8 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: New challenge - big budget rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
It won't be too long until we have clawed our way through LOTR LCG and our next investment into gaming is looking like X-Wing.

The way we do it is buying bulk for the group so we have all the toys to play with. If you were a gaming group getting into X-Wing and wanted access to most builds and options, what would you buy and how many?

Our budget is pretty big and we do not have a local store so buying online is really our best option. We have done this before and it works well
For us.

Any ideas/help would be much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of everything works pretty well, maybe two of each Core set to have enough templates and damage decks for everyone.

There are some ships you'd like extras of, but most of them work well as singles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eBay should be your first stop. There are always people selling "huge" collections as they move out of the hobby. If you look, you should be able to buy large collections for at least half off retail. If you can't get half off retail you might as well buy new from some of the online retailers.

I needed a medium sized collection of Imperial ships to round out my collection, as I had been buying primarily Rebel. I got an excellent deal on a collection that was in pristine collection, and paid about 35% of retail for the entire thing.

This link may or may not work:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

It's a search for "x-wing miniatures game" and sorted in descending order by purchase price. The bigger sets should come out on the first page. Many of them have a "buy it now" but also a "best offer" option. Do some research, see how much you can get the same packages for new, and then you're ready to be a smart shopper on eBay.

[Edit] I see now that you're in New Zealand, at least that's the indicator on your profile. eBay is not looking like such a good option for you now... sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Might still be ok, however products are taxed on entry into NZ. Good idea though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd start with one of each expansion, except for the epic ships. That will give you a lot of options, especially if you're ok with proxying extra copies of cards whenever you don't have enough.

If you still have budget after that, look at getting duplicates of some of the ships with lower points costs like TIE Fighters, Z-95s, TIE/fo fighters, etc. A second Aggressor (aka IG-2000) is good too, as the ship has a cool title that lets two of them share pilot abilities. It might be a good idea to get a second of each core set at this point too, especially if you want to be able to play multiple games at once. It's really nice for everyone to have their own templates and dice instead of handing them back and forth all the time.

If you still have budget after that, I'd look at the epic ships. I'm not a huge fan of epic play personally, but it can be nice to change things up. The epic ships also have some very nice cards that work with standard play, but you can proxy those if you want to.

One other thing worth considering is printing out the fantastic fan-made Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign (http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/). It costs a bit of money and time to print out the campaign book and the new cards and terrain, but it's worth it. It's a cooperative RPG-style campaign with a lot of varied and interesting scenarios. It's a fun change of pace that lets you try out some cards and combinations that aren't really workable in the standard game, and up to 6 people can play it together with people dropping in and out as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks guys,

We found a good secondhand collection of Star Wars Armada on a trade site in New Zealand so have locked that in instead! That should keep us going through summer and then we might look at doing the same for X-wing when something comes up.

Even though its not X-wing thanks for the idea, probably saved the club 2-3 hundred!

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibs55 wrote:
Thanks guys,

We found a good secondhand collection of Star Wars Armada on a trade site in New Zealand so have locked that in instead! That should keep us going through summer and then we might look at doing the same for X-wing when something comes up.

Even though its not X-wing thanks for the idea, probably saved the club 2-3 hundred!

Regards,

Your "through the summer" comment threw me off there. Then the New Zealand location clicked lol. For X-wing, when you jump in, get core sets for starters, and then look at what kind of ships/ factions each player finds interesting. If no one likes Scum, ignore it for now. But you can see enough online, through reviews and even the X-Wing Wiki about how each ship plays, stats, etc. Should help you decide what to get and how many of each. Are your TIE Interceptors a support ship for your group, or is someone interesting in fielding an entire squad of them, that sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If you really have the budget for it, at least one of everything, including the Epic ships, plus two of:
Each Core Set
Defender
Imperial Veterans
TIE /fo
TIE Interceptor
Shadow Caster
Jumpmaster 5000

And 3 or 4 of:
Aggressor
TIE Fighter
z95
Protectorate Starfighter

There are probably a bunch more you want multiples of but I can't think which offhand.

But yeah, by far the most economical way is to buy up a collection from someone who's getting out of the game on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.