Subject: Want to get into this game, need advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
I want to buy this game but im not sure because we have to buy random boosters unlike netrunner

I wanted to know if its kinda easy to get everything or if its almost impossible unless spending thousand $

Also , is it better to buy multiple copy of starters pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Palacio
United States
suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say get at least one of each starter deck, then add some boosters or a booster box to have the chance to have a good deck to play, maybe 2.

If you want to be more sure about having a good deck to play, then 2 of the same starter deck will maximize you the chances to have a solid build of whatever starter you pick (Kylo or Rey)They both are solid characters to build around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://teamcovenant.com/product/star-wars-destiny-awakening...

This is your best value if you don't want to mess with any randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Palacio
United States
suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This will NOT help him to get into the game in any form...wait, maybe as a collectionist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
justrick wrote:
https://teamcovenant.com/product/star-wars-destiny-awakening...

This is your best value if you don't want to mess with any randomness.

Except you still only get 1x of the legendary cards so you will need another 3.2 booster boxes plus trades to have a full collection LCG style.

It's a CCG you will spend 600$+ if you want 2 of everything from boosters. I'd just buy one of each starter and 1 or 2 booster boxes. If you like it buy the singles you want your still missing, other wise sell it while prices for singles are still high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
gotten55 wrote:
This will NOT help him to get into the game in any form...wait, maybe as a collectionist.

He asked if it was easy to get EVERYTHING, not to get into the game.

Saga Sets are good if you want to bypass the randomness, but for a full playset of cards you would need to buy 2 as those sets only come with 1 of each legendaries. You are looking at a 600 USD investment.

Future expansions will have a similar number of cards and since they will be released three times per year, the anual investment would be something on around 1800 USD. 150 USD per months instead of the 15 USD for Netrunner or other LCG.

The other option is to buy boxes and trade. A case (6 boxes) would give you 36 leyendaries, which is 2 more than the 17x2 that you will need for a full playset. If you can trade the extra legendaries for your missing ones (trade by rarity), you could get a full playset (and a bunch of rares for trade or additional decks) for 540 USD (or less if you are lucky to get the boxes on sale).

If your gamegroup/tradegroup doesn't mind trading 1 legendary for 3 rares, then you "could" get a full playset with just 4 boxes by trading a lot. That would cost you something like 360 per expansion, or a box per month.

Secondary market for singles should help reduce the cost in some ways once it stabilizes (as right now, the prices are outrageous).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Palacio
United States
suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you read the title of the thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
gotten55 wrote:
Did you read the title of the thread?

Sure I did. Did you read his first post to know what he needed the advice for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
What is the point of the unique character if you need 2 copy of them to be useful? For example, luke skywalker need 15 points and if you have an other copy of him, it cost 20 but you have 2 dice. You can now get an other character that cost 10 for a total of 3 dice. The chance to get 2 copy of the same character is probably low from boosters so I guess the best is to buy 2 copies of the starters?

I wanted to get the collection from covenant but i really dont want to buy 2 sets. I was wondering if legendary character are kinda useless if you only have one copy. I wont be playin this game competively. Id just like to have all the cards when deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
nightwishpower wrote:
What is the point of the unique character if you need 2 copy of them to be useful? For example, luke skywalker need 15 points and if you have an other copy of him, it cost 20 but you have 2 dice. You can now get an other character that cost 10 for a total of 3 dice. The chance to get 2 copy of the same character is probably low from boosters so I guess the best is to buy 2 copies of the starters?

I wanted to get the collection from covenant but i really dont want to buy 2 sets. I was wondering if legendary character are kinda useless if you only have one copy. I wont be playin this game competively. Id just like to have all the cards when deck building.

Just created a new thread about this, it's really quite dumb what they have done with the Saga Collection. I assume myself included that anyone buying a package like that just wants a full play set. That probably means only 1 character as they are unique, however every other legendary you need two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:

If you want a complete set as a collector then get the saga, if you have to have everything and intend to play the game then get 2 saga sets but if all you're interested in is playing the game don't get hung up on thinking you need everything, especially legendary cards, just get a couple of starters and see if you like it then take it from there. The legendarys are not the must have powerhouses you might think they are, you can built very good decks without any legendary cards at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
What is the point of the unique character if you need 2 copy of them to be useful?

You don't need 2 copies of them to be useful. You build your own deck in this game so build a deck in which the character is most useful at 1 die. Luke's die is beastly but that comes at a high point cost, so depending on your deck you might want to run him at 1 die so you can include 2 die of another character.

Gibs55 wrote:
it's really quite dumb what they have done with the Saga Collection.

They couldn't sell it to you for $300 if they gave playsets of the legendaries. They would likely have to double the number of boxes opened to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
20 packs seems to be the sweet spot where I finally hit 1 of each character / alignment. Really all you need a red hero and yellow villain (to compliment the starters) but that took me 20 packs. With this buy in I can deck build some, going to get my butt kicked in tourneys but it's enough to have fun. I have 2 copies of many commons (3 of some) and a good smattering of what is out there.

2 of each starter lets you build a 30 point deck faster and gets you doubles of many good blue and red cards. There is a fair amount of waste in the 2nd starter and makes it more likely you'll get a dead booster for something you already have 2 of. At the same time it's the only way to get a 2nd Finn die, Mind Probe and Force throw which are really good in a blue deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Why not offer both options then? Collectors or full play set...

Yes you could order both but then you are getting a whole bunch of cards you dot need....at that point just buy boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Accident Gamer
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Welcome to CCGs. I believe you would benefit from understanding that buying into a CCG is completely different and requires a diff perspective than an LCG.

I really don't agree with the mindset of a 'playset' for destiny. I don't know any sane magic players (or any other ccg) that collect 4x of every card in the format for playing purposes.

Find an affiliation, color combo and archetype that you like, then 50-70% of the cards will become useless to you. Trade those cards for the ones that fit your deck/style. If a new style interests you, buy more packs or make more trades.

Also, I anticipate the singles market will be quite healthy for this game once the initial rush is over. With many Rares around $1 and a lot of good options for budget decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibs55 wrote:
Why not offer both options then? Collectors or full play set...

Yes you could order both but then you are getting a whole bunch of cards you dot need....at that point just buy boxes.

Because they would still have to charge you $600 for a full play set, why would anyone buy that when they could pay $600 for more. The 1 of each legendary is what makes the set cost $300 because of the number of boxes you have to open to even get a chance at 1 of each (minimum 3 boxes). I'm guessing that not including labor it costs Team Covenant close to $200 to actually get 1 saga set together, and the whole reason is the legendary cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that Team Covenant had a deal with FFG that they are distributing these saga sets. Not that they open box after box to put together sets for buyers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What gave you that idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I swore i read that but cannot find it. So clearly I was drunk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
I swore i read that but cannot find it. So clearly I was drunk.

You may have read that in the toxic garbage dumps that are the Destiny Facebook groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Palacio
United States
suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
x_chan wrote:
gotten55 wrote:

He asked if it was easy to get EVERYTHING, not to get into the game.
THIS confirms that you didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.