Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well no I don't have one yet but I am thinking of it.

I am running a weekend workshop on leadership skills (decision making, problem solving, team work etc) next month and am wondering if I can create a Fish game with the participants to be the penguins.

PROBLEM - I can't think what to make the 'board' out of. This penguins are the easy bit this time.

I have tossed a few ideas around, but most seem too destructible if people (penguins) are going to be walking on them. Paper and cardboard fell into this category.

Thought of using carpet tiles, but they might be to heavy to pack and cart and could be expensive. Placemats also fell into this category.

Any thoughts for solutions?

Of course you can use the idea too but we need a board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A giant version of Hey That's My Fish (and others) - hel
Coroplast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's outside, just mark off a board with flour. It's biodegradable, and fairly cheap in bulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
Coroplast.

Which is?

Look out Google, here I come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
If it's outside, just mark off a board with flour. It's biodegradable, and fairly cheap in bulk.

Useful for something else I do (we use masking tape for indoors), but for this game I want to be able to lift up and remove the squares (like the ice in Fish).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
tallboy wrote:
dogzard wrote:

Useful for something else I do (we use making tape for indoors), but for this game I want to be able to lift up and remove the squares (like the ice in Fish).

maybe you could find some cheap plywood, thats not heavy and its easy to pick up and pack up.

Only trouble I could see is depending on how much you need transportation might be difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't most hardware stores have rolls of outdoor astroturf type stuff? Maybe just a bunch of doormats and a utility knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Is this going to be a once of thing, or will you do it all the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternate suggestion: Instead of having board pieces that players walk on then remove once they leave, place a board piece to 'block' a hex when a player leaves the hex.

Use tape/paint to outline the board. Have cards/plushies/signs whatever to indicate the fish in each hex. When a player leaves a hex, place something in that hex (a water blue hex tile, maybe use a traffic cone for extra visibility...). Since penguins can't walk through open spaces, whatever you use to block the hexes won't be walked on so it won't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
Don't most hardware stores have rolls of outdoor astroturf type stuff? Maybe just a bunch of doormats and a utility knife.

Ahah - doormats....mmm, might be too big and costly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
Is this going to be a once of thing, or will you do it all the time?

Well if it works I will certainly want to repeat it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
Alternate suggestion: Instead of having board pieces that players walk on then remove once they leave, place a board piece to 'block' a hex when a player leaves the hex.

Hmmm, yes, might work, will need some thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made similar activities (themed hopscotches, etc.) from Bristol Board (a lightweight cardboard) and it held up fine. As long as you're playing on a hard surface (floor, concrete, etc.), you should be fine using cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
I've made similar activities (themed hopscotches, etc.) from Bristol Board (a lightweight cardboard) and it held up fine.

Sounds good, but I am not sure what that is and Google doesn't seem to be helping.

What is it and where would you get it from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
"Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
badge
The ticket to the future is always open.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shower Curtains!!! You can cheeply purchase shower curtains and cut them up into hexes that will fit people on them. It will be easy to spray paint them (if you want fishies, you can make/buy stencils) after you cut them out. They are very light and portable. Your biggest risk will be wind problems. You might want to fill balloons with sand to weight them down while the players play. It's cheaper than wood/thicker plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great idea, so keep on it.

My thought is, do you actually need hex tiles? You need 1, 2, 3 fish markers which the players pick up when they move their penguins. When the fish is picked up, the space is empty (or you could put down a blue marker for water). As long as the markers all sit in a hex grid, do you actually need hex tiles?

So the next problem is making a hex grid! Back to square one...

Of course, whatever solution you reach, you'll want a couple of tables and the real game being played, so folk watching will see they can get it from a store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
As long as the markers all sit in a hex grid, do you actually need hex tiles?

Of course, whatever solution you reach, you'll want a couple of tables and the real game being played, so folk watching will see they can get it from a store.

I think I would like a hex grid and the idea of the bits is to make it portable.

The taking up of the hexes I think is an important visual part of the game and leaving someone stranded would then be very effective.

Not sure I want the game being played on separate tables - when I am running a workshop I want everyone's attention (especially if it is with 15-17 year olds).

But I do take the game, so people can see what I have based it on. I did Incan Gold a couple of weeks ago - see session report http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/167474

I know this sold several games and I now have ten previous non gamers coming over in a couple of weeks to 'see what else I have got'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that, roughly, a hex grid is made from a series of connected Y shapes, that might be a quick way of making it. If you had some form of rigid rods or laths that you could make into portable Ys, then connect the Ys at the location, you might be able to make it fairly easily.

Any, that's my tuppen'th.

Yeah, I was forgetting you're looking a workshop, I was thinking more in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One option, if you have a good floor surface and lots of prep time before the activity, is to cut a few hex templates from cardboard (one for each of your helpers) and use them to help you layout a hex grid on to the floor out of tape. Then you can place your "fish" markers into each hex that players can pick up as they go. The fish can of course be substituted with whatever you like.

This solution isn't nearly as visual as removable hexes. If it were me, I'd go to an office supply store and buy up their stock of bristol board/presentation board and cut out the hexes.

I do like the coroplast idea, but I think it's too permanent and expensive for what you intend, unless it is something you intend to do regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Derksen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we did a people-sized version of Devil Bunny Needs a Ham, we used making tape on vinyl tablecloth rolls for the board. It's a bit to lay out originally, but then it just rolls up for tranport and storage.

Alternatively, you could also mark it out on broadcloth.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkwd wrote:
When we did a people-sized version of Devil Bunny Needs a Ham, we used making tape on vinyl tablecloth rolls for the board. It's a bit to lay out originally, but then it just rolls up for tranport and storage.

Alternatively, you could also mark it out on broadcloth.

David

David, could you tell me more about this one please?

Email me if you like.

Warren

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main problem I see with this project is that there are A LOT of ice flows (squares) in Hey That's My Fish. This means a lot to cart around, and a fairly long set up time. Still, I think it's a great idea, but you'll want to use material that's a light as possible.

I would probably go with felt. You can buy it cheap in bulk, cut it to the sizes you want, and it will be fairly light weight even with all those squares. You could also use paper (if you're indoors, otherwise it would blow away) but felt would feel nicer on the feet. Maybe have a socks only rule so the felt/paper pieces don't get all dirty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
The main problem I see with this project is that there are A LOT of ice flows (squares) in Hey That's My Fish. This means a lot to cart around, and a fairly long set up time.

Felt, another good idea - I'll check it out.

I think there is about 60 hexes and they have to only be put out in lines with some 'fish' thrown on top so I am hoping the set up won't take too long (plus I'll have a crowd to help set up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calm Fluffy Bunnies
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, our objectives were a bit different, but we found that frisbees made good ice flows and supported between 1 and 3 shot glasses very well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FUNNY!

Good idea though, frisbees...might have access to 50+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.