Subject: Website Suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Would like to start my own DIY boardgame website in the theme of BGG or Gamerdad. I have limited web-design kmowledge and an income to match, but don't want to stoop to MYSPACE standards either.. could anyone more experienced give some advice on where to turn for economical but decent looking options to host a new site for noobs?
thanks! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Broadway
United Kingdom
Eastleigh
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I came across these two the other day. Basically they allow you to create and host a website entirely online with practically no HTML or CSS knowledge. I doubt you'll have much control over the structure of the site but they both seem pretty slick.

http://www.weebly.com/
http://www.jimdo.com/

Personally I use Typepad ( http://www.typepad.com ) and I see they have just added 'pages'. Typepad is a blogging system par excellence, and the addition of pages (basically blog entries without dates, which don't get added to the chronological archives) mean you can really create proper websites with it.

Typepad isn't that cheap (if you want to customise it) although if you are happy with one of the default themes it's a good choice for those on a budget. It's fairly simple to set up, although a general knowledge of blogging will help you get going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thanks Glum, i'll check into all three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Hey Glum-
As i've indicated i'm a complete noob at this. Could you explain the difference between a webpage and a "blog" page? Would the most basic typepad option cover my needs you think? thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
A 'blog' is a kind of web page that is generally used as a diary. A typical blog might be someone's holiday snaps, or a cooking site with new recipes added daily, or whatever. The idea is that you accumulate information rather than revising it -- old info never goes out of date.

A non-blog is, I guess, more general purpose, and doesn't automatically save old information. The advantage of a blog is that you get syndication built in, so that people can subscribe to your website (e.g. get an email when you add new info). The advantage of a non-blog is that you have more control over the design, features etc (if you're happy to write code).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
ahh...
and can blogs be found in typical search engines just as websites can? for instance if I call my blog "worthramblings@typlist could it be found by anyone? If not then how do you promote hits to the site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Yes, blogs can be found on search engines. It may take a while for the search engines to include your blog in their listings, though. (That's true for non-blogs as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools

Thanks again so much..
I think i'll give typepad a shot again since i just found out a professional webdesigner can start at four grand-ouchgoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Broadway
United Kingdom
Eastleigh
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Let me know if you get stuck with Typepad. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.