Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
How would it compare for example to something like Advanced Squad Leader?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much simpler. I'd say it's simpler than even the ASL SK. More complex than M44 or Twilight Struggle.

It is all modular so you dont have to add in everything at once. I'd start out with just adding the extra ship components (Support Module) and once you have that down add in the colonization aspects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The individual rules of HF are not that hard to grasp (though it is better to have someone teach you) it is how to tie it all together and then applying the rules to a put together a mission is where the difficulty lies. I personally think Squad Leader is easier in that respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Mote
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Having played both, High Frontier is far easier. ASL is extreme abstraction and rules which are difficult to tie to the pieces on the map. High Frontier has almost all of the data in front of you on the map, player mats and cards. Calculating moves out to several turns in the future ism't trivial but it's not due to overly complicated rules. The hardest part about High Frontier is not being intimidated by the actual science tersely summarized on the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is what you are asking, but I strongly recommend against jumping straight to the advanced version without having played the base game first, no matter how good your group is at absorbing complicated rules on the first play. The base game is excellent and balanced in its own right and you won't have to unlearn anything, the advanced version simply adds new modules. Even if you only intend to ever play the game once, I still recommend the base game. In the time that it takes you to do a full play through of the advanced version from scratch, you can probably fit in the base game followed by the advanced game, which would now go much quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, just fishing for elaborations on the complexity of the Advanced game as opposed to another widely known game I've played instead of just going by the weight rating in the BGG description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game with all possible modules on is very rewarding although it will take a time both to play and to learn. Proceed step by step. Try Support Module first, then all advanced except Endgame, then Endgame. Then Exomigration. Then try Interstellar. After you are familiar with Interstellar, Exploration Module awaits you. After that you can try Simulation. If you are not enough, try also the printable "Visions" variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to assume the Interstellar game does not have faster than light travel, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
I'm going to assume the Interstellar game does not have faster than light travel, right?

Tops out at .15c i think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interstellar games can easily last for 70+ years - one of my first runthroughs started with a highly skilled and efficient crew, who all died off and were replaced by their idiot children, who had no interest or ability in actually flying the spacecraft.

This made slowing down pretty tricky - I think they pointed it at (through) a star and hoped for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
Interstellar games can easily last for 70+ years - one of my first runthroughs started with a highly skilled and efficient crew, who all died off and were replaced by their idiot children, who had no interest or ability in actually flying the spacecraft.

This made slowing down pretty tricky - I think they pointed it at (through) a star and hoped for the best.

LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The complexity of the meta game will be very hard. As a meta game I mean a legacy game chain of:
* Bios Genesis
* Bios Megafauna
* Bios Origins
* High Frontier (with Advanced or even more complex Expert modules)
* Interstellar
But this could reward more than a Pandemic play with similar time spent on all of this as in Pandemic, but you then don't need to garbage your valuable game(s) and wait for season 2 because the replayability of this game chain will be enormous. Can't wait for the new Megafauna and Origins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.