Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
My beautiful wife married a Star Wars nerd, and then gestated, birthed and raised two more, without, I think, ever having even seen a Star Wars movie. Of course, she can sort-of name most of the significant figures in the pantheon—like any red-blooded American she can identify the hamburger clowns and knows that the dude strung up in the pointy buildings is Jesus—so she’s familiar with the larger cultural touchstones even if she doesn’t eat fast food or go to church. Darth Vader is the bad guy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are the good guys. There are stormtroopers and a Death Star. But it gets fuzzy beyond that.

Fig. 1 — Kinda hot.

So what, right?

Well, this Star Wars agnostic is going to go see Rogue One with her boss and coworkers tonight, and yeah, the rest of us are apoplectic with varying levels of disbelief and envy.

In preparation for the event she asked me to help her cram so she looks like she knows what she’s doing, and man, does it ever sound stupid once you start trying to explain it to a nonbeliever:

“So Star Wars Star Wars—the one you know from 1977—was actually Episode Four.”

“Why did they start with episode four?”

“Yeeeah—that’s a long story. The movie you’re going to see is the prequel to that one.”

“So it’s… episode three.”

“Uh—no.”

“What?!”

“We’re not going to talk about Episode Three—forget all that. In Star Wars Star Wars they blow up the Death Star, right?”

“Yes. Hey, why did they want to blow up the Death Star?”

I took a moment with this one.

“Well, first off, Death Star, secondly it blows up planets.”

“Does Darth Vader help them?”

“No—he rides around in it.”

“So the Death Star is like his tank?”

Beat.

“Sure. So this movie is the story about how they get the plans to blow it up in the first Star Wars movie.”

“In episode one.”

“No—don’t say that, don’t talk like that. Don’t mention ‘episodes’. Just stick to ‘Star Wars’ and you’ll be fine. So this is the movie before Star Wars.”

“And the stormtroopers are the good guys.”

“No, they’re the bad guys—the white is ironic.”

“Oh. Does Princess Leia have any stormtroopers or does she run around all by herself?”

And so on.

Fast-forward to last night—she gets home late and first thing through the door asks if any packages came for her. I reply in the negative and she begins excoriating Jeff Bezos and “guaranteed delivery days” and how critical it is that this package is here before Thursday—emphasis I take to mean it’s a work-related book or somesuch because otherwise why should the timing matter? I tell her that sometimes they come as late as eight pm and it’s only seven so there’s still a chance—

The doorbell rings and she bolts, coming back inside with an enormous box. “Wow,” she says, “they must be bigger than I thought!”

“What did you get?”

“Leia buns for everyone.”

Let that sink in for a second: Leia buns for everyone.

I don’t even think she knows the word “cosplay” and yet here we are. My beautiful, non-Star Wars wife is dressing up with her boss and coworkers to go see the latest Star Wars movie before anyone else in her family.

“No spoilers, Mom,” said my son.

She laughed. “I wouldn’t do that to you guys!”

“Yeah, but you won’t even know what’s a spoiler and what’s not, so you can’t say anything.”

I’ve got a bad feeling about this…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

“So Star Wars Star Wars—the one you know from 1977—was actually Episode Four.

Tripped right out of the gate, I see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Out of curiousity, did you bring up the Bothans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Crescent City
Northern California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made my day!

Thanks,
Robbo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:

I did indeed, and the fact that she would see many of them

Spoiler (click to reveal)
die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
thermogimp wrote:

I did indeed, and the fact that she would see many of them

Spoiler (click to reveal)
die.

Wasn't that the 2nd death star? I don't think we'll necessarily see it in Rogue One. Probably Rogue One and Three Eights will cover it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Crap. I've been out-Star-Warsed. I'll show myself out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:

See? You see how confusing it is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on finally converting her over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
thermogimp wrote:

See? You see how confusing it is?

It's alright, Bothans probably died for the first one, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Next, tell her Boba Fett started off as a cartoon character from a xmas special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Next, tell her Boba Fett started off as a cartoon character from a xmas special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Don't get me started on the Planet-based Death Planet from The Force Awakens. (That didn't merely require one to suspend disbelief, but hang it until dead.)

So it fired from where to where? Planet Death Planet was in the same solar system as all its targets? Wouldn't it have been easier (and much, much cheaper) to just... drop a rock on each one?

