L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night with three players. We use the basic corporations. Just have a couple of questions… Is it normal to have so much money every turn? By the end I was pulling in over 40 megacredits a turn. We were all so flush we almost ran out of gold cubes.

Also it seemed to take the temperature forever to rise to the top. It went so slowly and we ended up with so much extra heat on our player boards that we would allow a player to raise it more than one degree per action. The game Did seem to stretch on a bit unnecessarily as we waited for temporary to catch up to air and water.

I'm wondering if we are making some common errors that allowed us to gather an insane amount of unspent cubes on our player boards as resources of money and heat? Also is it normal that the two other global parameters (oxygen and ocean) are much faster to max out than temperature? Or did we also miss some rule that would have made it on par with the other global parameters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you made the common error of thinking that each player gets only one turn (one or two actions) per generation. In fact, each player gets as many turns as they want - you go around the table taking one or two turns, over and over, until everyone passes. So I play one or two actions, then you do, then I do again, and so on until we both pass. THEN we produce and advance to the next generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, really a lot of people make this mistake at first. Actions per generation are limited only by your resources. You can take one or two at a time, but can keep doing so until you run out of things to do. Late in the game, 10 or more is not uncommon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You keep taking actions until everyone passes.

Bob: 2 actions
Tim: 1 action
Me: 1 actions
Bob: 1 actions
Tim: 2 actions
Me: Pass
Bob: 1 action
Me: Out (already passed)
Bob: Pass
Tim: Pass

Round ends: Production Income & Money happens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
A quick look in the forums:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1667605/did-we-break-it
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1661436/first-play-stal...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1667858/generation
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1670806/terraforming-ma...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1658412/2-actions-gener...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1646049/so-many-megacre...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1642571/rule-question-r...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1635987/i-only-used-2-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Multiple turns per generation was the rule we missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:

I guess we weren't the only ones who couldn't understand that rule. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, this same thing can happen if your group (as mine did on our first play) isn't raising the oxygen level when placing greenery tiles, which turns the end of the game into a "circling the drain" situation where the game end conditions take FOREVER and everyone is super built-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Budapest wrote:

Nor take a look in the forums if someone else had the same problem already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Sure, they should have checked to see if someone else had the same problem... but even if they had, most of those threads had titles that wouldn't have jumped out as "the same problem". A couple of the threads have vague titles. A couple talk about actions in a generation, which is the real problem the OP had, but not one he realized he had... so he probably wouldn't have investigated those threads. Only one mentioned having too much money.

So the OP would have been wading through five pages of rules questions, hoping that to see something that might explain a vague sense of unease that he played something wrong, but without understanding what it was that it might have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:
Sure, they should have checked to see if someone else had the same problem... but even if they had, most of those threads had titles that wouldn't have jumped out as "the same problem". A couple of the threads have vague titles. A couple talk about actions in a generation, which is the real problem the OP had, but not one he realized he had... so he probably wouldn't have investigated those threads. Only one mentioned having too much money.

So the OP would have been wading through five pages of rules questions, hoping that to see something that might explain a vague sense of unease that he played something wrong, but without understanding what it was that it might have been.

Indeed.

It seems to me the rule book suffers from Kickstarteritis. Instead of using focus groups, double blind testing, copy editors or other professional means of finalizing the rule book, the author relied on paid fans. Typical of this, the play through example in the book with Kim, Stanley, and Robin did not apply to the the first game someone might play to learn the rules. We just skipped over it since it seemed to explain corporations we would not use until at least our second game. I'm sure the example is great if you already knew how to play but not very helpful for first time players using the "basic corporation". I doubt the author intended to make first time players scour obscure forums of fan websites to learn how the basic rules worked. Hopefully the author will consider consulting communication professionals and test out a clearer rule book for the another release. I honestly think if there were few graphic elements pointed out this oft misunderstood rule and a play through example using the rules intended for the first play, my group would not have gotten such a basic rule of the game so wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Budapest wrote:
Indeed.

It seems to me the rule book suffers from Kickstarteritis. Instead of using focus groups, double blind testing, copy editors or other professional means of finalizing the rule book, the author relied on paid fans.

Is this mere speculation?
The game wasn't even a kickstarter project.

Cheers,
Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
Budapest wrote:
Indeed.

It seems to me the rule book suffers from Kickstarteritis. Instead of using focus groups, double blind testing, copy editors or other professional means of finalizing the rule book, the author relied on paid fans.

Is this mere speculation?
The game wasn't even a kickstarter project.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Yes it was. Maybe the product was rushed to market then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:

Yes it was. Maybe the product was rushed to market then.

It was NOT on kickstarter, and no, it wasn't rushed to the market either, being almost done for production and using the last year to finalize it. But the creators haven't been working full time on the game, it's something they do besides their full time job. As just about everyone and everything, there is always something you will have missed out when you push the button to print, even if you put so much effort into make it perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Thunkd wrote:

This is another example of a great game that's plagued with not so good rules. They really should have said "each player continues taking actions one after another as many times as they wish". not "take one or two actions". that makes things confusion.. It implies players can only take a max of two actions per generation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

This is another example of a great game that's plagued with not so good rules. They really should have said "each player continues taking actions one after another as many times as they wish". not "take one or two actions". that makes things confusion.. It implies players can only take a max of two actions per generation.
Except on your turn, you can do two actions in a row, or simply do one action. It is important in terms of timing because sometimes you'll want to set something up and finish it before someone else can sneak in. Like when you want to trigger a heat increase twice in a row to get the bonus heat production.

So it is actually important to specify that each action phase consists of either one or two actions. They just needed to make it clearer that players csn have multiple action phases in a single round and that they continue taking action phases until they pass for the rest of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.