Subject: Tips for ebay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stanton Moon
United States
Thayne
Wyoming
flag msg tools
So I'm guessing there are lots of people that sell games on here, I'm going on a bicycle tour and need to sell things for money. Right now, for the first 10 auctions, I'm only selling video games but I think it would be the same as BGs. I have games ranging form $750 (Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask Collectors Edition sealed in box, mint condition, although one sold for $999.95 last month but in the last 5 months none of the others in the same condition sold for over $200) down to $30.

So this is my first 10 auctions, I have another 10 of video games and then I think I'm done with them and moving on to board games. I also have a lot of unopened Star Wars but that is if I don't reach my goal of $5,000 first. Actually SW would go first but I have to dig deeper into storage to get them. Anyway, getting off topic. . .

So any tips for ebay? The Majora's Mask worries me, I don't see how it is possible for one copy to go for $999.95 and the rest to go for less than $200. I lost my ebay account and had to open up a new one so my ratings suck. So any advice would be appreciated. I don't know if I want to go through selling nick nacks to get my ratings up, I want to leave on my bike tour by the end of January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Secrest
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your opening Dibs? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your scared something your trying to sell will not get as much as you were hoping put a reserve on it that your comfortable letting it go at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Get your rating up by selling nick nacks. Many people won't place a bid for hundreds of dollars with a seller with only a few sells.

Post plenty of clear photos - NOT out of focus cell phone shots.

Have the auctions end on Saturdays or Sundays (when more people have the time to watch the auctions, and maybe place a bid wit a minute left). With Ebay on mobile phones, I'm not sure this is as important as it used to be.

For pricing, I usually start with the minimum I'd be willing to sell it for, then add a Buy It Now. I think (but have no proof) that the Buy It Now makes people feel like someone else might steal the item away from them (by using the Buy It Now), which tempts them to Buy It Now. Just a theory.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
For pricing, I usually start with the minimum I'd be willing to sell it for, then add a Buy It Now. I think (but have no proof) that the Buy It Now makes people feel like someone else might steal the item away from them (by using the Buy It Now), which tempts them to Buy It Now. Just a theory.

Almost. I just hate auctions, so I'll take a Buy It Now option instead (within limits, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

The only time I added a Buy It Now to an auction I got a minimum bid almost immediately which removed the BIN option. Since BIN costs money I never used it again though it's likely that I just didn't get the starting price/BIN relationship right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
The problem is that you have things you want to sell, but you apparently want to unload them all within a very tight timeframe (by January) so you are going to be tempted to just start tossing stuff up at prices that are too low. Maximizing profit on eBay is something of a waiting game, you have to be willing to toss up stuff like that Zelda and let it ride until you get the prices you want. Because as we know, there will always be someone willing to shark it up for pennies on the dollar, but that doesn't do you any good.

You've already taken a good first step, which is to research what similar items have sold for recently, but don't get blinded by the one guy who got lucky and sold his for a million zillion dollars and think you're gonna be him too. Because that's when your stuff goes for $13.78

Xmas is typically a good time for selling, but late December can be tricky because a lot of folks are zipping here & there & aren't thinking about eBay auctions. January has fewer eyeballs, but those eyeballs typically have money to spend. But again, you are putting a time limit on your stuff, which is going to limit your max profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exodous wrote:
The Majora's Mask worries me, I don't see how it is possible for one copy to go for $999.95 and the rest to go for less than $200.

As an eBay black belt, I reflexively wonder if those prices are actual completed sales? Or were they only the asking prices? People can ask any price they wish, but assuming that those were completed sales, my conclusion is that *something* was different about those items or those listings. Perhaps they were all BINs and the value really is closer to the top price but the other sellers didn't know that, maybe the higher one was new in shrink and the others were opened (sometimes the disparity on that can be surprising!), and it could even be that the highest selling copy was the only one available at that time and a couple of hard heads got into a bidding war.... but *something* was different about that listing.

As for your copy of Majora's Mask, or any other item, just start it at the lowest price you could let it go for without being upset, or a little above that "just for luck", and be done with worrying about it. Maybe it sells, maybe it even bids up from there, and you can always tweak the price down a little if it doesn't go and doesn't generate much interest, but anytime there is a lowest price you can accept for anything you want to sell, you save a lot of mental and spiritual energy by simply starting the price at something you could accept and moving on without worrying about it or trying to outguess the market.

You should also keep in mind that whether I am buying or selling, if there is a time factor or deadline that is on me and not the other guy, the advantage immediately and automatically flips to the other side -- if I'm trying to sell in a hurry, it becomes a buyer's market; if I'm trying to buy quickly, it becomes a seller's market. There's nothing to be done about that but shrug and adjust prices accordingly. So the conditions are a bit against you for that, and for your lower feedback score, but there's nothing you can do except adjust the factors that are in your control, which are primarily value and service.

Good luck with your endeavor!

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no need to tip on E-Bay.
While I'm a generous tipper in restaurants, hotels and cabs, I don't usually tip an E-Bay seller. If you do choose to give the seller a little bit extra, I would suggest no more than 10%. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.