Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Hunters and Gatherers with the Scout mini-expansion. I got the Shaman and the Scout tile, while my opponent got the hunter and the agriculture tile. meeple

I played the scout fairly early (while the extra tiles are quite beneficial it did lock up one of my meeples for the rest of the game - and you only get 5 of them in H&G) it was quite handy such that if I ever didn't want the tile that I picked up it allowed me to choose another one.

Early on in the game I also managed to get the bonus piece that allowed me to have full control of a meadow. Therefore I spent the rest of the game trying to add to it safe in the knowledge that my opponent couldn't cut in on the action!

Partly because I was allowed to reject tiles because I had played the Scout tile I was well ahead for the entire game and basically lapped my opponent before we tallied the points at the end of the game. While I had a big meadow which scored me a lot of points his agriculture tile got him a bucket load of points and I just managed to win at the end. I don't think that the tiles for the mini-expansion are at all balanced (particularly in a 3, 4 or 5 player game) and potentially give one person an advantage of up to 30 or so points. The dug-out seems to be pathetic and at best will only get the recipient about 4 points!yuk It presume other people have this problem?

I don't think I'll be using this expansion very often in the future as essentially someone is potentially getting a 30 point starting advantage over one of their other players! How unbalanced is that!shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing about the Carcassone series is all that balanced. But you are right, the scout is particularly wacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.