Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This card text says:
Quote:
During Take Actions Op, an active Band in same space as Tribe/Settlement may spend MPs equal to its strength, then make a Success Check. For each Success drawn, place one Ravaged counter on Tribe/Settlement in same space as Active Band.

Is this something you do independently of a Raid action? And if so, does it change how the Raid action is resolved in any way? For example, a Raid that draws 3 Success counters would normally place only 1 Ravage counter on its target. Does this card alter that? Or is this a separate thing with its own cost (2 MPs)?

I think probably this card is giving me another Player Action I can do during Take Actions, but would like confirmation on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
This card text says:
Quote:
During Take Actions Op, an active Band in same space as Tribe/Settlement may spend MPs equal to its strength, then make a Success Check. For each Success drawn, place one Ravaged counter on Tribe/Settlement in same space as Active Band.

Is this something you do independently of a Raid action? And if so, does it change how the Raid action is resolved in any way? For example, a Raid that draws 3 Success counters would normally place only 1 Ravage counter on its target. Does this card alter that? Or is this a separate thing with its own cost (2 MPs)?

I think probably this card is giving me another Player Action I can do during Take Actions, but would like confirmation on that.

See the bold text on the card that says: Action: Warpath

The card text that follows is the procedure for executing this new ACTION during a TAKE ACTIONS Operation.

See 1.3.3.D bullet points for the rule concerning this.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I also talked about the difference between Raid and Warpath in one of the tutorial videos. Here's the key difference:

RAID allows you to collect resources and place 1 Ravaged counter if you draw at least 1 Success.

WARPATH does not give you any resources for drawing Success. Instead, you get the opportunity to place 1 Ravaged counter per Success drawn -- thus allowing you the potential to place several Ravaged counters at once.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on a reading of the rules, it seems that you can use the Warfare 1 card's Warpath action against a Tribe counter with an Ally token, and the Ally token will be unaffected (as opposed to a Raid action where you roll against the Ally token to see if it remains). Is this correct? I suppose the idea is that allied tribes understand you have some sort of casus belli?

"Okay, you're trashing our tribe, but we understand your reasoning, so we're still friends..." :)

And does that also apply to the Settlement of an colonial enemy with a Peace token (I'm having a harder time figuring out the narrative of that scenario)?

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomChick wrote:
Based on a reading of the rules, it seems that you can use the Warfare 1 card's Warpath action against a Tribe counter with an Ally token, and the Ally token will be unaffected (as opposed to a Raid action where you roll against the Ally token to see if it remains). Is this correct? I suppose the idea is that allied tribes understand you have some sort of casus belli?

This is a case of having minimal amount of space on the card for text. MY DESIGN INTENT is that you would treat this like you would a Raid and roll for end of Alliance (with same modifiers). I'll update this in FAQ. I guess it never occurred to us to use Warfare against an Ally...

Quote:
And does that also apply to the Settlement of an colonial enemy with a Peace token (I'm having a harder time figuring out the narrative of that scenario)?

-Tom

Correct. Will clarify in FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn King
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since Warpath specifies Tribe/Settlement, does this imply that I can't do the action on a square enemy space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiohn wrote:
Since Warpath specifies Tribe/Settlement, does this imply that I can't do the action on a square enemy space?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn King
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting. After drawing the Taos Pueblo Trade card, I assumed I was wrong since the card specifically says you can't perform warpath actions on the west enemy square while the card is in play, implying that normally you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiohn wrote:
Interesting. After drawing the Taos Pueblo Trade card, I assumed I was wrong since the card specifically says you can't perform warpath actions on the west enemy square while the card is in play, implying that normally you can.

That's because once-upon-a-time the player could do Warpath in a square enemy space. Warpath used to be a staple player action until I added the Culture cards to the game. I separated Warpath action from the available player actions and made it part of a card. The function of this action is to KILL SETTLEMENTS and TRIBES.

I guess archaic language on the Taos card remained. I'll check over the rest of the cards when I get time later today just in case.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiohn wrote:

You'll note that Warpath explicitly says you can only do it in the same space as a Tribe or Settlement. The Taos Pueblo card's prohibition against Warpathing in the West square is really more redundant than misleading. :)

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Garlington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Using a warpath action, what happens to non-success counters drawn? Do they go into the enemy AP box or back into the draw cup in this action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpath doesn't alter Rule 2.9.2, so I think Step 4 is still the same (i.e., Instruction counters are resolved and the other non-Success counters go to the Enemy APs box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wxman40 wrote:
Using a warpath action, what happens to non-success counters drawn? Do they go into the enemy AP box or back into the draw cup in this action?

Into the AP box per 2.9.2 step 4.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Garlington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
So then I can also use a Mahamiana to try to draw one more counter from the cup to increase the chance of success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wxman40 wrote:
So then I can also use a Mahamiana to try to draw one more counter from the cup to increase the chance of success.

Correct. When the card says, "make a Success Check" my intent is that all steps from 2.9 apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.