PS. It is only fitting that this thread should devolve into pointless nerd-squabbling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
robot You should have had her watch "Hardware Wars" with 'moi' "fav" character "4-Q-2"! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Don't get me started on the Planet-based Death Planet from The Force Awakens. (That didn't merely require one to suspend disbelief, but hang it until dead.)

So it fired from where to where? Planet Death Planet was in the same solar system as all its targets? Wouldn't it have been easier (and much, much cheaper) to just... drop a rock on each one?

PS. It is only fitting that this thread should devolve into pointless nerd-squabbling.

Oh, a free license to nerd-squabble!

It is clear from the workings of the Star Wars universe that Einsteinian physics (aka Special Relativity) doesn't apply*. Given that, just accelerating a rock up to some fraction of c and dropping it on a planet may not work as well. Plus shields**.

Also: It is specified by hand-wavy dude at the Special Briefing that Starkiller Base is, "Some kind of Hyper-Lightspeed Weapon." If it's a nifty-doodad-thingamajigger*** then it doesn't need to worry about being in the same solar system as its targets. It just pulls the trigger and shoots them from wherever it wants to wherever it wants.

* Seriously: Causality, FTL Travel, Relativity. Pick two.
** Which also violate known physics****.
*** I thought Star Trek was the one that went in for technobabble.
**** Which is why this is space opera and not science fiction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Honestly, how long does it take to build a Death Star (aka "Darth Vader's Tank")?

Because it's in the planning stages in Episode 2, construction has begun by the end of Episode 3, and finally completing the first test of its Planet-destroying Laser Gun in Episode 4.

So that's a heck of a long time. Approximately two decades (Earth Reckoning).

Which means either Death Star II (aka "Palpatine's Casket") was begun soon after work on Death Star I began . . . or they spent a lot of valuable Civilization points to rush the completion of the Space Wonder before the other Civ players.

The book 'Catalyst' (an otherwise dreadful slog) establishes that the Death Star I was built by Geonosians after the Republic reconquered their planet as the 'Republic battle station'. Those working on it thought/believed that Dooku was building his own (the plans, after all, originating from a Separatist world) and they were in a race to finish theirs first. It's not established in the novel whether Dooku ACTUALLY was or wasn't building one for the Separatists, but...well, I wouldn't put it past him. In any case, if it was being built, it never got completed (obviously) because Dooku was killed, the Clone Wars ended, and the droid armies shut down.

Wouldn't surprise me to find out that is where the Death Star II came from - once the Geonosian Death Star was destroyed, Palpatine had construction resume on the Endor Death Star. (Question being how long it would take him to find it, presuming he didn't know where it was in the first place)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Oh, I guess it was actually Phobos.

(Click for Bigly Size)

I wonder why they didn't use Deimos. It would have been easier.

C'mon, Drew! You can't leave us hanging! What happened to Wilma and Lt. Burke?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone ever really need a deathstar? Just throw some engines on a few giant asteroids, get them up to light speed and aim them through a planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
**** Which is why this is space opera and not science fiction.

QFT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, there's a "1st"-ever whence stated: "And we're two weeks late..." inferring Wilma's onset with "pregnancy"! Usually, the Father is informed after many another already 'heard' since: "Women!" Not even Adam were. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can't walk, crawl. If you can't crawl..... well, you know the rest.
badge
Any game is the right game with the right crowd.
mbmbmbmbmb
This whole business with episodes is why I can't have nice things. My wife is a trekkie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So at no point did you try to have her at least see the original?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for a check in from the wife.

Dear HiveGod Honey,

Yes, I did see the first Star Wars film in 1977 in a theater by myself because no one in my family would go and I wanted be a part of the nerd-fest I could see coming. Clearly my exposure was limited, so now I am just catching up--kinda of like the Lego problem I have. I appreciate your loving attention to my Star Wars education.

Oh yeah, I picked up a Rebel Alliance shirt to wear with my Leia buns tonight. Sorry you're not here to see that. Great news today! The big boss agreed to let our whole team fly Rebel Alliance flags outside our offices to distinguish our team from the rest of the teams on the floor of our building. Good thing that I will soon know what that flag means.

I'll try not to let out any spoilers or gloat too much that I got to see it before you and the kids.

May the force be with you.
Your loving wife,
Maya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
whistle He's "playing" HON Solo on the 'sofa' accompanied with "Choosepillowy" the 'Schmoopiee'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.