Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fiance and I just broke out the game and wanted to give it a test drive before putting it before a larger group. We played through with just us following the standard rules, discussed it a bit, then came up with what we thought would be some great tweaks for two players.

Played another game with our changes and it went great. I'm sure a few more tweaks could be done, so suggestions are welcome.

Start on the starting spots on the bottom left and middle right. Each player starts with 8 resources, as in a 3 player game. Game plays as normal with the following exceptions:

1. Only fill 4 of the 5 auction areas.

2. Always play with the intense auction variant. This is necessary if you want any actual interaction in the auction phase.

3. After the auction phase each player picks one of the 4 auction areas, discards all of the tokens and refills. The auction area will get very stale otherwise.

4. Trade phase changes up a bit. While trade between players may happen very rarely most turns it won't result in anything. We created a 'trade bank' of 6 tokens at the beginning of the game. During the trade phase the players can trade any 2 of their tokens for a token from the trade bank. Player 1 will have the advantage of taking his pick of the goods, but Player 2 will have the advantage of being able to pick up the goods Player 1 exchanged. At the end of the trade phase all of the goods in the trade bank are turned face down and shuffled, and all but 4 are discarded. The 4 are turned face up and 2 new goods are drawn from the bag. Anything other than actual goods are returned to the bag and redrawn (ie: wild cards, medal tokens, etc).

And that's it. Otherwise things play normally and work great.

Again, any suggestions welcome, but things were very close and all of the changes we made seemed to fit very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Thompson
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played with this variant. Went pretty well in my experience however I have not had the chance to play with more than two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sullivan
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question. Why did you choose the starting positions that you chose. It seems to me that the two short ends would be better because it would spread the emperor, senators etc more evenly between the two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you make the auctions work with 2 players? Do you each just choose one set per round (total of 2 auctions), or does the "auctioneer" stay the same until they win an auction and then it changes (2+ auctions)? Or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Thompson
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
How do you make the auctions work with 2 players? Do you each just choose one set per round (total of 2 auctions), or does the "auctioneer" stay the same until they win an auction and then it changes (2+ auctions)? Or something else?

The auctioneer stays the same until he/she wins or passes. Lots are refilled. The other player becomes the auctioneer until he/she wins or passes. Multiple lots can be taken by either player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good two player variation that doesn't modify the rules too much or lose the feel of the game. Played this variation earlier today with my cousin, and we both enjoyed it. I have to say though, this game is at its best when played with as many players as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John L
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this is a solid variant.

One question, if the author is still paying attention:

In the trade-with-bank phase, can a player make multiple 2-for-1 trades or just one?

Also, a comment: I think we're going to try it again with each player starting with a loge, and the ability to buy another for two additional nobles rolls. The nobles just don't make it around the track fast enough.

Cheers and thanks,
JL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We like these variant rules. However, the starting positions as listed favor the person on the lower left. As always if a player moves nobles away out of his opponents colleseum he moves them closer to his own. However, in this setup, the lower left colleseum has much less ground to cover to get the nobles into his colleseum.

We play with the starting spots on opposite ends (the short ends). This seems to even things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great 2-player variant. I mainly play two player games, and had not been able to play colosseum for a very long time, until I found your variant. It plays wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Oshio wrote:

1. Only fill 4 of the 5 auction areas.

2. Always play with the intense auction variant. This is necessary if you want any actual interaction in the auction phase.

3. After the auction phase each player picks one of the 4 auction areas, discards all of the tokens and refills. The auction area will get very stale otherwise.

4. Trade phase changes up a bit. While trade between players may happen very rarely most turns it won't result in anything. We created a 'trade bank' of 6 tokens at the beginning of the game. During the trade phase the players can trade any 2 of their tokens for a token from the trade bank. Player 1 will have the advantage of taking his pick of the goods, but Player 2 will have the advantage of being able to pick up the goods Player 1 exchanged. At the end of the trade phase all of the goods in the trade bank are turned face down and shuffled, and all but 4 are discarded. The 4 are turned face up and 2 new goods are drawn from the bag. Anything other than actual goods are returned to the bag and redrawn (ie: wild cards, medal tokens, etc).

We played this variant tonight. It made the game recommendable with 2 players, though probably not by a lot. Five players is certainly much more fun.

Here are the changes we made:

5. Traveling shows! Use the colosseum positions for 4 players. In round 1, you produce an event in your first location, in round two, your next event is in your second location (on the opposite side of the board), etc. This is *not* playing as two different players... when you expand your colosseum, pay just once but expand both. (Basically it's as if you had two identical colosseums.) Your loge, season tickets and podiums switch colosseums as you alternate locations each round. This makes moving the emperor, consuls and senators much more interesting!

6. We never really saw much of a need to discard markets. Skipped that step with no real market staleness... all the markets rotated at least once.

Next time we play, we intend to do the following:

7. Fill all 5 auction areas. (We felt you should have more choice. With 5 players, each time you initiate your first auction, you have 5 markets to choose from. Two players should be the same.)

8. Just to clarify... we allow trading with the pool (2 to 1) any number of times.

* - Regarding the dual-colosseums, we had one player use red and orange, since those colors are so close anyway. The other player was blue/green. We used the extra wooden markers to show which of each player's colosseums would be hosting the next event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this variant make the game viable as a two-player only game? Wish TMG would have came up with something official for their version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.