Subject: Crossbows and Catapults!?!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Greetings again. I recently got my hands on this great nostalgic classic from my youth, and naturally found the original "rules" wanting to say the least. Until I get the time and creative "oomph" to do so, was wondering if anyone had some cool house rules that would make this classic game of destruction a little more interesting to play strategy wise than "knock down tower"?
I was particularly thinking a mod to put the cool miniatures into a more active role in the game- i.e. movement via die roles or in place of firing the crossbow or catapult to further develop the "spy" aspect of the game.
thanks! Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Well if you really want to get back to your youth you could do what we did. After shooting your brothers castle like 15 million times and the springs not popping on his side, get really mad, yell obscenities, then get into a cage match wrestling brawl until you mom comes in and smacks you both silly.

Ahhh, good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Kirkkala
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, Crossbows and Catapults, what a classic! Brings back memories :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
hahahaah!
Thank God my "nostalgia fix" of the month was this plastic piece of nonsense... if my folks had more disposable income back in the day I might have squandered 4 times the amount on a copy of "Dark Tower". luckily I never owned it so don't pine for that lost treasure.
Still, I think C&C has potential for some exciting variations.

Remember the later knockoff called "Weapons and Warriors"? I think it fired red plastic marbles instead orobotf discs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sample
United States
Herndon
VA
flag msg tools
mb
MWChapel wrote:
get really mad, yell obscenities, then get into a cage match wrestling brawl until you mom comes in and smacks you both silly.

Our games went similarly. Eventually we just skipped the game and setup up our own castles... fold out cushiony chairs.
Each of us grabbed the discs and just started whipping them at each other at close range.

It brings a tear to my eye. I should call my brother and see if he's up for a game next time we get together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
From Mr. Chapel's and Mr. Name's posts above, it is clear that brothers everywhere independently developed identical house rules. First, you sort of play by the rules, then you use the game to inflict bodily and psychic injury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C.
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I made a set of action cards that you draw once per turn, granting special rules and events. Things like "you may take an extra shot with your crossbow this turn", or "any castle bricks that are hit this turn are removed from the battlefield". A mix of strategic bits and wackiness. You could, of course, introduce hand-management or a deck-building element using them.

I really must get them typed up into a file and add them to the page for the game soon - stay tuned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
That would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I had a set of house rules that were very popular amongst friends --I even had a home rules event at Gen Con. I'll try and dig them up. Basically, you had spell casters that had to be put in play before they began generating mana (thus could be taken out), and they could cast spells like:

Strength: 1 mana - add 1 rubber band to your weapon this turn (we used a standard package of rubber bands like you'd use for a paper route)

Create wall: 1 mana per wall - take bricks and put them adjacent anywhere on the map

True shot: 1 mana - retake a missed shot.

Farshot: 2 mana - take a shot range 2. First shot you aren't allowed to capture, but you can on the second.

etc.

And a warlock who could summon creatures that took mulitple hits to capture. He could only use his summoning by sacrificing pieces equal to the hits of the new creature. It's a dangerous strategy since a piece out of play is captured, but having multiple hits gives you a chance to get in very close.

Knocking out a flag you could take a piece back as a rescue.

Hope that gives you some ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
wow- that's great. Thanks for the ideas. Let us know if you dig the rules up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'd put like 3 rubber bands on the catapult. Then we'd angle it forward to shoot such that it was essentially a high powered crossbow that could shoot over the tower's defending walls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.