Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Email notification subject lines currently look like:

Forum Post Notification - Re: New GeekMail Rewrite
Forum Post Notification - Re: Can a beetle start on top?
Updated Games
Updated Games

So it is pretty easy to see which forum post the emails are talking about, which is good... but it's not at all clear which games the emails are talking about unless you open the individual emails.

It would be really useful and helpful and time-saving if the Updated Games subject line included the game title, analogous to how a Forum Post Notification includes the thread title. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'll second this as a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
It would be really useful and helpful and time-saving if the Updated Games subject line included the game title, analogous to how a Forum Post Notification includes the thread title. Thanks.

The Updated Games emails usually include several games in one message, so picking one of them for the subject line would be pretty useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Re: "Updated Games" email: Please include game title in subj
oskari wrote:
russ wrote:

The Updated Games emails usually include several games in one message, so picking one of them for the subject line would be pretty useless.

I admit I hadn't thought of that. However:

1. "Usually"? I just checked my last 12 "Updated Games" emails, and only 2 mentioned more than 1 title.

2. Ok, pretend my post said "It would be really useful and helpful and time-saving if the Updated Games subject line included the game titles".

3. If the list of titles in a particular email is too long to include in the email subject, it would still be pretty useful to at least see "Dungeon Twister, Hive, 2 more" in the title of the rare email that has a lot of titles.

4. If it's too much work to include a list (and truncate a too-long list), then just list the first title of the list (or the title that has the most links). Such information would certainly not be "pretty useless" for me anyway. That would still be quite useful and in fact give complete information 10/12 of the time based on my casual sample.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked my last 12:

10-5-4-2-3-9-2-3-3-3-3-6

And that's in a weekend...

Of course it's no problem to anyone to use any kind of title sequence in the header, but for me I'd say it's useless. I'll check them all anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
Just checked my last 12:

10-5-4-2-3-9-2-3-3-3-3-6

Dude! You're hardcore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nope, just checked all the notify-boxes on the games I own, rated and want. That's 246 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm like BaSL and Oskari, I rarely get under four games in a notify, can be upto twenty.

I probably have 300-400 games checked for notify. Most, if not all, of my collection and then a few special extras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - I had all my owned and wished for games listed as "notify" - that was nearly 1500 games.

Making matters worse, there's only certain things I wanted to be notified on -- variants, files, links, rules questions...

It got to the point where it would take me hours to go through the updated games mail.

So, now I use (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=all) - and filter it the way I want - takes me, easily 10% of the time it used to take me to get through the updated games emails....

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a typical Updated Games entry for me:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/216673 - An image has been added to Seafarers of Catan, The.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/216674 - An image has been added to Seafarers of Catan, The.
An article "Don’t call it an Auction. I hate Auctions.", has been added to Ra: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1531267#1531267
An article "Influence (rule 6.16)", has been added to Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1531287#1531287
An article "Tao of Gaming review", has been added to Phoenicia: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1531369#1531369

I would much prefer using html anchor tags to hide the URL yielding something like:

Image added: Seafarers of Catan, The
Image added: Seafarers of Catan, The
Article for: Ra "Don’t call it an Auction. I hate Auctions."
Article for: Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648 "Influence (rule 6.16)"
Article for: Phoenicia "Tao of Gaming review"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kift
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
So, now I use (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=all) - and filter it the way I want - takes me, easily 10% of the time it used to take me to get through the updated games emails....
Chris

Man, I'm always discovering new things about this site! If only I could subscribe to that as an RSS feed and it would be perfect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm another with maybe 100 games on my notify list. Too few for the full-on "recent additions" technique, but all my updates have multiple games in.

Edit: But one technique is if the update contains only one game you can put it in the title. If it contains multiple games you can put the game with most updates in the title and ad "et al" on the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.