Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: preorder [+] [View All]
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I've never ordered anything from Thoughthammer before and had a question regarding their pre-orders. Do they get pre-ordered games out quickly? How long does it take them to get orders out after a new game ships to distributors? I've completey lost faith in the LGS to get anything on time or restock a game once it's gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had problems with Thoughthammer. Their service is usually very quick and reliable and if you have a preorder, they say they hold everything until the item shows up. Two times this happened to me (once with World of Warcraft the Boardgame and another time with Battlestations: Pax Galacticum.)

On both occasions I was impatient and I placed a second order to get everything else moving. However on both occasions - I received the items when they showed up.

And with every single delivery it's always been through FedEx. So tracking the package was never difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only done one pre-order with Thoughthammer. It was for "Shogun" (Queen games). By the time I recieved it, customers who had pre-ordered from other retailers had already received there copies 2 and 3 weeks earlier, and were already disecting and discussing the game to the tune of about 3 pages worth of threads, before I even got a sniff of the game. Apparently they were low on the distributor's list.

While waiting for the game to be published, the price was raised, through no fault of their own (the price change was discussed extensively here on BGG). BUT...just after recieving the game I recieved an email containing an apology and a $20.00 COUPON toward any game in their catalog. That lead me to purchase "Midgard for about 10 bucks including the shipping. Midgard has been my most played game this year, so my story has a happy ending.

That being said, I've had nothing but great service from Thoughthammer for their IN STOCK items, and will continue to remain a steady, loyal customer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never pre-ordered but all of my experiences with ThoughtHammer have been wonderful. In fact, I just placed another order yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kosec
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, have had several orders "hang" on a pre-ordered game. I've always found them to ship quickly after the game came out. Even on popular preorders like El Grande I got my game sooner than I expected.

You may also want to consider the publishing status of a game itself. If it's out of stock because it's awaiting publishing, you may be in for a long wait. Of course, they have estimates up on their website, but anyone can tell you that the retailers have no control over when the games will come out. It's not even worth contacting them about--you can find out as much here on the 'Geek as you would from a retailer. I'll agree that Thought Hammer has been good about managing unexpected price-increases, and they are MORE than willing to work with you to change an order around if you just can't wait. I've had several preorders "hanging" on a single game, only to change them about for in-stock games and have the order ship immediately.

If a game is in preorder status because it's just out of stock, I've even found their restocking date to be fairly conservative. In more than one circumstance, I've contacted them to check on a restocking date while piecing together an order (BAD customer, BAD!), and they've been more than willing to answer my questions.

I'm sure other people have had similarly wonderful experiences with other online retailers, but unless I need a game I just can't find at Thought Hammer, they've earned all of my business (pre-order and otherwise) through their prompt shipping and excellent customer service.

Good luck with your order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
I had very bad luck with a pre-order from Thoughthammer. So much so that I don't order anything from them at all anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughthammer rocks!

How they handled Shogun won me over (as described above). They have a customer for life in me.

I had a game pre-ordered for a long time that came with a very large order (gotta get that free shipping). I was afraid other games on the order were going to go out of stock. They didn't and I received my whole order when the preordered game was ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have dealt with Thoughthammer for 10+ preorders over the last 2 years and none of them have been delayed to my satisfaction. The communication, packaging, and customer-service are top notch over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Petterson
United States
Gulfport
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I recently pre-ordered Tide of Iron from Thoughthammer online and it was shipped on the release day of the game. My date of pre-order was Early December and that may have an effect on priority of who gets the first wave from the company.
My experience so far has been acceptable in all areas.
Later,
Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered from TH before and I have had no problems. I do have to add that I'm one of those still waiting for my pre-order of Tide of Iron (which is holding up my Wings of War: Miniatures pre-order).

While this situation frustrates me, I don't blame Thoughthammer. It's not their fault that Fantasy Flight Games couldn't produce more of a game so highly demanded. (FWIW, I don't blame FFG either. It's just one of those things that happen in business.)

So Thoughthammer, along with Cardhaus and Boards and Bits, is an e-tailer that I don't hesitate to highly recommend to other gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to consider- "Free Shipping" is nice, but "flat rate shipping" is $8. *AND* TH's prices are 25-35% off retail. So if you gotta have your games and eat your pre-order too, just place your regular order, pre-order seperately, and pay the 8 bucks-you get your other games super-pronto, *and* you'll get your preorder when it comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crockerdile wrote:

While waiting for the game to be published, the price was raised, through no fault of their own (the price change was discussed extensively here on BGG). BUT...just after recieving the game I recieved an email containing an apology and a $20.00 COUPON toward any game in their catalog. That lead me to purchase "Midgard for about 10 bucks including the shipping. Midgard has been my most played game this year, so my story has a happy ending.

A coupon, eh? There's some online retailers that think giving you a 5% discount after they screw something up is a big deal and you should be satisfied with it. Sounds to me like TH is a good retailer and might actually want your return business. 25% off retail and $8 shipping alone is kind of nudging me into ordering.

The game in question that I was thinking about pre ordering was the WWII Wings of War set, not available yet. I think I'll give it a shot even though the responses (BTW thanks for the responses) on the shipping time for pre-orders is a little mixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harkonnen13 wrote:
Ok I've never ordered anything from Thoughthammer before and had a question regarding their pre-orders. Do they get pre-ordered games out quickly? How long does it take them to get orders out after a new game ships to distributors? I've completey lost faith in the LGS to get anything on time or restock a game once it's gone.

I definitely recommend Thought Hammer for ordering games and pre-orders. I've placed a number of large orders with them and always had very good service. As for pre-orders, I've pre-ordered a number of games from them and they have arrived quickly after the game was released, and have been very nice about changing the orders after they were placed and shipping partial orders. For example, I ordered Caylus, Reef Encounter, Carcassonne River 2, El Grande Decennial, Tempus, and Goa in October of 2005. After a few months, Caylus, Reef Encounter, and Carcassonne River 2 were all available, and when I asked them, they agreed to send those 3 to me for free, and would send the remaining three games once those were released. After a few more months, I decided I didn't want Tempus anymore, so I asked them and they agreed to switch it to Taj Mahal and credit me with the price difference. After a few more months, El Grande and Goa became available, but Taj Mahal still wasn't available, so yet again I asked them to remove Taj Mahal from the order and replace it with Hey That's My Fish and YINSH, and they were perfectly willing (and I paid them the couple bucks difference in price), so they sent me El Grande, Goa, Hey That's My Fish, and YINSH, and I did rejoice (and place many more orders/pre-orders with them since then)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like some great servive, Tom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, ThoughtHammer is my favorite online retailer for boardgames. That said, I don't do pre-orders through them because I don't like their pre-order policy. It states that they will charge you immediately then ship the games whenever they come in. I guess it bothers me to be charged for something without them even having it in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They rock, nuff said. There is no better place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no problems with TH, Boulder, or FairPlay games for games! (they have all been good to me!) Now "FedEx"... that's another story!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.