Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Susie Rogers
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were playing Tichu tonight and noticed that the cards are just shit. They are so thin and get messed up really quickly. This is the second time we've played Tichu and the cards are already looking ratty and like we need to replace them. 2 Plays (apparently, I'm rough on cards when I shuffle them).

Anyways, is there an edition with nicer card stock? Maybe something along the lines of regular playing card stock. Since we already know the rules, getting a foreign language edition wouldn't be much of a difference.

My husband is pulling for us to just buy 2 decks of bicycle cards and mark the Jokers, but I wanted to see if there were better cards out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen, sister, amen.
We have been trying to find a solution to this issue for quite a while.
Would be much easier if someone would just release a good quality card stock to go with a Tichu deck.

But marking the Jokers in order to build our own deck has proven to be challanging on its own.

We wanted to "blank" out all of the writing on the jokers in order to have a clean image. Then, we bought stamps from a scrapbook store in Mah Jong, Dog, Dragon, and Phoenix images.

Then went to work on a set of Bicycle cards.

Trouble is, no matter how we do it, the Jokers cards are all heavier then the rest of the cards and are easy to identify as the 4 specials while dealing them.

Does anyone out there have a good solution for making a high quality deck on cards to play Tichu.

If we could find a deck that was a great quality (Kem cards, for example) we would be more than willing to put out the money for a couple more decks.

And while we are at it, what's this with buying a package of Tichu cards with two decks and only one of them has the 4 specials included?
That is just cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the question I have to ask is "How long does a standard Bicycle / Bee deck last for you?".

I love card games, and I play a lot of them. I find that the Tichu / Cosmic Eidex decks are the same stock as standard playing cards, which, with the way I shuffle, makes them last easily 20+ games. Yes, they get wear, and yes, they can get a bit more difficult to shuffle, but I'm curious as to what your level of tolerance is for wear on decks.

Another, related point: if you think buying new decks is too expensive, have you considered simply sleeving the old one? Decent, Magic style card sleeves are 10$ for a box of 100, which would give your deck a significantly lengthened life span for the cost. I haven't done this to my Tichu or Eidex deck yet, but I have for other games with decidedly lighter stock (i.e.: Flaschenteufel, 2nd edition) and have been satisfied with the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
McGuit wrote:
We wanted to "blank" out all of the writing on the jokers in order to have a clean image. Then, we bought stamps from a scrapbook store in Mah Jong, Dog, Dragon, and Phoenix images.

Then went to work on a set of Bicycle cards.

Trouble is, no matter how we do it, the Jokers cards are all heavier then the rest of the cards and are easy to identify as the 4 specials while dealing them.

The way I did it (I've since bought a real deck and it's held up quite well through a dozen+ games... the box got quickly obliterated, my cards are doin' fine), I made my specials out of low-suited cards from a second identical deck. A lot more 'default open space' on Ace of Diamonds or a 2 of Hearts than on a typical joker.

That image is a little misleading; I realized after the fact that I had the Ace of Hearts and Ace of Diamonds inverted (I made the Dragon out of the Diamond ace and the Phoenix out of the Heart).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie Rogers
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
I think the question I have to ask is "How long does a standard Bicycle / Bee deck last for you?".

I love card games, and I play a lot of them. I find that the Tichu / Cosmic Eidex decks are the same stock as standard playing cards, which, with the way I shuffle, makes them last easily 20+ games. Yes, they get wear, and yes, they can get a bit more difficult to shuffle, but I'm curious as to what your level of tolerance is for wear on decks.

Another, related point: if you think buying new decks is too expensive, have you considered simply sleeving the old one? Decent, Magic style card sleeves are 10$ for a box of 100, which would give your deck a significantly lengthened life span for the cost. I haven't done this to my Tichu or Eidex deck yet, but I have for other games with decidedly lighter stock (i.e.: Flaschenteufel, 2nd edition) and have been satisfied with the results.

The bicycle decks we have last way longer than the Tichu decks hold up. They are thicker than the Tichu cards and hold up to more vigorous shuffling. The Tichu cards that we have actually remind me of those fake credit cards you get when buying a new wallet. I dunno, I just feel like they are crappy stock. I was wondering if it was just our edition though. We have the Abacus Spiele edition (which I am assuming is the standard English version).

We've sleeved some card games. Like we sleeved our Citadel character cards because they get handled so much in one game. I guess we could sleeve Tichu, but I'd almost rather just take a sharpy to bicycle cards before that.

Thanks for the example of self-made decks. Those are nice looking. I will pass it along to my husband.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be surprised if there was a difference between the different editions. I think my current one is a Fata Morgana double deck that came from Germany, but I would assume that the US decks are identical.

Self made decks are definitely an option if you don't like the actual Tichu card stock though. You only need four spare cards and a marker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.