As I creep closer to the final rendition of the game, I am starting to get component types finalized.

The game board will be a quad fold board. I’ve never done one of those, so that should be fun. I plan on making full use of all the room it provides.

Tools will be 1”x1” Large Square Chits. My prototype ones are just a tad bigger, but the benefit of fitting into standard TGC component sizes will be worth it. I was prepared to make a custom punchout for the game but would rather not.

To match the size of the Tools, the Settlement Tiles will by 2” x 1” Domino Chits.

Cairn Stones will be the ever familiar Medium Circle Chits at ¾” x ¾”

For player boards, I have been using 8.5x11 paper for my prototype, but will shrink things down to an 8x8 Square Mat.

That leaves the non-printed components. I have two competing goals here. First is to avoid player confusion over colors, by using different colors for the meeples and the crystals. Second, I’d rather not be a jerk to color blind players.

With that in mind, I’ll do orange, purple, white, and green for meeples. Crystals will be Black, red, blue, and some other color. Maybe clear. I’ll need to compare a few of the other options to see if I can find a best option.

Artwork
I am not planning on putting in the time to make dynamite graphics for this game since it is going straight to a publisher. As such I’ll be sticking to basic gradients and some mild textures while relying on good graphic design to convey the game rules effectively. See below for a few in progress pieces I may be using. Nothing final yet... (sticking with the blue/black theme from the suggested artwork)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules

I've updated the rules to the current version in playtesting. I am open to any and all critiques. I'm sure that I am not yet final on anything but would love to hear any opinions on how I organized it all.

The rules comes in at 6 pages but I can explain the game in less than 5 minutes when I test with new players.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DP4ZDM7vuYsq0f37xvklxjr7...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for everyone who has been giving comments on the rules. I will be working on the document alongside refining the gameplay experience through additional playtesting.

On that note, the game is coming along nicely. There are a few things I want to try to reign in the power of clever meeple rotation strategies. Nighttime has to be just a bit more dreadful.

A few other tweaks to increase player interaction will also see the table this week. I want to see if I can toe the line between encouraging interaction and making everyone at the table hate each other.

During odd hours when playtesting is not possible, I've been keeping this dev log updated and also working on some simple but (hopefully) effective art for the game. Below is an updated Tool tile look. I have yet to put the Runes in, which explains why there seems to be a bit too much empty space surrounding the icons. I plan on adding those using Squib so I can automate the final file generation (as squib does so well).

Figuring out the number of unique rotation agnostic combinations of three colors across four edges of a square was good fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought my latest iteration to work for a lunch time playtest yesterday. The only change in place was a small modification to how survivors were removed from The Portal location. That is now limited to the number of Medicine Tools a player has, making it similar in function to the Fountain location minus the healing benefit.

Play time was 1 hour 10 minutes. Scores were as follows. 58, 45, 41, 41

This was actually my first complete four player game and it went very well. Glowing praise from all participants. The winning strategy was an adaptation of max survivors and careful shuffling between nightfalls.

To be more fair, the winner (I was tied for last) was the one at the table that spent the most time counting meeples on the board and comparing it to time remaining. Objectively, he deserved the win.

My own strategy revolved around a quick first Torch followed by big Spear. But to be honest I really stunk it up. For someone trying to maximize the use of Spear tools, I spent an awful lot of time getting caught INSIDE my settlement at nightfall. Poor showing for sure.

All that considered, I feel really good about the game. The timing and flow of the game feels great. I can't think of anything I'd like to change. For the time being, I'll continue to playtest with whoever I can while getting my TGC game assets ready for an order.

I'm watching the estimated ship date very closely, since I'd like to possibly combine this game with my TGC Bog Box contest entry.

I also did a bit of work on the Tools art and added the Runes. Next up will be settlement tiles, player boards, and the finally the game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dead Man's Doubloons
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it great when you start coming out of playtest sessions with small tweaks only - congrats on getting it to the finish line!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Near final player board.

Working on the Game Board last. Rules are still open to review. I may make some organizational changes next week but things are in good shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.